Quantcast

Whos ready to watch the pain on the Sea Otter this year?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I found some pictures of the new top section... people will be getting hurt. It looks like they did a total rebuild of the top section.

30ft double:

Another view of the top section:

Here is a description from SFDirtlab:
Course Description
The start is exactly the same as years past, rolling out of the gate to a bumpy, grassy, sweeping left. It straightens out for a second and then there's the loose right hand sweeper that inevitably takes out so many racers that shot out of the gate with a little too much gusto. After the sweeper, there the same small double from last year, followed by a new double about the same size. You have to suck em up and speed jump them, pumping with all you got to clear the booter you're about to launch. After the two sets of dubs there's a big take off on the left and a little roller on the right. The fast line will be hitting the big takeoff, clearing about a 10 foot gap and then trying to clear the table to landing about 30 feet from the lip...only the best of riders will clear the whole thing. Beginners may opt for the roller on the right and will be met with a bucky little step up right after it, that takes em to the top of the same table. Roll off the backside and pedal up the lip of the next jump, about a 20 foot step down. Both of these jumps are way bigger than the jumps last year and should really seperate the classes. Also, with the new line, you carry alot more momentum into the next couple of features. This year, I think you'll see alot more guys popping off the top of the little step up and gapping over the table into the big left hand berm. Outta the berm, the next table got a better lip and a shortened table with a longer landing. This leads you into the right turn where the log over used to be. The log got burried and now theres a double into a berm there to set you for the mini rock garden section. It should be easy to pop off the first rock and clear the whole thing this year.

Middle
After the rock garden, there's a pedally straightaway section with a reworked table top. This jump use to be petty bucky and too short, now its a little better, longer and not as tall. Pedal out of the that section to a the little uphill single track into the S-berms. This entire section remains unchanged with the S-berms leading you to the log drop and the fast bumpy staight away that merges with the fire road. Nothing has changed from last year until the bottom section. Little fire road climb, to steep rutted section, into left hand berm (still rough at this point), to mini triple jump, to right hand turn and hip jump onto the pavement. blaze off the pavement and into the grassy singletrack sidehill section, rippin down to the bumpy double track.

Bottom
Keep your speed up down double track so you can clear the much cleaned up hip jump and let'r rip into the fun new section below. This little section is all new and super fun; Land the hip, rip through a sick liitle right hand berm, pop over the doubles and slide into the left hand berm. You're just about done at this point, pedal up and around a grassy corner, across the bridge, into the mini left berm, into the mini gully, over rollers and sprint to the finish.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
I'm leaving for Otter in the morning..........I hope it doesnt rain............oh wait.........it always rains........still a blast though.

Biggest sandbagger race of the year in my opinion....

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm bummed. I've meetings up the yin yang with our realtor. I suppose a home is more important? That course sounds so fun!

enjoydirt

Chimp
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle WA/ Monterey CA
huh, I wonder how hard it will really be to keep speed for that double. Especially in the rain...

And it does actually look like 30ft to the landing to me in that picture.

too bad im stuck in Seattle... bah.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
we haven't had rain in a while... it's been remarkably dry all spring.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm stoked. i always used to hear that the course was a little boring after the top section, it looks like they're trying to keep it interesting.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
hmmm...now the decision...to race HT DH or Sport XC...hmm...what do I want to waste $90 on more...

-ska todd

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
hmmm...now the decision...to race HT DH or Sport XC...hmm...what do I want to waste $90 on more...

-ska todd
The answer's at the top of this page : "Ridemonkey.com > Biking Forums > Downhill"

Doooooooooooooooooooooooo it :)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Yes, but do I want to waste most of my day on Fri & Sat trying to get maybe 2 practice runs in and then racing DH or do I want to "race" (and I use that term quite loosely) XC at 8am while hung over from the F1RST and Seasons premiers?? decisions, decisions!

-ska todd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yes, but do I want to waste most of my day on Fri & Sat trying to get maybe 2 practice runs in and then racing DH or do I want to "race" (and I use that term quite loosely) XC at 8am while hung over from the F1RST and Seasons premiers?? decisions, decisions!

-ska todd
Text me Friday so we can meet up for drinks.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
If you're at all competitive in your class (whatever class it is) you'll have no problem clearing a 10' gap. But even still I hope there is a couple minute video of crashes on it.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch

That is more than a ten foot gap. The wheelbase on a bike is just short of 4' and that gap is at least 3 wheelbases long. I would guess it is over 15'. I was surprised last summer how short 30' was when we started measuring out the jumps we were building.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
with a lip like that you won't have to worry about clearing the gap if you are carrying a reasonable amount of speed.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
I've been out in San Jose for a few days now and I hear that it's definitely more of a big bike course than ever before, still going to take the little bike down though. We'll be headed down Thursday sometime I suppose.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I might be in still! Work load got backed up really bad, wifes the one actually pushing to go. :D
Where is a good place to stay motel wise within 20 minutes of the otter?
If you don't mind staying with a few rowdy DHers we have a spot open in our condo, it's closer than 20min from the event and only $50 a night. Open invite to you, as I'd like to see the price drop for us a bit. We'll be there Thurs, Fri, and Sat. night.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you don't mind staying with a few rowdy DHers we have a spot open in our condo, it's closer than 20min from the event and only $50 a night. Open invite to you, as I'd like to see the price drop for us a bit. We'll be there Thurs, Fri, and Sat. night.
If it were me Fred Id be all over it! :thumb:
I appreciate the invite, but I am packing wifey and kids and we are doing the coast thing as well. Rep for invite!!!

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
[Offtopic-ish stuff]
I wonder, why there aren't more helmet cam videos from different
tracks before big races. It would be soooo much better, than trying to
describe tracks in words.

I think riders would appreciate it pretty much. Just my $.02.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
the jump is about 30 ft.

it'll be easy to clear when it's dry and hard, which it should be by now. we were hitting it right after it was built and it was pretty much clearable then.