Quantcast

Who's iover 200lbs and running 823s tubeless?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have a set of Hadley/823s coming for the new ride. I did a search and came up with a few options and a lot of threads that were over a year old. Im about 225 and was looking to run a tubeless setup. Looking to see who is running regular tires with Stans or UST tires. Mainly looking at Minions or Nevegals. Wouldn't I want to run Stans even in UST tires in case of a puncture? Seems to negate the idea of running tubeless if you don't have something to seal up a hole from a thorn or something....Experiences?

This is actually for my trail bike, but I'm a bigger dude and definitely not delicate on parts and ride it like I ride my DH bike.

Mar 14, 2008
Me: about 215-220 in jeans and a T. Occasional DH racer. Ride whistler quite a bit.
Bike: Sunday with Hadley/823s.

My experience with tubeless has been pretty good so far. Certainly not trouble free, but hey, its downhill biking.

I've run a front tubeless set up and never had any issues whatsoever. In fact, if I bought another set of wheels, I'd be going lighter up front... maybe even a Stans Flow.

As for the rear, its not always been so rosy. In the two years I've been running tubeless, I've pinch flatted a couple of DHF USTs (one was 2 runs from brand new). I've also sliced one tire and punctured another (both at high elevation in sharp whistler rocks). Can't say whether a tubed set up would've been any different in those cases. Anyways, sliced tires are expensive issues, as any tire is more expensive than a tube.

However, in terms of flatting my track record wasn't really any different with tubes. I had to run freeride or DH tubes, otherwise I was flatting waaaay too easily. And even then, I still flatted a couple times a year.

As for set up, tubeless is money with UST tires, a little goop, wet (preferably soapy) beads, and a compressor. Its ridiculously so actually.

All in all, I'd say its worth giving it a try even if you're a deuce to deuce and a half.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i wouldn't be concerned about running tubeless at your weight. As long as you run a reasonable pressure you should be fine. I have a set of outlaws on the way and I'm more than likely gonna run ghetto tubeless. FWIW I'm roughly 200 with gear, but I like my tires on the higher psi side... ~30psi

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Im 220lbs geared up. 823s with Maxxis Minion 3Cs with 2 scoops of Stans, I usually hold the rear tire around 30psi, front tire in the mid-high 20s pending how wet/sloppy the trails are.

I ride mostly east coast trails(Bromont, MSA, NB Trails) and Ive only gotten one flat during the 3 seasons Ive used tubeless, the flat was caused by a high-speed crash that rolled the tire off the rim.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
230lb, 823 on rear has held up very very well. I run tubeless front and rear, on the front is ghetto and it hasn't been a steady relationship, I run 32-33psi in the front and have had a couple of issues with tire burbing (721), not so with the rear, but I run 35 psi.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm never buying another UST Maxxis DH tire as I've had a number of tears right at the bead. I'm not sure why the rubber is so thin on their UST tires, but if you get one, you'll see the rubber gets really sparse between the bead and the tires sidewall.

I had one tear from just landing sideways. Stans won't help you seal a 1/4 inch tear right near the rim either. Go with standard 3c models and you'll be better off. It takes them a bit to seal by comparison, but at least you won't tear those models.

You can run almost any standard tire tubeless with Stans on 823s though.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Im 220lbs geared up. 823s with Maxxis Minion 3Cs with 2 scoops of Stans, I usually hold the rear tire around 30psi, front tire in the mid-high 20s pending how wet/sloppy the trails are.
X2

NB: I found that with the 3C's that if you grind the little raised areas around the bead to rim contact area then it helps them seal 10 fold :thumb:
The raised bits I refer to are a small rib running vertical to the bead. I use a die grinder and stone to get them flush.

HTH

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have a set of 823's for my SS, I used them for a while but went to a set of stan's flow's for the huge weight savings.

I've ran Ust Nev's and they worked fine. I now have a 2.5 single ply high roller in the front and a dh in the rear. I weigh 200 and I've never burped or pulled off the bead. I do know a lighter rider who has though (specialized tire, and I suspect the bead may have been torn beforehand)

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
Basically the same configuration I ride on my bike.

I've never had major issues, besides a puncture on the rear tire right off the start of a Garbanzo ride.
I'd say tubeless are not puncture free, but are surely better than running tubes.

I have a couple of UST tires with punctures bigger than Stans would seal.
So I have to ride tubes with those tires untill I wear them out...

After all... GO FOR IT...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm 210 with gear, rode 823 rims with Minion DHF 3c tubeless w/ Stan's fluid all last summer at Northstar. Not a single problem, by far the best wheels I've owned. Only had to true the rear wheel once, and I'm not the smoothest rider.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
i wouldn't be concerned about running tubeless at your weight. As long as you run a reasonable pressure you should be fine. I have a set of outlaws on the way and I'm more than likely gonna run ghetto tubeless. FWIW I'm roughly 200 with gear, but I like my tires on the higher psi side... ~30psi
I have outlaws, and I'm running ghetto tubeless. The rims actually work great for it. We just electrical taped my wheels up so all of the spoke holes were covered. Went around the rim a few times, got some tubeless Kenda tires (since it is for my trail bike setup), then filled the tires up with air. They worked and didn't leak at all. That was without Stans. We decided to put Stans in anyway.
What sucked was I got a little tear in my back tire a month ago and now my tubeless tire has a tube in it. :(

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I bought some repair kit for tubeless tires as I refuse to just throw the punctured UST tyres away or ride tubes in them. Anyway is it so hard to actually patch the tyre from inside the same way you'd patch a punctured tube?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

I ride mostly east coast trails(Bromont, MSA, NB Trails) and Ive only gotten one flat during the 3 seasons Ive used tubeless, the flat was caused by a high-speed crash that rolled the tire off the rim.
That was pretty much the combo I was looking at running.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have outlaws, and I'm running ghetto tubeless. The rims actually work great for it. We just electrical taped my wheels up so all of the spoke holes were covered. Went around the rim a few times, got some tubeless Kenda tires (since it is for my trail bike setup), then filled the tires up with air. They worked and didn't leak at all. That was without Stans. We decided to put Stans in anyway.
What sucked was I got a little tear in my back tire a month ago and now my tubeless tire has a tube in it. :(
Cool thanks for the info

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I've been anywhere from 205lbs to 230lbs the past couple years..
-I ran Azonic Outlaws ghetto tubeless with stans when I first start riding and never had any issues with Kendas and then Michelins, my brother actually inherited those wheels and has had pretty much no issues running Michelins, but he's just under 200lbs.
-I switched to 823/hopes with stans and michelins for my 2nd season of riding dh/fr and they held up good as well, no issues with burping.. Just gotta check the tension on the 823/hopes, I found they got out of true more than my outlaws. I ran pretty much just ran Michelins or Maxxises, I tried running one of those Intense Light tires and ended up ripping the sidewall on my like 2nd run on them, and pretty much gave up on those.
-I ran tubes last season, as my new bike came with 721s/MTXs, and I didn't feel like doing ghetto tubeless.
-I'm back on 823/hopes with stans for this season, running Maxxis 3C Ardents non-UST. I ran the same tire on my old set of 823/hopes with zero-issues, so pretty confident I'll have no problems this season. I'll probably be at around 220lbs this season, if that helps..