Quantcast

Whoa! Anyone knows when will this SD store open?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
TJ, they maybe hiring in their freeride concept department.

B&L Bike and Sports to Open a Specialized Concept Store

SEPTEMBER 07, 2006 -- SAN DIEGO, CA (BRAIN)—B&L Bike and Sports will soon open its second location in the Sports Arena area of downtown San Diego, and the new 6,000-square-foot site will be a Specialized concept store.

Owner Scott Rittschof, with 14 years in bicycle retail and another 12 years in the industry with such companies as Bell Sports and PowerBar, has chosen to work with the team at Specialized to help grow his flourishing business in San Diego.

“I’ve watched strong brands in various other industries successfully adopt the concept store format, and I think B&L can do the same with Specialized in the San Diego market,” said Rittschof. “San Diego is a market that leads trends nationally, so it's exciting to develop our business like this."

Rittschof started working in the bike business in the 1980s as a means to feed his passion and to put himself through college and graduate school. After an exciting career working for bike-related brands in the 1990s, Rittschof purchased his first shop in 2001. Two years later he bought a second shop and subsequently merged the two under the name B&L Bike and Sports.

“Scott’s business acumen, his passion for serving the customer, and his commitment to creating a superior retail experience make him an ideal Specialized Concept Store owner in the thriving San Diego cycling community,” said Jesse Porter Western region sales manager at Specialized. “We look forward to helping Scott create a cycling destination in San Diego.”

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
B&L was a tri shop, at least the one I went to. Now that they are Specialized concept, I can totally forget about them. :p

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
There's always Performance.
Aha, that's not funny.

I call bummer on the concept store because of back in the good 'ol days (Mission Cyclery)... Specialized wanted to convert our stores. We heard the plans and were not too stoked on the restrictions that were going to be put in place. You can probably expect something similar from Giant, as a similar "concept" was proposed to us.

To me, the best bike shop is one that is diverse...a bike shop that you can walk in to looking for a der. hanger, or a certain seatpost size and find it. Go into a TREK store and try to find a 30.8 seatpost from anything other than Bontrager and you are pretty much assed-out. Walk in there looking for a Giant der. hanger and all you will get is a laugh.

:pirate2: YARRRRRRRR!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I love how everybody's got an opinion about the shops around here, it seems to be a strong market compared to other metro areas yet nobody has opened up a killer shop yet. How hard would it be to kill Performance, they're still around even though Jenson can get better prices.

I'm okay at working on my bike but I'm not a great mechanic when it comes to everybody else's bikes, I don't do well as a salesman, I'm not good at working without supervision. What's everybody else's excuse?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We have one in Santa Rosa. Never been in there though.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I love how everybody's got an opinion about the shops around here, it seems to be a strong market compared to other metro areas yet nobody has opened up a killer shop yet. How hard would it be to kill Performance, they're still around even though Jenson can get better prices.

I'm okay at working on my bike but I'm not a great mechanic when it comes to everybody else's bikes, I don't do well as a salesman, I'm not good at working without supervision. What's everybody else's excuse?

Performance is still around because they are the largest bicycle retailer in the United States. They don't make their huge profits on specialty items as Jenson or Price Point does. Performance turns out their large profits by selling bread and butter bikes such as low-end hybrid and entry-level MT bikes.

For every customer coming in the door looking for a carbon fiber handlebar, there are at least 5 times more coming in for the $200 bike. Naturally, a person looking for a cheap bike will be alot easier to deal with than the bitchy, cheapskate, high-end shopper...And that is why Performance doesen't really care about that market(high end). If they wanted the high-end market they would not have converted the Supergo stores into regular Performance shops.

Oh, and Performace is not going anywhere...they own alot more than just bike shops.

Oh, BTW...My good friend just bought the oldest running bike shop in San Diego (Zumwalts). I've been helping him get situated...check it out, they have a bunch of high-end stuff:brows: :spam:

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
What's up with a Concept store, I've never heard of that. I'm assuming that they sell all Specialized gear, like the Trek store sells Trek, and possibly Concept stuff!?

Zumwalts is a cool shop, Todd is a nice guy. I was talking to one of the guys there, and I might do some web stuff for them in the future.