Quantcast

Who's has time on ohlins DH38 or fork?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Don't have a DH, but I have the 36. Bring your shock pump with you.
Getting the bottom out dialed seems to be key. The damper is great, at speed. Parking lot/ garage riding isn't indicative of performance at trail speed.

If you decide that you don't like that 38, I'm calling dibs.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I've got that fork.

Try it with the suggested pressures first (at least main chamber) and damper comp open. Get ride height dialed with main chamber, then adjust bottom chamber. The bottom chamber is like a RUNT, it only comes into effect in the last 2/3 of travel so.

Don't try and get it to feel good in the parking lot, your pressures will be way too low!

Double check the pinch bolts before you send it. Mine had way too much pre-applied loctite on them and when torqued to spec they slipped the first ride. I had to pull them and clean some of it off before they held at torque spec.

Awesome fork, feels excellent when blasting through shit. Miles ahead of a Boxxer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What do these forks feel like when you're just out puttering around? Like perhaps you're sick, hungover or maybe it's super sloppy out, do you have to adjust anything with them or they are good to go? Only ask because of the parking lot test thing.

Are the shocks the same way?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
What do these forks feel like when you're just out puttering around? Like perhaps you're sick, hungover or maybe it's super sloppy out, do you have to adjust anything with them or they are good to go? Only ask because of the parking lot test thing.

The fork just does not have that "show room plush" feel in the garage. When you just push on it you think it will ride harsh, but it does not at all.

I swapped directly from a Boxxer, and tried to set up the Ohlins to feel the same in the driveway. But when riding it those pressures were way too low. I think the feeling comes mostly from the damper. The first run with correct air pressure I was amazed at how plush and responsive it felt in the roots and chunder.

It rides fine drunk/high/hungover. There were some super slop conditions quite a few times this summer with no changes and it was a champ.

The shocks are somewhat similar, but usually masked more by the frame leverage. I initially had too light a spring and comp wide open on a coil TTX22 based on driveway feel.
Same thing, I ended up going up a spring rate (411#-434#), and added LSC and HSC to get it dialed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Shock has a very small tuning range, which is good and bad, good because its hard to get it to feel like crap when the tune is right, bad because the tune might not be right. Lots of low-speed damping.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I LOVE the shock it's right there with my avy woodie...
Yeah planning on keeping kit 170mm for some and I ordered a 200mm air set up as well

I'll take a pump start reg settings it's good to know on the bottom Schrader I hadn't gotten into it enough being slammed right now...this will give me better handle on it ahead of time...

Any thoughts or experience keep posting and I'll keep noting stuff...

Did see a new ttx love the redesign

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
We were speaking to a mechanic at Dyfi and he was saying after resizing the bushing he thought the forks were class.

My friends ride the 36s and both are quite particular on setup and they both really rate them