Quantcast

Who wears a freakin watch these days other than rappers?

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Strange? Fine, if we're going by stereotypes we'll be the smoking punks, you be the gun totin', fag-hatin, tobacco-chewin, head-bashin intellectually challenged rednecks who elected Bush :p

Sorry, slightly off-topic there :rolleyes:. Possibly there is more of a watch culture in the UK than the USA? Debate, anyone?

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Because your puppet leader is the trigger-happy idiot with nukes. We elected a guy with common sense, if a disturbing lack of morals.

Although I didn't have any part in electing him - N. Ireland votes people into the UK parliament but not from the major parties, so we have sweet f.a. say in who governs us.

:rolleyes:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have a dozen or so watches, all broken. I used to wear them but kept breaking them. From then on I just kinda winged it where time was concerned. Now work makes me carry a pager 24/7 so I now know what time it is.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Darkreaper said:
Because your puppet leader is the trigger-happy idiot with nukes. We elected a guy with common sense, if a disturbing lack of morals.
All right, all right, take it easy bloke. How's about some sick euro ride pix. The Monkeys might enjoy that more than polical prattle... Post up!
:thumb:

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i like having a watch on just because if i'm riding around campus, it sucks to have to stop and check your phone to see if class starts soon.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have quite a few...
my daily watches are a tissot and very slim very-small-dial steel generic watch made by my mom´s company...

i wear a watch all the time. on very special ocassions i wear a steel daytona, or a steel-gold submariner (my favorite watch ever)....

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ALEXIS_DH said:
i have quite a few...
my daily watches are a tissot and very slim very-small-dial steel generic watch made by my mom´s company...

i wear a watch all the time. on very special ocassions i wear a steel daytona, or a steel-gold submariner (my favorite watch ever)....

:eviltongu

Must be nize.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
use to be the annoying cell phone checker but just bought a real nice citizen titanium. Besides I quit carrying the cellphone at work heard a report that they could cause guys to go sterile. Well the wife is pregnant now dont know if it really had an effect or not.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm with the angry Scotsmen on this one... (hell, I'm with angry Scotsmen on most issues, especially offline...)

You people don't wear watches?? Jeez. Even when cell phones finally mutate into all purpose communication/data devices, I'll still be wearing a watch, unless the damned thing is plugged into my head and giving me an on-demand retinal display of the time. Edit: or, of course, mounted on my wrist.

MD

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
seems to me having to pull out and flip open a phone to check the time would be as annoying as using a pocket watch, plus the risk of dropping it. A watch, you just flip your wrist.

I've also found sports watches to be useful for other things; I use the timer function when I'm cooking something on the grilll. And for our friends in the UK, you can also set the timer so you don't forget your tea when it's done steeping.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I feel nekkid without a watch, my job dictates I need one.
The only time I don't wear one is when I'm riding.

I picked up a Japanese solar powered Alba while in Asia. Awesome watch!
No more batteries, ever!
Also picked up a carbon-fibre face Alba, for dressy occasions.

Nice watches, and not too expensive.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MikeD said:
I'm with the angry Scotsmen on this one... (hell, I'm with angry Scotsmen on most issues, especially offline...)

You people don't wear watches?? Jeez. Even when cell phones finally mutate into all purpose communication/data devices, I'll still be wearing a watch
You see, I don't wear a watch because 99.9999% of the time, I don't care what time it is. :D

It's a wonderful way to live. :thumb:

-S.S.-

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I have to wear a watch, I feel naked without one. I wear my Nixon Roadie most of the time.

But I also have a nice Fossil watch that my ex-wife's step-father gave to me. However, the glass has to be replaced. I had a 12" crescent wrench fall and land on my wrist. It's a good thing I was wearing it. Who knew that a watch made a decent piece of safety equipment too?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When I'm at work I use the clock on my PC. When I'm not at work I don't care what time it is. I can take or leave watches. I currently don't have one. I occasionally use my cell to tell me the time. Damn this is a pointless thread. What time is it?

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
0752 GMT. To the people who use the sun - whaddya do when the clouds appear? Maybe it isnt that much of a problem for you - I sure as hell couldnt rely on being able to see the sun...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
wow I never really looked at the nixon line of watches... they are pretty cool looking.. Im gonna have to order one or two.. thanks!!!!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I love watches... wear them every day. It's really my big weakness that I can't really justify. I've probably got as much money invested in watches as I do in my bike. And no, I DO NOT have a cell phone... and I don't plan to get one any time soon.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
yonton228 said:
How much did that Ken Cole watch cost, his clothing line is expensive as hell.
Actually, only about $100 on sale. I've had more expensive watches before and broken or scratched up them all. This one is very low profile on the wrist, so I'm not always banging it into doorframes, etc. The glass is very scratch-resistent, too. It's waterproof and solid-stainless...something my sensitive skin requires lest I develop a wrist rash.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i love watches. i just don't care to drop the $$$ money on them. i like going into jewelry stores just to look at the watches.

are those nixon watches decent stuff, or just trendy gimick?

i haven't found an analog watch i've liked since this black Fossil i had 9 or 10yrs ago. it was badass, but i gave it to my dad. today, i alternate between a Polar HRM and a Timex Ironman.

BrokenChain said:
I have to wear a watch, I feel naked without one. I wear my Nixon Roadie most of the time.

i dig. how wide is it?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
All the people I associate with, that soley use their cell as a watch, are pompous tools. Now that doesn't mean all of them are....maybe I have a bad batch? :)

I need a new watch. :( I busted it while riding dirt bikes. Now I need to find another one that I am comfortable with. *sigh* It is important it is comfortable and clean. I perfer anolog over digi....jsut a classic style guy I guess. I don't need alarms and other bells and whistles. Maybe a back lit dial....those are handy sometimes.

Watches are superior over Cell phones for time keeping.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
RhinofromWA said:
All the people I associate with, that soley use their cell as a watch, are pompous tools.
People who are constantly on the phone, or have some incredibly bad ring tone, or constantly send text messages (with the key beep on = even worse) are tools.

Glancing at your phone to get the time as opposed to a watch makes ya pompous?!
:think:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stinkyboy said:
People who are constantly on the phone, or have some incredibly bad ring tone, or constantly send text messages (with the key beep on = even worse) are tools.

Glancing at your phone to get the time as opposed to a watch makes ya pompous?!
:think:
If they believe the lack of watch because they are to important to wear one.....and need to drag their phone out for show...

yes. Posuers. You truely should be happy you haven't met my cell phone only friends. ;)

Maybe it is just me but in the years I spent as a public accountant....time was very important to keep track of. There is no way to work and track time efficiently with a phone. A inexpensive watch is better built than a expensive phone anyway. I would brake them if I had to fumble with them all the time.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
RhinofromWA said:
Maybe it is just me but in the years I spent as a public accountant
Old school conservative?

I still have several watches (1956 Bulova with a lizard band is my fave), but I used to wear ties, long pants and attend way too many meetings. I came to Arizona years ago and shed all that nonsense... Be free, be free.