Quantcast

who would win in a fight?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Colorado vs. Washington.

So I've been job hunting in Colorado. I've spent lots of time there, have friends there, and love the place.
Riding is top notch, and there are 3 lift serviced DH spots running this summer. I think I'm pretty clear on the pros and cons of this area.

So, I may have uncovered a job opportunity in the Seattle area. I've never been to Washington, but from what I know of it I believe I'd like it. Pros: 'big' diverse city area (which I really like), near water, what appears to be ample riding opportunities, not too far from Vancouver and Whistler (!) ... Cons: weather? Umm ... ??

If I had my way I'd ride everyday. XC, dirt jumping, DH, road, and I know both areas definitely have 'off-season' when it comes to biking.
I used to ski and I believe I could surely pick that back up in either location.

Thoughts? Questions? Feedback? Bacon?

I have to hit the highway for a few hours, I'll be back later.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Weather sucks, housing market sucks, traffic sucks.

I can't compare to CO because I haven never been, but I have spent some time in Seattle and I interviewed with Micro$oft many years ago and the cost of living vs. pay offered was horrible.

Depending on where abouts you are in Seattle, the cost is as much as double what it is in Portland with at least twice the traffic.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Depends where in CO i guess. Denver is a highly overrated city & despite being close to the mountains & it is one of my least favorite cities in the Midwest. (sorry LO) But there are some really cool towns in SW CO.

With the job market the way it is I would choose by whoever makes me an offer.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depends where in CO i guess. Denver is a highly overrated city & despite being close to the mountains & it is one of my least favorite cities in the Midwest. (sorry LO) But there are some really cool towns in SW CO.

With the job market the way it is I would choose by whoever makes me an offer.
back in 1999 I got a sweet offer from a company in Colorado Springs. Part of the package was a 4 resort lift pass for me and the family. The recruiter said they averaged 280 days of sun a year and the housing market was awesome. I nearly jumped on it, but decided to hang here. I'm glad I did because the Tech sector lost it's ass in that area in '01.

I would love to retire there, though.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
We don't really have a bike offseason in the Northwest. It doesn't snow enough. Instead we just have varying degrees of wetness - except for summer. Summer from early July to early September is the best here of anywhere I've ever been.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the Washington gig is near Bellevue, for whatever that is worth.
A friend of mine got an apartment in Bellevue for 3 times what he was paying here. It might be because of the location, but the apartment itself was no nicer than here. He's girlfriend is going to Western Washington and he was commuting to Seattle 4 days a week until he gave up.

That is damn close to Vancouver, though.