Quantcast

Whoops....JD gets busted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
But seriously I don't see why MJs is on the list. In what way does it ENCHANCE your bike abilities? I'm not defending JD but seriously this is silly. What next? Sleeping pills?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
You mean aside from the fact that it's illegal...
Kinda weird that MJ is on a World Anti-Doping Code, considering the definition of doping:
doping n. The use of a drug or blood product to improve athletic performance.

don't all those anti-drug commercials about MJ show how worse your reaction time is and how lazy you get?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
while that might be true, but it delays your reflexes, decreases stamina i mean i think most people in medicine would agree smoking weed isn't a good training method

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kinda weird that MJ is on a World Anti-Doping Code, considering the definition of doping:

don't all those anti-drug commercials about MJ show how worse your reaction time is and how lazy you get?
Maybe for the same reason they don't allow intoxicated people driving cars. An intoxicated athlete is more likely to hurt themselves or someone else.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
if they can prove he was under the influence whilst racing, then he deserves it, if not, well, it's dumb....MJ affects everyone differently, I know those that it could be considered performance enhancing, and others very much not....fact remains, they don't test whether you where high at the time or not, and it stays in your system a long time...not a good system

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Lets not turn this into a legalization debate here as this has nothing to do with that. It's a shame that this is what he was busted for. With the GNC Industry pumping out every concoction in the world to help build strength and muscle mass, it's my hope that these would be the things that athletes would be getting busted for as an accidental intake of an illegal/banned substance. But really...everybody knows that marijuana is illegal in the sport.

Seems like he just got a slap in the wrist.

BTW, didn't one of the Housemans get banned for 2 years? Anyone remember if that was that a UCI or USACycling levied ban?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
But seriously I don't see why MJs is on the list. In what way does it ENCHANCE your bike abilities? I'm not defending JD but seriously this is silly. What next? Sleeping pills?

It says right in the news release why it's on the list: "cannabinoids are listed as Specified Substances because they could be susceptible to a credible non-doping explanation, and therefore use of those substances can result in a reduced sanction."

not that I understand what that means :think: total gibberish.

also, MJ isn't illegal everywhere.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I'm glad to see the penalty is so lenient. He knew full well the risk he was taking, but lets face it, the inclusion of THC on a list of performance-enhancing drugs is ridiculous. I hope it doesn't hurt his future/sponsors/etc...

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
regardless of people's personal thoughts on the subject, or it's actual benefit/disadvantage/etc... it's ILLEGAL as far as USAC is concerned. They could ban tylenol, milk, or beer.. if you know it's illegal, then don't take the stuff... at least not during season! i know pleanty of riders who smoke outside of the season, but QUIT when the race season approaches. they all know the penalty of getting caught.. so they stop.

personally i think it's a weak penalty since the season's over & the option to give time served for taking a class is insulting.

i've got nothing against JD. i consider him a friend. but he continues to make his own bed.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
are you guys serious? "marijuana isn't bad... yada yada yada" that's not the point! it's **** illegal!

i stole a candybar from the store when i was 7... it wasn't that bad, but i sure got an ass whoopin when i got caught!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
who cares? like really? 3 months? he's barely even going to miss some of the fontana winter series. for a dude who races on the national/international circuit, its not the end of the world. Its training season anyway.

Slap on the wrist, don't do it while the season is going on, check. over and done with.

who cares? like really? 3 months? he's barely even going to miss some of the fontana winter series. for a dude who races on the national/international circuit, its not the end of the world. Its training season anyway.

Slap on the wrist, don't do it while the season is going on, check. over and done with.
The problem I have with this is that Gary Houseman got busted, bot a huge suspension, a huge fine, and still cant race because of it. Not exactly a fair decision on Usac's part. How about they revoke Gary's suspension and fine, let him race. Then it wouldn't be nearly as bad, but this is blatantly unfair to everyone else.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i dunno if it's a stupid question, but: what team is JD on?

MJ is cool with me, not so much for some one racing professionally, simply because it might make you lose your job. if you race under USAC rules - abide them. if not - smoke pot!
and the sanction is ridiculous. banned substance in your system should equal a two year ban - no exception for no one!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
are you guys serious? "marijuana isn't bad... yada yada yada" that's not the point! it's **** illegal!

i stole a candybar from the store when i was 7... it wasn't that bad, but i sure got an ass whoopin when i got caught!
No one is defending him. It's just silly it is listed as an enchancing drug and that's why people feel it is stupid. Maybe let's put shoplifting on that list. It's also illegal... Or do you mean that we are not entitled to argue that it's on the forbidden substances list because it is there? Seriously, it is also illegal to produce industrial hemp in the usa, though it's legal to use products made out of it. Not all laws make sense...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Swanguen accepted a three-month period of ineligibility, which began on October 9, 2009, the day he
accepted the sanction. As part of his sanction, the period of ineligibility can be suspended and reduced to
time served since he accepted his sanction on October 9, 2009, upon completion of a USADA anti-doping
educational program.
Huh. So either take the anti-doping program or miss racing... Fontucky?

And according to this list Heroin/Morphine/Oxycodone/Cannibis are prohibited, but Cocaine isn't? (am I reading that correctly?)

Also, interestingly enough, alcohol is only banned in competition, and only in:

• Aeronautic (FAI)
• Archery (FITA, IPC)
• Automobile (FIA)
• Boules (IPC bowls)
• Karate (WKF)
• Modern Pentathlon (UIPM) for disciplines involving shooting
• Motorcycling (FIM)
• Ninepin and Tenpin Bowling (FIQ)
• Powerboating (UIM)

Wait, you can't drink while competing in Ninepin or Tenpin Bowling? That sounds incredibly boring...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany

the real reason is Ross Rebagliati.
he won the olympics 1998 back then MJ wasn't on the doping list so he got to keep his medal :)

still i think its weird that they are testing for it even though its illegal or whatever

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
while that might be true, but it delays your reflexes, decreases stamina i mean i think most people in medicine would agree smoking weed isn't a good training method
you must be the Engine on the Ignorance Train. keep pulling little choo-choo.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the real reason is Ross Rebagliati.
he won the olympics 1998 back then MJ wasn't on the doping list so he got to keep his medal :)

still i think its weird that they are testing for it even though its illegal or whatever
Weren't they trying to take away his medal? I remember being very pissed about the whole thing.

Also I'm quite sure they started testing for non enchancing drugs (mainly MJ) in the 70's so I doubt it started seriously in 98 ;)

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
rebagliati said he was a room where OTHER people smoked, but he himself didn't IIRC.

kinda "i did not inhale"-thingie...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Weren't they trying to take away his medal? I remember being very pissed about the whole thing.
they tried to take it away but couldn't because back then MJ was not on the list of prohibited drugs by the IOC... and it wasnt performance enhancing...

they changed the rules since then :)

really don't knowwhen they started testing for it though

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
"What are the criteria for adding a substance to the List?

Must meet any 2 of the following 3 criteria:
• It has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance;
• It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete;
• It violates the Spirit of Sport."

I don't see how pot violates 2 of these criteria? It doesn't enhance performance. Smoking it can be harmful, but eating or vaporizing has no known health risks, and the test cannot prove how it was consumed. I don't see how smoking violates "spirit of sport" anymore than drinking beer does.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"What are the criteria for adding a substance to the List?

Must meet any 2 of the following 3 criteria:
• It has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance;
• It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete;
• It violates the Spirit of Sport."
I don't see how smoking violates "spirit of sport" anymore than drinking beer does.
because it is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.