Quantcast

Whoa....

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
You ever stop and think how strange forums are? And how weird WE are?

Ya know, How a big part of your time that you are spending talking to someone you have never (or maybe ever) met? I know a bit of people that I will probably never meet.

Just seems kinda weird.....Or its just me....

Edit:And the avatars. Like how you know someone by that stupid little icon?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, it is strange. except i've met quite a few people from the forum over the years (yes, years).

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Actually, I'm amazed at how supportive a whole bunch of monkey's are to those that need support...even though we haven't met each other...from Alex, to Doug...to the support I received. There are people here that are probably dearer to me than some that I called friends here at home. And when I couldn't reach out to anyone over the weekend...I really missed a whole bunch of you!!! Stupid huh!!?? :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Graphics said:
Actually, I'm amazed at how supportive a whole bunch of monkey's are to those that need support...even though we haven't met each other...from Alex, to Doug...to the support I received. There are people here that are probably dearer to me than some that I called friends here at home. And when I couldn't reach out to anyone over the weekend...I really missed a whole bunch of you!!! Stupid huh!!?? :)
Are you serious? It's the freaking internet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Graphics said:
I thought you were leaving? :confused:

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
i did...i didn't say forever...just wasn't sure what i was in for...and yes BurlyShirley...there are some good people here...what? the internet makes people less sincere? maybe some...but not EVERYONE...or you can't see that with all the people that have come to Alex's and Doug's situation? I have found that when you go through something big...you really see who your true friends are. And for me...some of them were from RM...plain and simple...and some that I thought would always be there for me...I haven't heard from all weekend.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Graphics said:
i did...i didn't say forever...just wasn't sure what i was in for...and yes BurlyShirley...there are some good people here...what? the internet makes people less sincere? maybe some...but not EVERYONE...or you can't see that with all the people that have come to Alex's and Doug's situation? I have found that when you go through something big...you really see who your true friends are. And for me...some of them were from RM...plain and simple...and some that I thought would always be there for me...I haven't heard from all weekend.
Okay, I dont want to get into a big debate about this, but think about what you're saying here.

There for you? You mean some guy sitting at his computer said "Aw, that sucks, Cheer up graphics" or whatever, and that's being there for you? That's how someone proves true friendship? :rofl: Come on now... I bet if you met most of these bastards you'd hate them. :rofl:

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
BurlyShirley said:
Are you serious? It's the freaking internet.
No kidding. I would never go crack jokes about hugging the Fridge while taking a pic for someone on the Internet. :D

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
ok...so me helping DHS with his event for Alex...that's not beyond the "internet" friendship? And I'm sure there are countless other examples, that I'm too new here to know of. You can meet people anywhere...you can connect with people anywhere. Who I am online, is who I AM. I'm just typing instead of talking to you. And, friendships can START online, and become offline. I just think you short change people if you're gonna group every single person you meet online as someone you could never be friends with.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Graphics said:
ok...so me helping DHS with his event for Alex...that's not beyond the "internet" friendship? And I'm sure there are countless other examples, that I'm too new here to know of. You can meet people anywhere...you can connect with people anywhere. Who I am online, is who I AM. I'm just typing instead of talking to you. And, friendships can START online, and become offline. I just think you short change people if you're gonna group every single person you meet online as someone you could never be friends with.
Ok, Im here for you graphics, good buddy. Here's my advice: Go to the nearest bar, get wasted, go home with some random dude and get an STD.
Then you can join one of those STD support groups instead of using ridemonkey as one :clue:

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
BurlyShirley said:
It's the fridge tho...
Good point. Not sure when it will be up, but you can go to fridgefans.com to see how huge that guy really is.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
jonKranked said:
people meet and hook up through myspace ALL the time. :rofl:
I saw a 10 year old kid mackin' on chicks on myspace in the hotel lobby all weekend.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
My grandparents used to belong to a CB club. We had a huge frikkin CB antenna on the side of the house, he used to be able to pick up signals from people speaking Japanese.
They used to get together with all these CB club people for get togethers very similiar to Monkeyfests in that respect.
So to me it's not very weird at all. Especially considering that a CB club was a social where all anyone had in common was the radio and enough boredom to want to talk to each other in a bunch of stupid code. Whereas we all get together and talk about mt. biking which in my view encompasses alot more and is alot more enriching than sitting around on the CB.

i think my handle was Lil Piper, they even made me a dumb card. haha.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
when i first started going on mtb forums about 2 years ago my parents thought someone would try to abduct me.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
gnurider1080 said:
when i first started going on mtb forums about 2 years ago my parents thought someone would try to abduct me.

Yeah good for them. I'm 33 and I've ridden people of all ages that I've met on here. I few of the kids I've ridden with were as young as 15. I always wonder what their parents must think. Their kids could be going to meet an axe murdering child molester instead of a nice upstanding college professor for all they know.