Quantcast

Who wants to go Swimming??

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
This beach is about 3 miles from where I work. They closed it yesterday because, well umm....

I have been in the water, surfing or boogey boarding with "A" shark, but thats a freaking lot of sharks!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
rvlacich said:
I saw on the news that that type of shark mostly eats very small fish.
I'd love to see that, but I wouldn't get anywhere near the water. :help:
Most sharks only "eat" small fish, however they will take a bite outta ya for a taste, especially if you are in the water 200 yards from a fishing pier where they are THROWING CHUM in the water.

They are "Spinner" sharks, that usually range from 3-6 feet.

There are always sharks in the water in South Florida, however I have never seen THAT many together. In the one picture those people are probably only in knee deep water, however in the other picture where you can see the shark and the whitecap the water is probably about the same depth!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I will be swimming a lot this summer as the house I just bought has an in-gorund pool!

(Nothing to do with anything...My wife saw a shark when we were snorkelling in Maui. Freaked her out good)

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Sharks in Norther waters. Shark sightings off the boat were fairly common as we sailed around Conn., L.I., and the Mass. coast. One time, on a 21 foot sailboat,we saw a thresher longer then the boat we were on, about a mile outside of the great salt pond on Block Island. Then while crossing the Gulf of Maine (Mass coast north of the Cape) a few very large sharks came cruising by. They were either Great whites or Bulls or Blue sharks as best we can figure, and my Bro. was sure that the biggest one (20+ feet and a few thousand pounds) was a white. They are out there. remember the summer of 2001, before 9/11, what the big news story was? All the shark attacks, some in Fla., some in N. Carolina...Your chances are still better to be killed n your car, but being eaten to death has to be one of the worst ways to go.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
That's awesome. I used to live in FL and have lots of relatives there. I can remember seeing some sharks when I was out swimming (mostly sand sharks--I think that's what they're called) down the coast a little ways (Cocoa Beach area I think). My mother was freaked out and wouldn't let us swim for a while. That being said, I have never seen that many sharks at once :D

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
JerseyDave said:
All the shark attacks, some in Fla., some in N. Carolina...Your chances are still better to be killed n your car, but being eaten to death has to be one of the worst ways to go.
Florida has more shark attacks then any where in the world. However Australia has the most fatal shark attacks. Luckily our sharks just bite ya and move on. :rolleyes:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've surfed with dolphins before, at least, I think they were dolphins!

Yikes, that would scare the sh!t out of me....for real!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
There are always sharks in the water in South Florida, however I have never seen THAT many together. In the one picture those people are probably only in knee deep water, however in the other picture where you can see the shark and the whitecap the water is probably about the same depth!
Only knee deep....that's still to close for me because those buggers can move a hell of a lot faster than me in water!

The pics are cool though!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I grew up on an island off the coast of Maine. We went tuna fishing every summer as part of a local tuna tournement and we saw some big sharks for sure! Our boat was 40' long and we saw a Great White that was ay least 1/2 the length of the boat! This was in the late 70's and Jaws was still fresh in everyone's minds. I had nightmares for years about falling overboard and getting eaten by sharks.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Heidi said:
I've surfed with dolphins before, at least, I think they were dolphins!

Yikes, that would scare the sh!t out of me....for real!
I have gone to stand up on my board (this is a long time ago), looked down and seen a shark (also a large ray) surfing the same wave as me. Needless to say I never got up, probably pee'd myself, rode that thing all the way to the shore and promptly curled up in a ball on the sand.

Luckily in Florida Shark's food of choice is fish, not seals (which is what you look like from the bottom on a surf board).

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
http://www.sharkattackphotos.com/
http://www.maneatingsharks.com/

Great whites average 12 to 16 feet long (3.7-4.9 m) long. The biggest great white shark on record was 23 feet (seven m) long, weighing about 7,000 pounds (3200 kg). Females are larger than males, as with most sharks. Shark pups can be over five feet (1.5 m) long at birth.

The Tiger shark is one of the largest sharks in the world, and adult specimens commonly reaches lengths of 325-425 cm (10-14 ft) On average they are about 10 feet (3 m) long and weigh over 385-635 kg (850-1400 lbs).

The bull shark is one of the most frequent attacker of people, as it swims in very shallow waters where people swim and is an aggressive shark.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
People always ask me if I've seen a shark while surfing here in Santa Cruz, to tell the truth I've actually seen almost every type of sea life except one.

So that could prove one of two things, either they are just not lurking around where all the seals and surfers are playing...or you will never really see it before it gets you. Good thing Humans don't taste all nice and fatty like seals do; that's our only saving grace...bad taste and the lack of chewy texture.

On a side note, isn't it really weird how animals will surf waves just like people will? I've had some porpoises stop at the reef I was surfing and wait for the next set wave (not just ANY wave, they waited right next to me for a big one!). Another time I almost dropped in on a sea lion body surfing a perfect 4 ft peeler. She gave me the most casual look as she went by.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
El_Chimichanga said:
On a side note, isn't it really weird how animals will surf waves just like people will? I've had some porpoises stop at the reef I was surfing and wait for the next set wave (not just ANY wave, they waited right next to me for a big one!). Another time I almost dropped in on a sea lion body surfing a perfect 4 ft peeler. She gave me the most casual look as she went by.
Its not weird, just goes to show you how smart surfers are (about just as smart as seals and dolphins) :eviltongu

I am kidding, it is pretty cool.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
UGH. Those pictures look like a Revell modell kit of a man or something.

*NEW* Snap-tite life size man model!

Attach legs and lower torso to upper torso, attach arms, finished!

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
there was a pretty big (~15ft) great white trolling around in one of the shallow salt ponds on the Cape last summer. It was fishing in there for more than a week, then just took off

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Did anyone see that made for tv movie

SPRING BREAK SHARK ATTACK.....

Classic!
ok i was bored and i don't have cable.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Big_Papa1080 said:
um... how 'bout no?
The one near the farallons they will put you in the cage with a pro diver and you get a dry suit...they say that it's not typical behavior for the sharks to attack the cage and that they monitor the shark activity...I'm really curious...I think it would be really cool. I also think I would probably die of a heart attack. Not sure if I could do it. I get scared of tiny fish snorkeling, but if I'm covered with a dry suit and in a cage...probably not.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
dh girlie said:
The one near the farallons they will put you in the cage with a pro diver and you get a dry suit...they say that it's not typical behavior for the sharks to attack the cage and that they monitor the shark activity...I'm really curious...I think it would be really cool. I also think I would probably die of a heart attack. Not sure if I could do it. I get scared of tiny fish snorkeling, but if I'm covered with a dry suit and in a cage...probably not.

I would do it, for sure.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Isn't that the same beach where a female boogie boarder was killed by a shark a few days ago? That's just crazy...

When I used to surf, I always worried about a shark attack. However, since I live in Southern California, the water is so dirty you probably wouldn't see a shark until came out of the water.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Hutto was attacked while fishing in waist-deep water off Cape San Blas, a vacation destination about 80 miles southeast of Destin, where a shark killed 14-year-old Jamie Marie Daigle of Gonzales, La., on Saturday
Close enough.

One of the guys that tried to help the girl is a Vol. Fireman from GA, he was all over the news yesterday.

Hutto's got some good friends. They stayed and beat the shark off of him.

The boy was fishing with two friends when the shark bit him in the right thigh, nearly severing his leg, Gulf County Sheriff's Capt. Bobby Plair said.

The three tried to wrestle the shark off the boy, hitting it in the nose several times. Hutto was pulled ashore by his friends, and a doctor who happened to be nearby began treatment before he was taken to the hospital, Plair said.