Quantcast

who would do this? urban dh race

silversurfer

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
wet hole
alright, I got a goofy idea. How bout a DH race from capitol hill to the waterfront using freeway park, harbor steps or benaroya hall, and the pike place hillclimb as part of the course. This does mean a few blocks of climbing thrown in or just skip the hillclimb stairs and end at university.

It would probably happen some summer night around 11:00 (less traffic, fewer risks, less attention), be totally underground, probably illegal, be a time trial (1-at-a-time starts) and end with crappy homemade trophies, a little urban sesh, and drunken idiocy at downtown or belltown bars.

what does everyone think? who would be in? ideas? expectations? gripes?

brian

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
That sounds like fun. Is there points for doing tricks? Maybe do the Benaroya stairs to SAM stairs to Harbor Step.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
dude i am 100% in, but it would be so much tighter if it was just a giant 4cross race down there.... that would be like somthing out of jackass

id totally be in, but i think it would be better if it was CRAZIER!

and do it during the day-- when we ride to catch the metro, we are weaving in and out of people and ****

Jun 18, 2004
silversurfer said:
alright, I got a goofy idea. How bout a DH race from capitol hill to the waterfront using freeway park, harbor steps or benaroya hall, and the pike place hillclimb as part of the course.
brian
We did that on a rainy night in Jan... but we didn't do the trophy thing.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
silversurfer said:
It would probably happen some summer night around 11:00 (less traffic, fewer risks, less attention),
Spend much time downtown on a weekend around this time? Its a bunch of drunk idiots driving around clubs and bars. If you wanna make this really hardcore then lets pics a bar at the top of cap hill to start at ( I have a few in mind) wait a good 30-45 minutes till most people clear out of the streets and hit the whole thing up around 3 am.

Burrito 03

Chimp
Nov 21, 2003
Marysville, Washington
Whats that called when they do one of those mass starts where everyone goes at once? That what this should be! That would be so rad to have a whole group battling it out for first place at the finish!
I call for mass start and pushing and shoving, oh yeah and a time and place to meet up if this really goes down!

silversurfer

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
wet hole
While mass start sounds cool, nothing ruins everyone's day more than a couple riders smashing into each other going down multiple staircases. Obviously this would be happening on private property without permission. Dealing with 20 riders ripping through their property will grab enough attention as it is. We don't need to leave carnage in our wake for them to deal with. Of course, to keep it quick, we may do 30 second starts.

I'm most worried about harbor steps. Their security is hit or miss, but when they are on, it could be a problem. The first few riders would be no problem, but who knows if they would all get through. SAM at night is a non-issue, and beneroya should be fine. Alternatives to Harbor steps would all include a few blocks of climbing. maybe through beneroya, up 2nd to pike, down post alley, up western, and then down the hillclimb.

I was thinking summer, when it's more of a guarantee of dry weather. (wet staircases / marble / metal coping = all bad) Obviously, I'd need to get a few volunteers for start/finish timing, a sweep (could be the start timer), and a few spotters pointer along the course. one thought was to scope out multiple lines through some of the sections and have a spotter at each one. If you took the harder line, you'd get a points bonus, vs the easy lines. Just a thought, but may be too much to get it to work.

Also, yes, there would be red lights, traffic, and possibly security guards to deal with. you'd be on your own for all of that, but that's part of the fun.

Anyhow, I work downtown in a semi-security capacity, so I'm always scoping stuff out. Hopefully I can get a good run dialed in and we can all do this in June.

b

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
What about doing this sort of like an alleycat race w/o the check points? The fastest person from point A to point B wins. Leave it up to the individual racer to figure out how to get to point B the fastest. Or maybe a mid-way check point where they would have to complete a feat of strength, do a shot of tequila or prank call the mayor (anything really). Just my two cents.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Please do this! I would be there. I was just talking to the guys at SIC about this same idea and how cool it would be if someone did an underground i.e illegal urban DH race.

THROW IT!

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Dave_Schuldt said:
Do it Alley Cat style like mesengers do. I've seen some crazy videos from NYC.
I totally agree with the alleycat style that would be some sick sh!t! O and we got to get like a bunch of digi video cams set-up along the line so we can captcher any crazy moments on film!

silversurfer

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
wet hole
Dave_Schuldt said:
Do it Alley Cat style like mesengers do. I've seen some crazy videos from NYC.

The only problem with alleycat style is that there are no mandatory hits. If you make up your own way between point A and B then the whole point is to choose the fastest route. thers's no reason to even have a big bike, cuz the fastest city bike is probably a modified road bike. With a set course, stair cases or drops are mandatory, and then you'd have to ride at least a good urban assault bike if not a big bike.

An alley cat would work for a scavenger hunt race, but I don't see it for this format.

b

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
silversurfer said:
The only problem with alleycat style is that there are no mandatory hits. If you make up your own way between point A and B then the whole point is to choose the fastest route. thers's no reason to even have a big bike, cuz the fastest city bike is probably a modified road bike. With a set course, stair cases or drops are mandatory, and then you'd have to ride at least a good urban assault bike if not a big bike.

An alley cat would work for a scavenger hunt race, but I don't see it for this format.

b
Well you could have some of the hits mandatory and the rest you can figure out what way you want to go, so it would be a mix of the two

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i would be game i've been fantasising about that exact ride for months only at about 530 am on sunday down town is totally empty maybe even run some hookworms or tattoo's on my brodie

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
This thing sounds pretty cool.
I just thought of some advantages of a mass start.

If it's one at a time, security will catch on after the first couple guys come by, then they'll have a chance to call back-up and stop the whole thing. If it's a group of guys storming through, they won't have a chance to stop anyone. Everyone will come past before he has a chance to do anything about it.

Red lights, etc. will be even for everyone, so everyone will be riding the same course and obstacles.

No need for a timer or questioning of who won. I like to see my competition when I race and know that I have to catch "that guy".

It sounds pretty cool. I've got a pair of hookworms I can through on my DH bike.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
silversurfer said:
I'm most worried about harbor steps. Their security is hit or miss, but when they are on, it could be a problem.

b
Trust me, even the most hardened individual will blanch at the site of 200+ pounds of meat and metal flying straight at them going 30mph...I'm in baby, it's like the DBD, but more dangerous and not messenger oriented.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Matteo said:
This sounds hella fun, count me in. Anyone wanna take their bikes out and go scout a possible course?
O Matteo has a good idea we should all go out and just cruise and map the course out myabe hit some stuff! It would be like an urban ride with a purpose of mapping the course!