Quantcast

Whoops 10/15

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
his leg is broken. tibula on the left. he kept calling work and updating us. he's was pretty pissed. and to think, we were talking about broken bones just the last time i worked with him...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Get well soon...I'm sending healing vibes your way. About a month ago, I saw someone break their ankle up there. How did this happen?

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Well, i am ok in a way, the leg is broken in 3 places though, dammit. It was kinda funny, everyone could not believe that i was walking on it. It actually started feeling better, and i was walking somewhat normally about an hour after it happened. I was gonna walk out of the ER, but then they showed me my X rays... not good. I am really pissed too, i didn't even get off one jump properly. I ended up landing on a wall ride, and the bike went out from under me, twisting my left ankle counter clockwise until my foot was pointing backwards. Thanks for the healing vibes, i just hope that i get better for the race on nov. 20th.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
AFaceInTheCrowd said:
3 places... wow. you really did a number on that thing...
I can't believe you were walking on a leg that was broken in three places...ouch! Did you break both the tibia and fibula?

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
That sucks that you broke that! Many people think I am stupid and dont listen in school but I do! I am pretty sure the Tibia is the small bone in ur leg, it holds under .5% of you body weight. So its not that big of a deal if he walked away.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My friend just broke his ankle. He will be watching crusty movies and mtb movies for about 6 months. It sucks. I will wait till he's better until I start filming the movie, so he can be in it all the time.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I am totally blown away that your leg is actually broken. You were taking your shoe off and putting weight on your leg like it was nothing. I was certain it was a sprained ankle. Major bummer to hear it is broken. Get better soon!

The wall ride can be tricky. Looking at it today, it has a eroded a lot in the last year making the rideable area smaller and more slippery.. I fell on it sometime ago. Thankfully I was mindful enough just lean back into the wall, grab some bushes, and slide down.

Get better soon brother. Kurt will be doing his magic for the next month. The Whoops will be waiting your return.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
The reason i fubard the wall ride is i pulled up on the little lip at the bottom of it, so it launched me in the air, and i landed a good ways up near the top. dammit though.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
damn bro.. that totally sucks that you broke it..how bad were the fractures?

tgreat, nag, guessed i missed you guys i came back for a few hours. had a little solo session. started a small building a small berm, hopefully it got enough rain to get it set for anice solid base. i was hoping to make it out today but im in chino. sucks

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
One fracture was about 6 inches below the knee, a green stick fracture if you know what that looks like. Kind of like what happens when you snap a pencil. The other two were right above my ankle. Vikoden is definately my friend at the moment.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Post pics of your x-rays!

Broke my leg last year. It sucks.

Heal up fast! Do what your doc says, too.

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
vallEbikes said:
I just got back on the bike yesterday, after a month of being off of it from hyperextending my hip.
That kinda creeps me out.

Get Well Grizzle.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Damn bro, that sucks, sounds like it could have been a lot worse! I just got back from Bootleg, got a little banged up Saturday, enough that I couldn't ride today. I don't feel so bad now. Get well fast!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
fiddy_ryder said:
w00t!!! come on rain!!
I know that other parts of the country tend to get rain this time of year, but it's pretty strange for us in So Cal. It started to rain about this time last year, and we all know how that turned out for us.

I don't think I could handle another winter like we had last season...

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
blt2ride said:
I know that other parts of the country tend to get rain this time of year, but it's pretty strange for us in So Cal. It started to rain about this time last year, and we all know how that turned out for us.

I don't think I could handle another winter like we had last season...
yup a sh1t ton of rain last year.. it was way too much,, made for good snow but a pain in the ass to get too.. i could imagine what the trails were like w/ the saturated ground.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
fiddy_ryder said:
w00t!!! come on rain!!
Thank goodness for rain. Taylor and I will be heading up there Tuesday afternoon to add some berms to the upper portion. My goal is making top to bottom runs faster with more flow. There are 2 very slow flat sections I want to improve by adding berms. Should add to the fun.

S

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
i could imagine what the trails were like w/ the saturated ground.
Believe me, it sucked. I'm hoping this rain is just a fluke and not a repeat of another soggy SoCal season. The whoops didn't actually get hit that bad but many, many trails needed serious rebuilding afterward. Keep your fingers crossed.

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Hey man get well soon, I was hoping on meeting you on one of our Wilson trips... but I suppose that will have to wait.

Where are these whoops anyways (city wise), and how hard is the jumps and stuff? Do they have table tops? =D

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Argonzero said:
Where are these whoops anyways (city wise), and how hard is the jumps and stuff? Do they have table tops? =D
whoops are up near santa monica,, lots of medium and big dubs.. only a fw small table tops and dubs.. i found a spot i wanted to add a double,, but i might see if its enough for a table top, or at least find another spot for a nice mid sized table top.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
tgreathead said:
Believe me, it sucked. I'm hoping this rain is just a fluke and not a repeat of another soggy SoCal season. The whoops didn't actually get hit that bad but many, many trails needed serious rebuilding afterward. Keep your fingers crossed.
At first, we welcomed the rain, we made some new jumps, berms, etc. However, the rain pretty much just ruined almost all of the trails we rode. Not to mention that it never really stopped raining, so the jumps never really had a chance to dry so we could ride them.

I heard that this upcoming winter season we would have below average rainfall (whatever that really means). I'm hoping that this storm is just an isolated occurrence...

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Well an update on my leg, went into the doctor today, and he said that on top of fracturing my leg in 3 places, i tore all the ligaments off that connect the tibia to the fibula. He says i will need surgery to put a screw in my leg, and another surgery to take it out. This blows fat donkey balls.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Grizzle said:
Well an update on my leg, went into the doctor today, and he said that on top of fracturing my leg in 3 places, i tore all the ligaments off that connect the tibia to the fibula. He says i will need surgery to put a screw in my leg, and another surgery to take it out. This blows fat donkey balls.
Oh my god dude. :eek: Thats crazy. Did he give you an estimate of when you'll be back on a bike?

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Grizzle said:
That's seems a little excessive. My 1st knee surgery required the same ordeal, 2 screws to hold in the new ACL ligament. They could have stayed in forever, but I snapped it again, so they took them out and used a different method. Who am I to say though since I'm no doc and it's a different part of the body. Good luck bro, and 2months isn't that bad for ligament recovery, I was out for more than 6 months!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Grizzle said:
Dang dude, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy recovery...keep your head up. For what it's worth, it looks like we're in for another wet winter; which means that we're all going to be off of our bikes for a while, too. I'm sure you'll be ready for Fontana's winter series...

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Well, an update. I had my screw put in my leg today, and the doctor gave me what is called a nerve block. My advice to you guys on these, do not let the doctor give you one. It is like 10 times worse than having a dead leg, but it lasts a good 24 hours. I cannot even feel my toes if i stick needles in them or jam them on a corner. It is the creepiest thing ever, and i absolutely hate it. I also cannot see what the cut they made looks like, or any of that stuff unfortunately, maybe i can get some pictures up on here of it.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Grizzle said:
Well, an update. I had my screw put in my leg today, and the doctor gave me what is called a nerve block. My advice to you guys on these, do not let the doctor give you one. It is like 10 times worse than having a dead leg, but it lasts a good 24 hours. I cannot even feel my toes if i stick needles in them or jam them on a corner. It is the creepiest thing ever, and i absolutely hate it. I also cannot see what the cut they made looks like, or any of that stuff unfortunately, maybe i can get some pictures up on here of it.
When I broke my leg, I would have loved to have something like that. After I left the doctor, my nerves were all out of control, which left my broken tibia hitting the inside of my cast. To this day, I haven't felt any pain even close to that...

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
Grizzle -
I know it's depressing to get taken out of the game for a while, but don't push it trying to get back out there too soon. I broke my femur badly just about a year ago, and still can't ride aggressively let alone race like I used to. Shoot, I can't even run without a goofy looking gimp, and one leg is shorter now. I was known for getting away from crashes pretty well, but it only takes one mistake to permanently change your life. Basically, things could be worse, so be glad you will heal (eventually) and get to ride again.
If it would make you feel better to see some xrays that look worse than yours, here's a link to my story and xrays on the "worst injury" thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119625&highlight=femur

Best wishes for a 100% recovery.

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
You'll be back, Iwas out the whole summer 8 screw 2 wires and a bar holding my collar bone together. Bent the bar prematurely riding dont be hasty let it heal, I'm in pain now cause I couldn't wait so Fukcn wait. The pain is not worth the short amount of time you need to heal. I'm back to dropping bombs hang in there, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I drove the shuttles when I couldn't ride.

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
You'll be back, Iwas out the whole summer 8 screw 2 wires and a bar holding my collar bone together. Bent the bar prematurely riding dont be hasty let it heal, I'm in pain now cause I couldn't wait so Fukcn wait. The pain is not worth the short amount of time you need to heal. I'm back to dropping bombs hang in there, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I drove the shuttles when I couldn't ride.