Quantcast

Who uses a balance ball as their office chair?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Hooray, I finally did it--bought a Fit ball to use as my office chair! This is Day One.

I figure this is better for me than my office chair, 'cause lately I've been kicking my foot up on my CPU and slouching, which is really, really bad for my scoliosis. Plus, this will force me to work my abs and back all day.

Anyone else use a balance ball for a chair? What are your experiences? Do you love it? Do you hate it?

I'm not worried about knocking my head on my desk accidentally. If I do, it means I get to go home. :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I have one in my office that I use sometimes but I move around way too much for it to be an all the time kinda of thing.

I don't know the benefit I've gotten from it if any but its cool to have in my office so I can play gigantic basketball. I've fallen off of it a couple of time trying to reach stuff.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
:thumb: I've been sitting on a fit ball at work for a year or two now. I wouldn't go back to an office chair at this point. It took me a week or two to get used to sitting on it and be able to sit on it all day. After about a month I got rid of my chair all together. You will still learn how to slouch but it's different. Just watch out for those hangover's at work, I have to go in search of a chair if I drank a few too many the night before. ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DRB said:
I have one in my office that I use sometimes but I move around way too much for it to be an all the time kinda of thing.

I don't know the benefit I've gotten from it if any but its cool to have in my office so I can play gigantic basketball. I've fallen off of it a couple of time trying to reach stuff.
either you move around too much or your balance is too off from being drunk at work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm either on the couch or the massage chair when not at my desk. Since I don't have a phone, there is no need to be at my desk for the most part. The whole office is wireless and there are random AC cords just about everywhere in case my battery starts to fade.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When I worked at a newspaper all the designers had them because designers are hip and progressive and like to be thought of as hip and progressive.

The real reason was that every single one of them said it helped them stay awake.:rofl:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Wouldn't that hurt your back after a while?

In an eight hour work day, I am sitting in my chair, well, eight hours. Most the time I am slumped down leading backwards.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I don't have one at the office, but I watch TV on mine.
If you want to up the balace part, roll onto the ball knees first, then raise up and balance on your Knee/shins. This works your core more, and is actually fun.
You may want to try a spotter the first time you try it though, I have seen a few face plants at the gym from this.:)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I use one at home (to work out) but I don't get the opportunity to sit down much at work. I think I am going to try watching television on mine now (thanks Jeremy R) although it will be hard with the new leather sofa :think:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Seems like it would be too low for my desk... got any pictures?!?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
stinkyboy said:
If you can talk your company into buying you an Aeron, you should:

We have those. I replaced mine with a 69 dollar chair from Office Max. I don't see what the big deal is (especially for the price).

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
dump said:
Seems like it would be too low for my desk... got any pictures?!?
no pics. but I have a 65 cm ball and it just barely rolls under my desk w/o me on it. When I'm sitting on it my legs fit under my desk w/o any problems and it puts my arms/hands at the perfect level for my keyboard. It was a little weird getting my monitor at the right height but I just got an LCD with an adjustable height stand so that works out really well. The only thing I had to really get used to was standing up to turn around and talk to someone. That and I have to remember not to bounce any when I'm chatting with people. That becomes a big distraction because people are not used to it. :rofl:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Morryjg said:
no pics. but I have a 65 cm ball and it just barely rolls under my desk w/o me on it. When I'm sitting on it my legs fit under my desk w/o any problems and it puts my arms/hands at the perfect level for my keyboard. It was a little weird getting my monitor at the right height but I just got an LCD with an adjustable height stand so that works out really well. The only thing I had to really get used to was standing up to turn around and talk to someone. That and I have to remember not to bounce any when I'm chatting with people. That becomes a big distraction because people are not used to it. :rofl:
Gotcha. This sounds interesting because I'd love to work on my posture while @ work. I very much do the legs up on my CPU/Box and slouch/recline in my office chair :(

Jeremy R said:
If you want to up the balace part, roll onto the ball knees first, then raise up and balance on your Knee/shins. This works your core more, and is actually fun.
You may want to try a spotter the first time you try it though, I have seen a few face plants at the gym from this.:)
omg I've seen 1 girl at the gym do this - I can't do it for the life of me! She does bicep curls kneeling on the thing!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
MtnBikerChk said:
omg I've seen 1 girl at the gym do this - I can't do it for the life of me! She does bicep curls kneeling on the thing!
I do too. It pisses my wife off so bad. One time she came home, and I was eating a bowl of cereal while balancing on it watching TV.:)

What is harder than that though is standing on a medicine ball.
That one is super sketch.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I was a member at 24hr fitness, I used a ball for about half my workout. If you do things like fly's on a ball (even harder if you do one arm at a time), you can feel it work your core.

My new gym doesn't have them and I don't want to bring more crap to the gym. I do want to get one for home though (to work out on, I still prefer my wife, thanks).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I used to work as a personal trainer, and taught classes with the balls. I had a 4 inch thick book of all the crap the balls are good for. Really amazing stuff. If you are hyper or ADD they will help you focus too (Alledegdly) not to mention the core strength/posture issues. Good on you, and let us know how it works in the long run...

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
MtnBikerChk said:
A dude I ride with every great once and a while can do squats while standing on it. :help: :mumble:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Ive started using one a couple of weeks ago, and like it. However I need a chair as backup especially when youre really tired and just need to be in a more relaxed position.
But definately worth it, you feel like youve done something after sitting on the ball for an extended period of time

Jeremy R said:
One of the most impressive things i have seen is the above ie balance on the ball using your knees/shins but the person was chest passing a light medicine ball to a partner and then receiving a pass back, while still balancing on the ball. Definately not an easy thing to do

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dump said:
Gotcha. This sounds interesting because I'd love to work on my posture while @ work. I very much do the legs up on my CPU/Box and slouch/recline in my office chair :(
I do the same thing. I think my chick has a balance ball now..going to look. Not sure what size it is though.

edit: It appears to be much too small, I need to head to costco and get a larger one.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
MtnBikerChk said:
That's Chek technique...it's awesome and a very serious way to get fit. It focuses on core strengthening when you do ANY excercise, curling, bench press, anything. Very fun too.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
RaID said:
One of the most impressive things i have seen is the above ie balance on the ball using your knees/shins but the person was chest passing a light medicine ball to a partner and then receiving a pass back, while still balancing on the ball. Definately not an easy thing to do
Sweet, I will try that tonight.
Last night, I did the alternating bicep curls on the balance ball.
Its crazy, you feel it in alot of other places besides your arms.
You do use your whole core on those moves for sure.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Update: I'm digging the balance ball as a chair. I can only do a few hours at a time because I'm not used to it and my back hurts slightly. So I rest, and then sit on it again in a few hours.

Apparently when I was out yesterday, one of my least favorite co-workers, who also happens to be very large, came in here and tried to do some crunches on it. Yuck.:dead:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
RaID said:
A year or two ago the German womens bobsleigh team was working out in the University gym. They were doing a similar thing but rather than slowly getting on the ball and balancing on their shins, they were jumping up onto it and balancing on their feet. They then proceded to do squats. :dead: I'd like to see the mishaps on the first day of trying it.

Those were some big b!tches. Only time in my working out career that I've seen the need for someone to sit on top of the leg press rack to add weight.

I generally just do one legged squats on the pancake dealy (sit fit ball, I think)