Quantcast

Who's in a band?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was talking with my cousin, and we were discussing starting a band. Considering we are 30-something professionals (and I have a second career in the bike industry) it seems unlikely beyond some jam sessions.

Anyone else in a band?

Phresh

Chimp
Feb 24, 2005
Rochester Hills, MI
I say go for it. I have been in a band for the past year with some guys from work and it has been an absolute blast. We started out just for fun, but after playing a few parties (which we threw as an excuse to play in front of people) people started asking if we played out. In September we played out for the first time. The bar asked us back the next day. Then we played another place and the same thing happened. Unfortunately for me, I've had to leave the band very recently due to a job transfer but I've already been jamming in the new location and am definitely looking to hook up with another group. I only wish I tried it sooner.

Matt

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I am... I am also near 30 and have a career. Sax player/frontman is also a career guy that puts in 70 hours a week, other 3 guys are music majors at TU.

We practice about 4-5 hours a week (usually all of it on Sunday afternoon) and do just fine. On weeks that we play we skip practice and instead run the set the day before the show. So really we only have the 4-5 hour practice about every other week.

Personally I cant find more than about an hour a day to practice my own chops so I try to keep it really organized, 30 min of drills and rudiment stuff 15 min of new concept stuff and 15 min of application of new concepts.

We do a lot more than just Jam... we have several originals and do covers of things from people like Mingus, Miles, The Police, Radiohead, Coletrain, Stevie Wonder, etc, etc. You just have to have an understanding with your bandmates. Practice is not Fvck off time, its practice time, make a list of what you want to work on, and work on it. If you are dedicated and comitted to working hard when you can you can run a career and a regular working band at the same time.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
What kind of music?

While I am not in a band per se, some friends and I jam with traditional instruments and perform at our medieval recreation events (3 - 5 times a year). Lately we've been practicing more with the intention of playing in some local pubs and such. We play bazouki, balalaika(sp?), irish whistle, african and middle eastern drums, guitar, and whatever else we can get our hands on. We also sing. I personally play the whistle, drums (djembe and doumbek), and bodhran (irish drum). I try to sing but I do it horribly. (I have been asked to not sing anymore :D )

It's mostly for drunken fun but lately we've been taking our practice more seriously. Who knows... maybe Flogging Molly will need an opening band on their next tour. :D :p

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Im a drummer in a Christian rock band, even though this age thingy is gonna kill me here, Im 45. We have a full 6 peice band that plays all original stuff. We play a mixed style of music, both white and black in the group so we range anywere from soft to edgey rock with a grungy twist. So far the most famous place we have played at has been BB Kings Theatre in Universal Studio's, talk about butterflies in the gut, as bad as lining up on the starting gate of a race!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dlb said:
Im a drummer in a Christian rock band, even though this age thingy is gonna kill me here, Im 45. We have a full 6 peice band that plays all original stuff. We play a mixed style of music, both white and black in the group so we range anywere from soft to edgey rock with a grungy twist. So far the most famous place we have played at has been BB Kings Theatre in Universal Studio's, talk about butterflies in the gut, as bad as lining up on the starting gate of a race!
What band? I used to work for a live sound reinforcement company back in the 90's and have worked with Christian bands such as The Crucified, Breakfast With Amy, Scattered Few, Violet Burning, and Mike Knotts various bands as well as others. It's been a while though, just thought I would ask.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'll let people guess the kind music I want to play by the possible band names:

Chinese Skynard
The Chinese Stooges

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Ciaran said:
What band? I used to work for a live sound reinforcement company back in the 90's and have worked with Christian bands such as The Crucified, Breakfast With Amy, Scattered Few, Violet Burning, and Mike Knotts various bands as well as others. It's been a while though, just thought I would ask.

The bands name is: dont look back, thats were I get the "dlb" for the monkey handle:love:

During the 90's we really only played in the church as a praise band, now we only play out, events, outreaches and concerts here and there. Nothing really big, BTW I love doing sound reinforcement, an art all by its self.

I was in a band back home in WI when i was around the 18-21 age.

Absolutey the second best time of my life. Started as a cover band, pretty basic four on the floor 80's rock. Did covers for a while with our first guitar player. Never played out with the second guitar player,but recorded a demo with him. The last version was the best. We went form being another local band to the local band. Started playing all original music; which is the best, did some remakes too. We used to end our shows with 'Why Don't We Do It In the Road' from the Beatles. Really low and crunchy. Our last two shows we opened for the Kiss tribute band that is in the Metallica vid 'Year and a half in the life' and got on TV playing a battle of the bands. They guys that filmed it put us over the closing credits so we got like two minutes of airtime. Not alot, but everyone else only got about 30 seconds.

I loved being in a band. I really chased it too. i wasn't in it just to play local. We wanted to get signed. If we would have had a better manager, we probably would have. Unfortunately - we never got out of the Green Bay area. But we were that good. We played a show one night that we got to open for a signed band on their second album doing a club tour. Kind of technical-metal-theory-Queenryche-wanna-be type band. I can't remeber the name of them for the life of me, but they were known. They gave us an hour to open for them. We had about 35 original songs and decided to pack in as many as we could in 60 minutes with the goal of blowing these guys of the stage.

We started a little slow in the first song, then really started hitting it. Everything came together and we killed those guys. Left them completely in the dust. It also helped that we had played there before and knew the acoustics. BIG room with wooden floors. A giant echo chamber. I played soo hard I knocked ceiling tiles off the second floor ceiling.

God I miss those days. I miss them alot.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
dlb said:
I haven’t read the rest of the posts, but up until last July, I was a guitar player in a Christian rock band. We've played pretty big festivals and such. The whole actual point is this, the more members you have the tougher the logistics and the issues. We have a complete album, and had a major life crisis with the singer. Once he left, one of the egos, errr….I mean band member, and it just didn’t work. This all occurred after receiving the mastered copy of our album back, and it was complete…

So keeping egos in check is vital, or the issues and repercussions will, and can be destructive.

The more moving parts, the tougher it is to get together. The relationship with band mates is an intimate one, since the creation, playing and performing music is. Whether its Christian, melodic death metal (A favorite of mine), country, rock or whatever, there will always be personality issues, regardless of the relationship. This can affect the dynamics of the band in huge ways.

A great rule of thumb is this, and I give this advice and adage freely, use it wisely…

“I will not play in a band or someone, unless their commitment level is the same or greater than my own.”

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
We were "Winds of Change". I do miss playing and will more then likely play in a secualr or christian rock group again.

In the mean time, for anyone interested, 4 songs of of the CD can be found at www.winds-change.com

Except for "Share the Wealth", I do the lead breaks and all electric work...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm not currently in a band. I played all through college and most of grad school in different indy rock bands in Chapel Hill NC. Now that I'm married and graduated, it's just shifted down on the priority list and I haven't picked it up again.

I have little or no motivation right now either. Where I live the music scene consists of sea shanties and Jimmy Buffet cover bands. As a former indy rocker, I'd rather stab myself in the ears with a sharp stick.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I want to be in a band... I was in a "band" during my undergrad years that was just for fun, and it was so damn fun. It was pretty much me and a good friend and a rotating cast of other friends. My friend Matt and I can both play multiple instruments (moreso him than me), and we have decent musical chemistry and listen to other people well. A lot of the guys I've jammed with since then have had these visions of playing out and getting signed and that kind of nonsense before even finding any sort of chemistry with any bandmates. I, personally, have no delusions about my particular level of musical talent (mediocre, at best), but I really like rocking out with my friends. It's pretty much my favorite thing to do in the winter. I've been having trouble motivating anyone else to rock out recently though. Matty, move back to Michigan!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I was once in a band with corey_dcstreet. At the same time, he was trying to get me to try this crazy thing called mountain biking. I had seen pics of him riding urban, and I was like, "I'm not interested in riding down steps and stuff. That's crazy!" Then I followed him onto Ridemonkey and look what happened!

I can't imagine being in a band at this stage of my life. The idea of looking for a practice space and soundproofing it freaks me out. The idea of rounding people up to practice three or more times a week freaks me out. Being in stinky, smoky clubs all the time freaks me out.

Yeah, playing in the winter was never as much fun as in the summer anyway... but now there's biking in the summer... and I wouldn't want to start jamming with people in the winter only to abandon them in the spring....

Good luck if you can fit a band into your schedule!

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
sirknight6 said:
I haven’t read the rest of the posts, but up until last July, I was a guitar player in a Christian rock band. We've played pretty big festivals and such. The whole actual point is this, the more members you have the tougher the logistics and the issues. We have a complete album, and had a major life crisis with the singer. Once he left, one of the egos, errr….I mean band member, and it just didn’t work. This all occurred after receiving the mastered copy of our album back, and it was complete…

So keeping egos in check is vital, or the issues and repercussions will, and can be destructive.

The more moving parts, the tougher it is to get together. The relationship with band mates is an intimate one, since the creation, playing and performing music is. Whether its Christian, melodic death metal (A favorite of mine), country, rock or whatever, there will always be personality issues, regardless of the relationship. This can affect the dynamics of the band in huge ways.

A great rule of thumb is this, and I give this advice and adage freely, use it wisely…

“I will not play in a band or someone, unless their commitment level is the same or greater than my own.”

I forgot to follow up on this post. Im sure its heart wretching to be together, practice, play through the small gigs to get to the larger ones, complete a CD
then watch the band fall apart. Regardless the type of band, its gotta be hard to deal with.

We are very blessed with none ego band members, for the most part we've been together for 7 years, my wife writes and composes most all the music and plays rhythm guitar and again Im the time keeper. The other members are all a pretty close nitted group. Once the speakers are hooked back up to the pc Im gonna check out your music! To bad your not closer, mixing in some metal strings would be sweet!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
H8R said:
Don't do it.
You know I was kidding, right?

Actually - go right ahead.

I've been playing in the same band for 20 years now. They are my family.

After 10 full albums, several EP's, side projects, approx 1 bazzilion live performances, studio sessions, and thousands and thousands of miles on the road, I can say that not only is it worth it, it's a huge part of what I am.

So yes, go for it.

Make sure you have a safe, secure place to practice, preferably where you can leave the gear setup 24/7. This makes for a much more productive practice, as you don't have to set up every time.

Be honest. To yourself and everyone in the band. Brutally honest. If someone is playing something that makes your skin crawl, or they are simply "not getting it", let them know right away. Be honest with your own abilities and play from the heart.

Keep it simple.

Be punctual, if not early - to practice and to gigs.

Don't wear makeup unless sucking and wearing makeup is your goal.

Keep your gear clean.

Don't eat gas station food if you go on tour. It makes you depressed and lethargic. (if you are playing Goth music I guess that's ok)

Good luck.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:
Without a doubt some of the best band advice ever.

Say, are there any fiddle players in So Cal around here? Ayone? :p

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Ciaran said:
Without a doubt some of the best band advice ever.

Say, are there any fiddle players in So Cal around here? Ayone? :p

Is your name Johnie?:evil:

Im really sorry,

By you asking that my febble mind drifted off to that old Charlie Daniels song, The devil went down to Georgia looking for a soul to steal

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
H8R said:
You know I was kidding, right?

Actually - go right ahead.

I've been playing in the same band for 20 years now. They are my family.

After 10 full albums, several EP's, side projects, approx 1 bazzilion live performances, studio sessions, and thousands and thousands of miles on the road, I can say that not only is it worth it, it's a huge part of what I am.

So yes, go for it.

Make sure you have a safe, secure place to practice, preferably where you can leave the gear setup 24/7. This makes for a much more productive practice, as you don't have to set up every time.

Be honest. To yourself and everyone in the band. Brutally honest. If someone is playing something that makes your skin crawl, or they are simply "not getting it", let them know right away. Be honest with your own abilities and play from the heart.

Keep it simple.

Be punctual, if not early - to practice and to gigs.

Keep your gear clean.

Don't eat gas station food if you go on tour. It makes you depressed and lethargic. (if you are playing Goth music I guess that's ok)

Good luck.

ROFLMAO!!!! All SO true!!!!! SO true!!!! Except the reason not to eat gas station food. That stuff will TEAR your stomach to pieces! At a minimum you'll have gas, and the worst is a case of the "dash & splash."

Dude, ever hit Richmond, gimmie a shout, we'll get together for a few beers and jam, just for sh!ts and giggles...LOL! :D

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
jet said:
Maybe we should start a ridemonkey band. People jamming together over the net. I'd have to get my drums back though...and practice. I haven't really played since I moved here in 92.
Actually, I'm currently working on putting together a modest recording setup on my laptop for a little intraweb jamming with my bro who lives out of state (and whoever else). The idea is to send each other mp3's of riff's, drum tracks, etc. for the other to digest and augment and then put the good stuff together using whatever digital recording software. I don't anticipate it being a big priority for either of us, but we both have a decent amount of ideas that might amount to some cool stuff if we can capture it.

Which comes to my next question: I'd really like anyone's recommendations on decent and affordable digital recording setups. I'm thinking shure SM57 and some other mic's -> cheap analog mixer -> Line 6 TonePort interface -> my Dell Inspiron lappy running some kind of modest recording program that hopefully has some MIDI capability (my new thing to learn) and some plugin's.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
H8R said:

Good luck.

I don't know if this counts as gas station food but it must be in the same genere - 3 or 4 days worth of Waffle House will screw you up pretty bad.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Enginerd A2 said:
Actually, I'm currently working on putting together a modest recording setup on my laptop for a little intraweb jamming with my bro who lives out of state (and whoever else). The idea is to send each other mp3's of riff's, drum tracks, etc. for the other to digest and augment and then put the good stuff together using whatever digital recording software. I don't anticipate it being a big priority for either of us, but we both have a decent amount of ideas that might amount to some cool stuff if we can capture it.

Which comes to my next question: I'd really like anyone's recommendations on decent and affordable digital recording setups. I'm thinking shure SM57 and some other mic's -> cheap analog mixer -> Line 6 TonePort interface -> my Dell Inspiron lappy running some kind of modest recording program that hopefully has some MIDI capability (my new thing to learn) and some plugin's.

Look into a Firepod or Firebox from Personus (spelling?) price ranging from about $200-700 dollars. What you get is the anolog-digi converter, hi quality mic pres, (some thing you wont get with a cheap mixer) (the price range difference is only basicly how many channels do you want? 2 channels for the cheapest one or 8 channels for the more exspensive one) and a basic program from Q-base which by the way is a good one and it can be updated later. Q-base is used in lots of highend studios so even though you would be getting the starting version which runs about $100. and the more upper end program runs about $800.00. Theres tons of pluggins, free software available for Q-base too on the net. Plug this into your laptop or PC and your ready to record. 57's are great for recording certain instruments like a guitar, horns or snare drums, good mics to have.

Example I need lots of channels because I record live drums so I would use an 8 channel Firepod. Personus makes hi quality stuff that doesnt brake you. Plug your mics and start recording, you will mix down in the PC so you dont really need a mixer, cheap mixers are just that, cheap mixers. Q-base supports something like 60 channels too so even if you only get the 2 line unit you can just keep moving the recorded data to another channel. Hope this helps.