Quantcast

Whole Foods buys Wild Oats

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I saw that in the Business section today. We only have Wild Oats here right now so I guess it will change, though how much I don't know. Aren't they pretty similar?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
They're very similar, but the WF here have a larger selection than the WO. I doubt individual WO will change much, but new ones will be bigger with neater stuff.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I saw that in the Business section today. We only have Wild Oats here right now so I guess it will change, though how much I don't know. Aren't they pretty similar?
We have both here. I like Whole Foods WAY better. Whole Foods just has a much better selection of pretty much everything.

That said, Whole Foods is TEH EVIL!!!! We're in there 15 minutes and spend $175. :rant:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I hope they turn our wild oats into whole foods. But I cant afford to shop at either so it really doesnt matter.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's too bad that "organic" doesn't mean what it used to, it's sadly becoming little more than a marketing tool co-opted by big business. Yes, it still pretty much means no antibiotics or harsh chemicals which is good, but it has almost nothing to do with local production or sustainability. How's about shipping truckloads of lettuce from california to a central processing facility in the midwest, then shipping it back to california for sale? Burning all that gas is pretty much the antithesis of the original organic movement. :disgust1:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's too bad that "organic" doesn't mean what it used to, it's sadly becoming little more than a marketing tool co-opted by big business. Yes, it still pretty much means no antibiotics or harsh chemicals which is good, but it has almost nothing to do with local production or sustainability. How's about shipping truckloads of lettuce from california to a central processing facility in the midwest, then shipping it back to california for sale? Burning all that gas is pretty much the antithesis of the original organic movement. :disgust1:
That was one positive of Wild Oats. They were 'more' organic than Whole Foods. They buy and process only local product.

As for sustainable, that's why I support Wal-Mart. They're setting up rules, oversight, etc for their vendors. They're starting with wild fish -- vendor's must meet requirements for fishing in self-sustaining environments. They won't allow over-fishing.

Also, W-M is switching their fleet over -- all 7000 company owned trucks -- to alternative/hybrid systems in the next five years. W-M is quickly becoming the model global citizen that others will follow.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Whole Foods has been marking the items that are local to each store. I'm not sure if it's something they just started recently, but I've been noticing it more often.