Quantcast

who's holdn out for new boxxer?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
My initial thoughts were the same... but the general tune of the fork is slower at the top and faster at the end. I was told that is the setup they found worked best with the Blackbox riders.

The slower starting rebound helps to keep the front end steady when pedaling and riding smooth rolling terrain and faster ending stroke helps recovery after big hits so you don't pack down in the travel. The example I mentioned from FR Cup #1 was a particularly fast rough section with a few big hits in, I felt like I was riding into the bars in that section, and in retrospect I think faster ending rebound would have kept me where I wanted to be in the travel - I am pretty sure I was getting stuck down in the travel there.

If you are riding something slower and steeper (the shore for example) you might want that slower so your front end doesn't kick back after infrequent big g-outs. However, at speed the fast recovery helps keep your bike steady. Think about it this way... you would neverrun out of travel on a bunch small stutter bumps, so why rush to get the fork back to the top? Whereas, a big nasty rock section that uses 80% of your travel on the first hit... you want to get back up to the top ASAP

it totally makes sense if you look at it like that. It be really cool to try one of those forks, can wait to get my hands on a pair

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
My initial thoughts were the same... but the general tune of the fork is slower at the top and faster at the end. I was told that is the setup they found worked best with the Blackbox riders.

The slower starting rebound helps to keep the front end steady when pedaling and riding smooth rolling terrain and faster ending stroke helps recovery after big hits so you don't pack down in the travel. The example I mentioned from FR Cup #1 was a particularly fast rough section with a few big hits in, I felt like I was riding into the bars in that section, and in retrospect I think faster ending rebound would have kept me where I wanted to be in the travel - I am pretty sure I was getting stuck down in the travel there.

If you are riding something slower and steeper (the shore for example) you might want that slower so your front end doesn't kick back after infrequent big g-outs. However, at speed the fast recovery helps keep your bike steady. Think about it this way... you would neverrun out of travel on a bunch small stutter bumps, so why rush to get the fork back to the top? Whereas, a big nasty rock section that uses 80% of your travel on the first hit... you want to get back up to the top ASAP
Sounds so SICK! Are you running the wc or the team?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I took some runs today at the local skills park on the new fork. First impression is that I really like it. The platform is gone so it makes the fork much more responsive to small hits.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I took some runs today at the local skills park on the new fork. First impression is that I really like it. The platform is gone so it makes the fork much more responsive to small hits.
The old fork has no platform. Motion control is simply a different way of providing the same mechanisms that a conventional ported/shimmed damper provides.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The old fork has no platform. Motion control is simply a different way of providing the same mechanisms that a conventional ported/shimmed damper provides.

You are correct. I guess what I meant was that you don't have to run so much low speed compressing damping. As you know, the jump from 3 clicks to 4 clicks on the old fork was a lot.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma

How would you compare the fork to previous world cup?
Sounds like the adjustments work better but is it worth the upgrade in your opinion?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
How would you compare the fork to previous world cup?
Sounds like the adjustments work better but is it worth the upgrade in your opinion?
I had the previous version Team. The new fork is more plush while still having plenty of damping not to bottom. I do like the air spring and being able to adjust the pressure rather than having to swap out springs or preload spacers. That's all tuning I have on it so far (setting the sag). I only have a day on it at the local 150 foot tall hill. I'll post up more when I get more time on it.

.darcy.

Chimp
Jan 10, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to ride them. I'm still waiting for a new frame to show up. So I'm patiently waiting to try them out. The mountains that are close to here (1.5hrs) are still quite full of snow so it could be a while before I get some serious vertical on them. I've had 2 40's in the past, 1st and 2nd year production and was never all that fond of the low speed compression adjustment. I always found that the fork chattered a lot of small stuff. I've been told the '09 dampening is much better and should ride much smoother at the start of the stroke. I've had 2 Boxxer WC's since the 40's so this fork has lots to live up to in my opinion. The shock is what is going to be really exciting (no pro-pedal!).

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I have been told april 24th for mine. Not sure how accurate that is going to be though.
I thought you posted that you were getting yours the end of February thru a connection?

As of right now, April 24th is as accurate as any bike shop will know. Given the fact that the same date has changed 3 times in the past month, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I thought you posted that you were getting yours the end of February thru a connection?

As of right now, April 24th is as accurate as any bike shop will know. Given the fact that the same date has changed 3 times in the past month, I'm not exactly holding my breath.
It was given away to someone else as I didn't think I would be riding this season due to the medical condition. The new one that I re-ordered will be here sometime, not holding out at all right now.
I should have just taken that one, damn:disgust1:

Tricky17

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
One of the Canadian distributors received them and they are available as of today to bike shops throughout Canada.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Lambert pulled a fast one on Norco an pre-planned air shipping them over.

While Norco is waiting for the boat to arrive Lambert will be poaching all the dealers with customers desperate for the newest toy.

Bit of a gamble but it's paid off.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Well I am not holdn out much longer....one week it will here and I am psyched!!! I am sure it will be killer, major suprise for me today.
I'll gets pics up when my shizzle is together.

got new cranks,forks,hset,wheels,bars. my sunday needed a bionic rebuild.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Guess I don't have to wait till the end of May, the WC is in. Big thanks to Eric at Eastside Cycle in Kitchener!

Last edited:

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
So the "XER" logo on the lowers of the teams is black- good. They're gray on the RS website and it's pretty ugly.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sorry for the OT: you are running Ultimates with Formula floating rotors? What size rotors did you get, what adaptors and how does it work out?

Thanks.

Guess I don't have to wait till the end of May, the WC is in. Big thanks to Eric at Eastside Cycle in Kitchener!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That is a hope rotor, either 203 or 205... Should just mount up with the (any) standard adapter for a 203 rotor if it is a 203 rotor. If it is a 205, a washer will move the caliper out to match the rotor.

Last edited:

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Sorry for the OT: you are running Ultimates with Formula floating rotors? What size rotors did you get, what adaptors and how does it work out?

Thanks.
It's a 203mm Hope floating rotor. Just running a 203mm RS adaptor and two small (like 1mm) spacers. Took the fork for a ride today after hooking up the front brake, lowering the crowns on the stanchions and playing with the pressures. It's my first experience owning an RS fork (long time Dorado and Marz owner) and I'm quite happy with it.