Quantcast

whoh whoh whoh....so my 888 is retarded?

OB1

Monkey
I've got several people throwing me advice on my fork setup(08 888 ATA WC). But something is missing in the translation. Everyone keeps talking like the PAR is on the bottom of the ATA leg. But mine isn't. This confusion led me to look up pics of my fork tonight. Every pic I can find shows the upper knobs opposite from my own. So...what....I mean...how....huh?????

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Maybe your legs are reversed? Not sure how the damping rod/air chamber mount on the 888, but I've seen crazier things happen.

OB1

Monkey
As far as I can tell....the internals and knobs have been swapped to the opposite leg. Having the stickers still on the correct legs has caused me all kinds of confusion. I do recall getting my fork back from Suspension Experts and thinking..."was the ATA on this side?" But the fork was new to me, and I had barely used it before the whole negative air suck thing caused me to send it in. So now I guess I gotta send it back right? I suppose it doesn't really physically matter. But it would be a big deal on resale I would think.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i think you're just retarded.....anyway, like was said previously, it's an easy swap. I did it on my 55 that I rode for a couple months. I am disappointed though that even after all of my problems with marzocchi products, you still got one. shame on you.

OB1

Monkey
Easy there, fearless leader. I didn't buy a fork. I bought a bike. Cant blame a guys for parts he didn't spec out. Right now this is the best tracking fork I have ever ridden. And you...you can't eat a salad without breaking a fork. So she's a keeper!

OB1

Monkey
End result. The un-named place who did all my fork work, is going to swap everything back to the correct sides. Covering shipping and all. He is embarrased, and says it's due to a former technician. Now only the rider will be retarded.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Just so you know, it will work 100% the same no matter what leg the cartridges are in. The top cap threads are the same, and the hole for the M8 or M10 threads at the bottom of each leg are the same diameter and same depth. I would just keep riding it and see if the shop will give you credit for the next rebuild/oil change where they could change it then. It would probably save you both time.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Actually, if you are really really careful, and own 12mm deep and 15mm regular sockets, you can do this yourself without draining the oil. Let out all the air from the ATA and PAR, turn the bike upside down, remove the caliper and wheel, remove the footnuts from each side (an impact wrench is best since the cartridges will spin, or at least a drill with a square socket adapter - you can push/pull on the lowers as you're unscrewing to achieve the same thing), then remove the lowers, turn them around, put them back on, replace the footnuts so they're tight and leak free, then drop your fork out of the crowns and turn it back around so it's straight. All will be right with the world.