Quantcast

Who's had 3rd degree separation of their shoulder, how to heal it fast/well?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I had a 2nd, but I guess that isn't quite as cool. Took at least 5ish weeks for that one, and my right arm is about 1.25" lower than my left now, and its got a nice bump where my clavicle and my...something else don't line up anymore.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
my 17 yo brother had one (3rd degree) this april. he's not been the same since. He is very fit, strong and has good muscle size. He cant play his sr. of high school football and he had played his whole life. He hasn't ridden since it happened either. (he did a lawn dart to the shoulder on a large dirt jump.) "just one more" was his words as they were leaving for the day after riding. I guess it is a long recovery process. Your so focused on not hurting it again that your activities / priorities change.
Good luck bro. Sorry to hear.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dont know what 2nd or 3rd is but I ripped most of the tendons and ligaments that go from my neck to my collar bone in front on chest and backf as well as seperated my clavical from the sternum and now it sticks up and out where its supposed to meet the sternum and ASIDE from a lot of pain it hurts.:D
I am looking forward to the pain stopping so I can get back to just hurting. :D:D:D

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm hearin all you guys. This sucks. I'd already popped both shoulders hard enough to make those little shoulder knobbers stick up noticeably higher and easily remember what the time frame on the pain was with that. I just did it last night on that infamous "one last hit" and it got me. And it ws dumb! I kinda faded out of the big bike, dumb stunts thing for awhile and I WAS trying to get back into it in prep for a ride trip. Just messin around on one of my favorite areas, a little ladder above a boulder, like an 8'x8' drop or something, really pretty drop, super hard, fast tranny. My last run I wanted to try a silly no footer off it, got so focused on my feet that I didn't even see the end of the ladder go under me. I remember the hit that broke me, and then nothing but rolling. I've got a big ol deformation where it looks like the arm drops down and out, post a pic in a few...

Oh! and the best part... I just trashed my right shoulder, and less than two weeks ago I went down in a rock garden and junked the tendons in my left hand. Seriously, I'm pretty f*cked right now! A wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, a new truck and I'm a welder who's out of a job! And worst of all, I don't know how to wipe my ass with my left hand!!!!
So, as others have warned before, I will repeat: NEVER take the last run! Be a pussy, go home and drink a Redbull and eat a hotdog, and hit it again the next day!

3rd degree on the right shoulder in '97, 2nd degree on the left in '02. The '97 injury took about 12-16 weeks until I could lift my arm out to the side or over my head without sharp, stinging pain. The '02 took about 5-6 weeks.

Even still, 10 years later :-)shocked:), with the 3rd degree arm I need to be careful in the off-season while lifting in the gym. Too much weight or sloppy form and my body lets me know it's not happy with my apparent lapse in good judgment.

I have the infamous "clavicle bumps" as well....and the right shoulder droops lower than the left, which is consistent with the severity of the injuries.

Healing vibes in your direction. Shoulder injuries suck. Particularly so if you drive a stick shift.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Wel, i guess that's one good thing about the new rig and the fat monthly payment... I just traded my 5-spd Toyota in on it!
Since threads are worthless without pics, here's a quicky. I'm leaning on the sink as it REALLY grosses me out when the thing pops and drops. Yuck! Wish I would have just snapped the CB, my bones apparently heal quickly, but I have some issues with tendond and other things that AREN'T suuposed tp stretch!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i'm currently recovering from a dislocation....having an MRI done on monday to find out if anything's torn. at least i can do a few pushups now w/out excrutiating pain. i can't stand being broke and inactive.
on the upside, i've been running a lot more than usual and lost 7lbs last week (a pound or so of that was probably the lost muscle from the last 3 weeks :( )

i guess we're not invincible after all.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Meh. don't sweat it.

I separated mine (3rd degree) about 4 years ago. Took about 2 months before I could ride again comfortably.

You''ll loose some strength and stabiliity, but the human body is adjustable and you'll learn how to compensate.

Because it 'flops around' a little more means that bio-mechanically things aren't where they should... this means when you fall off you're more likely to do other damage.... I broke a chip off the socket in a crash at the start of the year...

ouch

took about a month before I cold ride again, but no permanant problem.

Don't sweat it, go to a good physio, take time to recover, and get used to the fact that you're DEFORMED!

The surgical option often makes things worse - I know a few (vain) snowborders who 'winged' and had the op for (in his mind) the girls... look better - didn't do jack structurally.

oh yeah... one more thing... if you can manage it, break your collar bone! I did this about 18 months ago on the same shoulder and the break allowed the outboard end to drop a little .:-)

(yes, I crash too much)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wel, i guess that's one good thing about the new rig and the fat monthly payment... I just traded my 5-spd Toyota in on it!
Since threads are worthless without pics, here's a quicky. I'm leaning on the sink as it REALLY grosses me out when the thing pops and drops. Yuck! Wish I would have just snapped the CB, my bones apparently heal quickly, but I have some issues with tendond and other things that AREN'T suuposed tp stretch!
Hey mine does that at the sternum and neck (up and out)! :thumb: Well have nub wars, my nub can beat up yours!!!!!

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
dislocation, torn rotator cuff, fractured collar bone, fractured scapula, good stuff, 6 months out-

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Third degree a few years ago at whistler (my right as well YEA!!).

It Took me a good couple of weeks before I could get out of my sling for any time at all. WHenever I took it off, all the muscles all the way up to my right ear would ache like a m'fer. Ice helped. Sleeping sucked for quite a while (at least a month)..I used extra pillows and such to get it supported.

Mine still sticks way up (pull your shoulder foreward, and it will stick up and out the back...freeks people out) and makes some horrible noises when doing things like push-ups...but it is always better when I keep those supporting muscles in shape/tight.

Get a pair or 7.5 - 10 lb dumbells and (when the daily pain is gone) do lots of latteral and other raises to tone the shoulder girdle muscles. Rotator cuff work also helped me (lay on side, shoulder on hip, elbow bent @ 90* and rotate shoulder/arm to raise hand/weight. etc...

good luck.

BTW, (for clarification for some) shoulder seperation is not a shoulder dislocation, in fact it has nothing to do with the actual shoulder joint. The propper term is a-c seperation and it is the connection of the end of the collar bone to the scapula. Second degree is a partial tear of some of the ligaments. Third degree is total tear of all 5 ligament at that 'joint'.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Iv'e had my left pop out about 12 times prior to me getting surgery. First time was in Whistler i sat out two days and went riding again.. It was fine but sore. Dont worry the next time it comes out it wont hurt as much.. But you need to do some type of rehab, my second time i wore a sling for 3 weeks and started doing rehab on my on. It stayed in for a while until football started. If you want a good brace or anything get a Sully. Sorta expensive though..

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
Teach the wife how to do an AC (acromioclavicular joint) tape job.

Tapping the joint up will get you back faster, speed healing and decrease swelling.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Interesting... I argued with my boss about shoulder dislocation versus separation. He was trying to tell that separation was just a more minor version. I knew I was right but conceded the argument anyway - it's sweet to get confirmation.

So I separated mine many years ago, riding trials of all things. It took some time to get back to anything resembling "full" function, and mine was a pretty minor separation. You will be riding again in a pretty short period of time, but pulling hard with that arm will take time. It will hurt like an SOB to bunnyhop, manual or do anything that pulls outward on your arm. I barely notice mine now, every once and a while it feels kind of "weak" and it might make an uncomfortable pop here and there (like cracking your knuckles). In general... I wouldn't even know it happened; feels fine.

It Took me a good couple of weeks before I could get out of my sling for any time at all. WHenever I took it off, all the muscles all the way up to my right ear would ache like a m'fer. Ice helped. Sleeping sucked for quite a while (at least a month)..I used extra pillows and such to get it supported.

Mine still sticks way up (pull your shoulder foreward, and it will stick up and out the back...freeks people out) and makes some horrible noises when doing things like push-ups...but it is always better when I keep those supporting muscles in shape/tight.

Get a pair or 7.5 - 10 lb dumbells and (when the daily pain is gone) do lots of latteral and other raises to tone the shoulder girdle muscles. Rotator cuff work also helped me (lay on side, shoulder on hip, elbow bent @ 90* and rotate shoulder/arm to raise hand/weight. etc...

good luck.

BTW, (for clarification for some) shoulder seperation is not a shoulder dislocation, in fact it has nothing to do with the actual shoulder joint. The propper term is a-c seperation and it is the connection of the end of the collar bone to the scapula. Second degree is a partial tear of some of the ligaments. Third degree is total tear of all 5 ligament at that 'joint'.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Oh and the other thing that makes a separation a little different...

There is nothing to "put back" - you basically just stretch everything out. From that point on that side will be kind of saggy. You can't really see mine, but you can feel the lump like that picture. It doesn't go away, it won't get worse, it won't "do it again" and that is because nothing was ever "un-done" in the first place.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet

good luck.

Yeah, muscles/tenons/whatever are already letting me know of their dissapproval to this injury. Into my neck like you said, down my back, my armpit feels like it's on fie 24/7, and something in my forearm is pissed. It keeps twitching and jumping. And every 3 hours or so, the whole enchilada starts shaking violently, like a little earthquake or something. Not painful really, but a little frightening.
Been doing my best to keep up with icing. I've been doing the frozen bag of peas trick I learned when I got my vasectomy!
I've been looking at real shoulder braces. Please feel free to send me links to the bad mofos. I've been looking at the EVS one that's always in the back of Dan'sComp...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh and the other thing that makes a separation a little different...

There is nothing to "put back" - you basically just stretch everything out. From that point on that side will be kind of saggy. You can't really see mine, but you can feel the lump like that picture. It doesn't go away, it won't get worse, it won't "do it again" and that is because nothing was ever "un-done" in the first place.
Is it fair to assume it's going to hurt worse next time it happens?

And anyone think armor would have prevented this?? Maybe spread the load a little?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Iv'e had my left pop out about 12 times prior to me getting surgery. First time was in Whistler i sat out two days and went riding again.. It was fine but sore. Dont worry the next time it comes out it wont hurt as much.. But you need to do some type of rehab, my second time i wore a sling for 3 weeks and started doing rehab on my on. It stayed in for a while until football started. If you want a good brace or anything get a Sully. Sorta expensive though..
you are talking about a dislocation/sublixation. Completely different injury.

I dont think that any armor would have helped. This usually happens when the shoulder is pushed in toward the center of the body, and the scapula and humerus structure tear off the end of the scapula and moving under and inward. Only thing I could see helping prevent would be a huge rigid collar type thing that would stick out past the shoulder and take the force....

As far as a brace, all the ones I know of are for dislocation and dont do anything for the a-c joint. Having something holding the weight of your arm to minimise the pulling of all those muscles (a sling) was the best thing that I could find. Take it off for short times until your shoulder/neck is burning, then put it back on. Gradually the times w/o will get longer and longer as your body adjusts to your shoulders new position.

It has been a coupel years, but I dont feel like I have any limmitations from this injury at all. Regular shoulder muscle toning seems to keep the sloppy feel to a minimum though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dave p.! what do you do when its seperated from the sternum?
I am a big guy and work out alot, my neck is pretty big as well as my upper body so first off I never thought this would be an injury that would happen to me. My upper body id big, but it ripped the muscles and tendoins from my lower skull area to the front of my chest and my back as well. There is a missing group of tendoins and muscles when I flex my neck its a big gap from skull to inbetween the shoulder blade and neck.
My bump raises up and into my neck area, feels like its pushing on my throat.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
I've got a fourth degree separation (total tear of the joint) and have recovered pretty nicely. MY movement is fine but my arm strength is pretty pathetic, even after four years. The main thing to do is to start using the shoulder (nothing to strenuous) as soon as you feel good enough to. Good luck.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I had a 3rd degree 5 years ago. I'm all good. It feels funny to be sure, but I spent plenty of time rehabing it patiently and gently.

You 100% MUST get a get phsyical therapist to make sure you are doing the right things the first 3-4 weeks.

At 6 weeks I was back racing. I had mine at the same time as Steve Peat and got him to tell me what his high dollar physio as he called it, was having him do.

The therapist gives you these varying strength rubber noodle bands to exercise with, walking the wall exercises, then on to soup can and empty the pitcher at some point...all terms you'll learn to love.

I can do pretty much everything I could in the past. The one exercise that is not that fun is a barbell bench press. Dumbbells are your best friend when you get your strength back.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Jeebus. Fugging physio. I blew my left elbow into little tiny pieces about two years ago. My bones weren't the issue, they were healed in under two weeks. It was the hole in my bicep and the hole in my upper forearm where the muscles tore that proved to be quite an issue. Apparently, If I would have been a little stronger or a little weaker I would have had a better outcome. I fell like 4-5 feet straight into a push up stance, shreadding said muscles and splitting my radius right down the middle. It didn't help that I have a condition similar to a dog that thinks it's injured: I baby the injury. BAD IDEA. Hell, I didn't know you're SUPPOSED to move broken joints around!
I walked into physio my first day, played the small talk game for a bit then he asked me how well I handled pain. I, of course, laughed at him and told him to bring it awn! My arm was basically stuck in the praying mantis position. NO movement. So the doc busts out a padded stool, 3 fans, some water and hands me a towel. Then he had two(rather attractive) aids come in to stand on each side of me to catch me WHEN I faint. WTF? I was still laughing. He put my elbow on the padded stool, sat in front of me and said "we're gonna slowly armwrestle. Only you're not going to pull back and I'm going to pull your arm straight down." I quit laughing a little. Then he put two hands on my forearm and started to pull. I went fuking black. I didn't go all the way out or down, but I know I could tell it was the closest I've ever come to pissing myself. I'd soaked every piece of clothing on me instantly with sweat and I puked in a trash can. Got to do that 3 times a week for 8 weeks! Afterwards, I thanked him for showing me what TRUE, undeniable deep pain really was, as I'd never experienced anything like it!
So, long story short, I'm scared of the physio guy! And I'll get to see him in a week!

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I had a 3rd degree separation a few years back. I'm all good now except for some popping and cracking noises when I work out. The orthopedic surgeon I saw basically said that surgery would make it look better but not make it heal better. So I have a big bump on my left shoulder that I wear proudly (I call it The Horn). The only time it really bothers me is when I'm at altitude. Any time I get above about 10,000 feet it starts to ache. Not sure why. But, like everyone else, I have never been limited by it. I did mine in the Spring a few years ago and spent the ensuing summer landscaping. Working that hard forced it back into shape pretty quick. Just work on building back those surrounding muscles cuz there's bound to be some atrophy. Good luck man.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Cool, thanks man. I can't get in to see my doc yet, guess other people think he's good, too. How long did you all wait before starting to use the arm a little?? I just don't know which is smarter: leave the sling on and take it easy, or lose the sling and keep the use to the bare minimum? I've been doing a little of both, taking the sling off for an hour every few hours just to let it move a bit.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cool, thanks man. I can't get in to see my doc yet, guess other people think he's good, too. How long did you all wait before starting to use the arm a little?? I just don't know which is smarter: leave the sling on and take it easy, or lose the sling and keep the use to the bare minimum? I've been doing a little of both, taking the sling off for an hour every few hours just to let it move a bit.
leave the sling on is usually the advise the doc and physio give b/c the ligaments and tendons are trying to do some pulling back together of their own and you'll only hamper it.

But at the same time, you have to keep bloodflow going to it. A light massage self implemented helps alot to break up scar tissue that might form until you get to the physio.

Also, I rode my road bike in the stationery trainer and the physio said it was helping reduce swelling since I was "ahead of the curve".

Perfectly timed thread. I'm working on a level 2 from three weeks ago now. I'll certainly echo what others have said: FIND THE BEST PT YOU CAN! Don't slack on doing your exercises at home and use lot's of ice afterwards. Sleeping absolutely sucks!!! The muscle knots in the trap and shoulder really blow.

Since my DH bike is toast, I've started doing some short road biking to keep the legs moving and maintain some sort of cardio fitness. (Not more than about 10 miles as it really starts to hurt after that.) Sucks to know the "bump" will never go away. :brow:

Healing vibes to all those out with injuries!

Already wishing I would have broken it instead. Anyway, here's my photo:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I did a 3rd degree last summer and it took me 2-3 months to ride again. Here is me right after/as I was doing it ahaa, notice my bike was still not done riding for the day. weeeeee

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
aha ya, to the bottom left is the end of a line of big jumps. The pic is funny cuz it looks like a cartwheeled down a normal open path

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not sure what to tell you bullcrew..never seen that injury. I am mostly just informed about the things that I have gone through (shoulder seperation, broken wrist/hand (4 times), spinal disc issues, etc..)

Thrill..when you get into some PT, if you need some exercise band (rubber), I have a ton of theraband stuff around in several different strengths. Shoot me a pm and I will put some in the mail to you.