Quantcast

Who wears a freakin watch these days other than rappers?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Is a timepiece needed these days? I saw a big UK MTB mag and everyone seemed to be wearing a watch... They even had watch ads. You people have cell phones right?

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I wear a watch. I like it. I used to just use my cell phone. The watch is nice, it was a gift of X-Mas, a Nixon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wear a watch. My cellphones stay on my desk. My watch also has a built in altimeter for tracking climbs on the bike.

J

JRB

Craw said:
I wear a watch.
:stupid: people that leave their cell phones on all the time are annoying. If they could remember the ringer, fine. They can't. Cell phones are stupid.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Nixon makes good watches, they are nice, good craftsmenship, but I have not used a watch for years, maybe cuz I was still in school. But honestly I have not had a watch for about 5 years.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
It makes me want to kick people in the nuts when I see them dig around in their jacket or whip out their cell phone from their handy little holster just to see what time it is. Watches are good.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I need to get a watch for this summer, prolly sumtin with, altimeter,barometer, so on and so forth. I plan on goin on a 2 week hiking trip in the Olympic Mountain at the end of this summer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i dislike wearing a watch. it always seems to get caught when jamming yr hands in yr pockets. if a mobile phone can serve multiple functions, why carry redundant equipment?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I wear a watch whether or not I have a cell phone (which I don't right now, since I cancelled it a couple months ago).

Why should I carry a cellphone everywhere when my watch just stays on my wrist?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
stinkyboy said:
Is a timepiece needed these days? I saw a big UK MTB mag and everyone seemed to be wearing a watch... They even had watch ads. You people have cell phones right?
Don't carry a watch, don't own a cell phone. That's right, I'm the annoying guy who always asks the time. Actually I usually just use the sun's position to tell me the time. If it's nigh I usually don't care what time it is. Also, asking the time is a good way to introduce myself to girls....as the idiot who refuses to use modern technology.

I really like watches, but I always seem to damage them. I also have thin wrists and they tend to be fairly uncomfortable(I do have 3 or 4 nice watches though...2 or 3 Swiss Army and a Rusty Branded Nixon watch). If I worked in an office I'd probably wear a watch as I think they are classy and look good. Since I'm in college and spend most of my time by a computer or on my bike or rock climbing or around people more than willing to whip out a cell phone I don't see a point.

The Ito

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I wear a watch on night rides so I know how much juice I have left in my batteries. I stopped bringing my cell phone on rides after I broke two by crashing on them.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
yonton228 said:
I need to get a watch for this summer, prolly sumtin with, altimeter,barometer, so on and so forth. I plan on goin on a 2 week hiking trip in the Olympic Mountain at the end of this summer.
Parents gave me a Suunto Observer for B-day. It's great for skiing, etc since it counts vert distance, number of runs, etc.

I always wear that or either of my other 2 watches because I think looking at my phone all the time is obnoxious and I tend to not have it on me anyway...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
stinkyboy said:
Not I... I have a cell so I really dont even carry a watch anymore. However if the ever have a watch cell phone... OMG!

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
I wear a watch, and get pissd off when I forget it. My waterproof metal Timex digital is broken at the minute so I have a somewhat more stylish but much more fragile analog one, which means I have to take it off for riding because I fall too much.

Every time I look at my bare wrist it annoys me.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Darkreaper said:
Every time I look at my bare wrist it annoys me.
Tanlines?

SkaredShtles said:
So *you're* that dude riding all the trails on a rigid steel bike with all the Suntour components! :thumb:

-S.S.-
Actually I do ride a rigid steel bike, but it's a singlespeed....no gears, no suntour :nope: :)

The Ito

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
ito said:
Tanlines?
Well, I do have as much of a tanline as I can get in Ireland (i.e. bugger all) but it's mainly because I have worn a watch since... gods, I can't even remember when, but I probably had a few years left in single figures. I swap wrist every now and then for variety's sake but when I want the time, I check my wrist. It's that natural and that annoying when I can't.

I needs a new sports watch :mumble:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i hardly ever take my watch off. only to do the dishes and to shower. other than that i always have it. i have a couple of back ups laying around just in case i lose my main one.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
strange...
i thought wearing watch was normal, christ! i feel naked without mine.
i've always worn a watch, only take it off when i go to bed, shower, etc apart from that i always have it with me, if for some reason i forget it it totally buggers me up for the day, i feel lost.
i have a mobile as well but never really thought about looking at it to get the time, i only use it for calls and wakeup alarm.

most people i know wear watches as well.