Quantcast

Whoa...I'm overwhelmed....

I was wanting to try something different and thought getting a BMX bike would be fun to just messa round with on the street and use for DJ once in awhile so I look around and I find more types of BMX bikes then there are MTBs!

Of the top of my head, the ones I can remember are...

a) ramp/vert
b) street/park
c) DJ
d) freestyle/flatland?
e) racing

And I'm sure I've forgetten a few as well. Unlike MTBs where the differences between a DH bike and XC bike are very obvious, I didn't see too much difference betweent he above mentioned bikes except for maybe skinner wheels/tires and one less brake on the racing bikes. Anyone with a better explaination? And what would be the recommended type for street/DJ? Seems that they have their own bikes so would one of them be able to do double-duty? Would like to start learning and trying stuff like peg grinds, etc.

Help! :eek: :dead: :D

there are sizable diff. between all of those diff. genres of BMX.

The freestyle bikes will be the heaviest, they will also have the steepest head tube angles, and shortest top tubes, making them feel crowded and squirrly when jumping. The vert ramp bikes will have fairly low top tubes and low BB heights, they will have shallower head angles than freestyle/flatland frames, but more than racing or DJing frames.

Racing frames will be the lightest, they will sacrifice strength for weight reduction, they will not have 1/4' dropouts, and will have a very long top tube length and high BB. they will have the shallowest head angle and feel the most stable when pedaling at speed.

DJ frames will have similar geometry to racing frames, but be alot heavier, and stronger, they will have extra gussets at critical areas, they will have beefy dropouts and head tubes.

if you plan on trying to learn any flatland type tricks, rolling or otherwise, do not get a DJ or Racing frameset, get a frameset with bosses for a detangler and preferably full cromo frame (many "street" frames only have cromo front tubes and mild steel rear).
Get a decent set of 48s wheels and since they will be 48s, you do not really have to worry about how strong the rims are, as compared to a 24" or 26" wheel they are indestructable.
If you are riding on the street you def. want both front and rear brakes, (though many will dissagree and I have even seen guys with NO brakes, but I would hardly advise that).
hope that helps.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
For general street and jumping, most bikes with a 74 degree head angle and a reasonably long top tube (21" or so) will work well for you to learn on. They tend to be a bit slacker and more forgiving than a vert or strictly street bike, but it will still be a squirrley handful compared to any mtn bike. After you get used to that, and find yourself doing more street riding and tricks, then maybe look for a steeper and tighter bike.

The Haro Backtrail or Specialized Vegas are good places to start, IMO. Decent complete bikes at reasonable prices and reletively common to find.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
id say get a street/jumping bike. these are fairly easy to pick out from the rest(frame wise) for the are generally much lighter(about 6 pounds) than street/ramp(about 7.5 lbs) and heavier than racing. i would use just a rear brake, because you really dont need a front brake and it just ends up getting in the way, unless you are riding flatland or doing alot of nosepicks(yes, this is a trick, its not picking your nose with your finger while in the air) check out danscomp.com, theve got alot of good bikes for fairly cheap.