Quantcast

Who was in the mountains this weekend?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Anyone see any suspicious looking dudes while riding?

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/702714.html

Manhunt continues in N.C. mountains
STEVE LYTTLE
slyttle@charlotteobserver.com
A manhunt continues this morning in Pisgah National Forest in the northwest mountains of North Carolina, as authorities search for a man wanted in connection with a home invasion early Sunday morning near Hickory.

Police are looking for Matthew Douglas Saunders, 29, who is wanted in connection with a crime in the town of Long View, in Catawba County.

Authorities from Burke and Avery counties searched until dusk Sunday evening in the Table Rock area for Saunders, who escaped after leading police on a 35-mile chase through Catawba and Burke counties.

Police say it began about 5 a.m. Sunday, when a man broke into a Long View residence and struck two residents. The victims were able to escape and contact police. According to police, the suspect drove off in the victims' vehicle.

Police followed, spotting the vehicle near Morganton. Burke County authorities say they twice used stop sticks, in an effort to halt the vehicle. The suspect drove for more than 10 miles on flat tires, they say, before finally stopping the vehicle on Spence Ridge Trail, near the national forest. After being confronted by officers, police say, the suspect fled into a wooded area.

Police used dog search units Sunday afternoon to find the suspect but he remains at large this morning.

Saunders is described as a white male, about 5 feet 10 and 180 pounds. He has brown hair, blue eyes, and tattoos on his arms. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt and camouflage shorts.

Anyone seeing the suspect is asked to call Long View police

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
If the police used stop sticks, followed the suspect for 10 miles, and finally got him to stop, how did he get away? I'm sure the officers had him at gunpoint and should have either had him cuffed or ziptied. Or maybe not. The only suspicious characters that I saw this weekend were friends and family.

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
When we passed the dirt road you climb out of Rasberry on at about 9:45 there was 2 Sheriffs and one had an AR15 hanging in front of him. When we got up to Gingercake turn off there was about 10 squad cars and they were stopping everybody. I asked what the deal was and was told the story and to look for a guy about 5-7 to 5-10 white shirt, camo cargos, and tatts on his arms. I was pretty thankfull JeffKill wasnt with us cause it would have prolly delayed our ride.lol Rasberry was closed so we rode Greentown and Beehive then upper nad lower Headley. They did find the guy.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
When we passed the dirt road you climb out of Rasberry on at about 9:45 there was 2 Sheriffs and one had an AR15 hanging in front of him. When we got up to Gingercake turn off there was about 10 squad cars and they were stopping everybody. I asked what the deal was and was told the story and to look for a guy about 5-7 to 5-10 white shirt, camo cargos, and tatts on his arms. I was pretty thankfull JeffKill wasnt with us cause it would have prolly delayed our ride.lol Rasberry was closed so we rode Greentown and Beehive then upper nad lower Headley. They did find the guy.

I thought you fvcks were gonna do Heartbreak?

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
OG wanted to ride with us and didn't want to drive all the way out there from Globe, don't blaim him. Plus we where able to get more riding in at Wilsons. BTW if anyone rides Headley don't go all the way to the end where the humps drop into the little parking/camping area. Some wise ass camper felt like that would be a perfect place to take a big nasty Shlt.:rant: I almost just threw my bike in the creek and left it cause I rolled right through that shlt.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
:crazy:

Did you get your bike yet?

Yes

Talked to Demo last night. Paris tomorrow, Wednesday (hopefully, I have been stuck at work EVERYNIGHT lately).

It even has white bars on them, which I left really wide when I first got it cause someone kept saying how great wide bars are. Then I cut them down after a few rides. :pirate2:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It even has white bars on them, which I left really wide when I first got it cause someone kept saying how great wide bars are. Then I cut them down after a few rides. :pirate2:
I like the wide bars on my DH bike, but I probably wouldnt leave them that wide on a trail bike. Did you go down beehive or anything like that before you cut them?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I like the wide bars on my DH bike, but I probably wouldnt leave them that wide on a trail bike. Did you go down beehive or anything like that before you cut them?

Not that I remember (I might have). I think I just rode locally since the new bars, it was the pedaling position that felt weird with them that far out. However they are still 1/2 wider then my old bars.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
is that the new Bullit? Is there an advantage to going with it instead of the VPP bikes? price or weight or something? Not doubting it's a fun ride, just I'd think the VPP would be a better buy with that much travel from the same manufacturer unless there is a decent cost savings.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
is that the new Bullit? Is there an advantage to going with it instead of the VPP bikes? price or weight or something? Not doubting it's a fun ride, just I'd think the VPP would be a better buy with that much travel from the same manufacturer unless there is a decent cost savings.
No, that is a new 07 Heckler (the 08 is the same but with different pivot bearings). Thanks to a LBS (I-Ride Cycles in Huntersville) they wanted to get rid of the frame while I was looking for a replacement. So for less than what SC would sell me a "Crash replacement" front and rear triangle, PLUS me trying to find a shock on the aftermarket (because its not the same eye2eye length or stroke of my old shock), I had a whole new Frame and Shock.

Anyway, that is the short version.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I feel a little stupid about this, because I ride this area all the time, although I was not riding when he killed his wife.

But I am pretty sure I ride less than 250 feet from the grave.

(07-07) 20:11 PDT OAKLAND -- Convicted killer Hans Reiser led police Monday to what he said was the body of his wife in the Oakland hills just two days before he was to be sentenced for first-degree murder, authorities said.

Reiser, who had proclaimed his innocence from the day his estranged wife, Nina, was last seen in September 2006, agreed to reveal the location of her body in exchange for a deal in which he would be sentenced for second-degree murder rather than the first-degree murder conviction a jury returned against him in April, according to officials with knowledge of the case.

Reiser also acknowledged that he and his wife had fought and that he had strangled her, a source familiar with the investigation said.

The maximum sentence Reiser could receive for second-degree murder is 15 years to life. Reiser had faced a term of 25 years to life under his first-degree murder conviction.

The remains that Reiser revealed Monday were found about 4 p.m. buried on the side of a steep hill off a deer trail between Redwood Regional Park and the Huckleberry Botanic Regional Preserve, less than 200 yards behind a house on Skyline Boulevard, said Reiser's attorney, William Du Bois, who accompanied his client to the site.

The body was less than half a mile from the home on Exeter Drive where Reiser lived with his mother, and where Nina Reiser, 31, was last seen alive Sept. 3, 2006