Quantcast

Who's familiar with wireless radio transmitters w/ mp3 players?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I work in a LOUD woodshop. we listen to the radio and it sucks. it would be cool to be able to use my MP3 player and a transmitter along with ear protection that has a radio and listen to my own tunes.

the shop is really dusty though so I'd like to be able to keep my mp3 player/transmitter in a drawer or ziplock back hanging from the wall.

does anyone know what the distance in feet most transmitters transmit the signal? or maybe you have other suggestions.....?

funkysausage

Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
Oak Lawn, Illinois
I have a Belkin transmittor that I use everyday in my car. I have been able to get reception up to about 15 to 20 feet away with new batteries. If you get 1 spend the extra money to get the digital tuner with the car lighter adaptor. You'll be happy you did.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Yer in luck! I got your answer right here... I wanted to walk around my yard installing a fence with my iPod but but the wire from my headphones kept dropping down into my face and in front of my hands while working. I had past purchased a pair of wireless headphones, see below. The base comes with an AC wall adaptor that plugs in the wall and the headphones are two AAA batteries. The unit comes with several cables for wiring up to different devices. Here's what I did and you can try this. I plugged the base into the wall outlet, then used the cable to plug the iPod earphones jack to the base. I walked about 100 feet away in my yard till I finally got any static at all and only when I got low to the ground. I can't say here where you can buy them cheap cuz I don't want to get booted for spam. But here's a pic of one set as example. Look on the internet for Wireless Headphones. That will fix your problem. And by the way, you can adjust the volume on the iPod and the headphones so you can blast it. Also, if you are worried about AAA batteries, just go and buy a pair of Nickle Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries. I have some and they are great! Long last and saves $. I can't say the brand I have but any NiMHd battery is fine. Get one with a high amp hours rating... See pic of wireless unit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Chunky Munkey said:
Look on the internet for Wireless Headphones.
I think the problem is that he has to use approved ear protection at the woodshop - wireless headphones won't offer proper protection. His approved ear protection happens to have a radio built in.

pnj, most of the FM transmitters spec the distance they will transmit. Just shop around a bit.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't think you'd get booted for spam if you simply are linking/pointing to a product that someone was asking about....

BV is correct though, I need to block out the LOUD noises via hearing protection. I wasn't seeing the specs (doesn't mean they weren't listed..;)) so I thought I'd ask here for a bit more info.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
sometimes I suck at google...

I seem to be only finding one $29.00 transmitter and then a bunch of $300 plus ones. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, I don't even think those are the correct item anyways... :mad:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I tested 2 different models of Belkin, a Maxell and a Griffin. Only one of these had to be plugged into a car lighter jack. (I wanted one for my car...) Honestly, they were all junk.

For the car, I bought the Monster cable one. It works best by far in my area.

For your use, in a shop, I guess I would go with the Griffin. It's the smallest, and had the best performance as I recall. It cost about 50 to 60 bucks canuck. I'd recommend that one.

Would you maybe allowed to wear earplugs under some wireless headphones? You'd get the best sound, but beat your headphones pretty hard I guess...

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
hey-I have used about 4 different brands of transmitters for my ipod, and the only one that really worked was the monster cable transmitter. It got much clearer reception than the rest.-the cheap ones for 30bucks suck. Some of the 100 dollar ones suck. The monster cable setup was only 60 bucks. however, it works on a 12v cigarette lighter plug, so you will need to purchase an adaptor to run it on 120v supply.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I found this one. has a large distance/range which is something I would need. some of the other ones only go 15 feet or so.
but this one may not work if there is a real radio station/signal near the frequency on the radio dial...

I could wear earphones under my hearing protection.but I think having a dangling wire would suck. even if I tucked it into my shirt or whatever.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
pnj said:
I found this one. has a large distance/range which is something I would need. some of the other ones only go 15 feet or so.
but this one may not work if there is a real radio station/signal near the frequency on the radio dial...

I could wear earphones under my hearing protection.but I think having a dangling wire would suck. even if I tucked it into my shirt or whatever.

I meant that you could bet some of those wireless headphones to play music REALLY LOUD, then wear ear plugs directly in your ears. The music drowns out the noise, and the earplugs quiet everything down. I used to mow the lawn that way. Worked quite well.