Quantcast

Who's riding a Kona Jake?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm thinking of buying a Kona Jake (wish I could afford a Jake the snake). Any good/bad reviews? Any upgrades you made? I'll be using it mostly for training and road riding/rail trails.

And, of course, if anyone has a 49 for sale please let me know!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If this is of any assistance, I was in Fairbanks, and the Jake models were their most popular bikes there. The roads and paths were in mediocre condition and there was plenty of dirt as well.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I have heard good things about the Jake's. I don't think the components are too bad and for sure you could upgrade them when they wear out. The only think I have heard is about a "harsh" ride.

I have a Rocky Mountain Rail w\ aluminium frame and fork. I dont think it gets "harsher" than that. I have raced CX on it, ridden trails with it, and road rides as well. I love the versitility of the bike.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Jake, but ride one and see what you think. :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Squeak said:
I have heard good things about the Jake's. I don't think the components are too bad and for sure you could upgrade them when they wear out. The only think I have heard is about a "harsh" ride.

I have a Rocky Mountain Rail w\ aluminium frame and fork. I dont think it gets "harsher" than that. I have raced CX on it, ridden trails with it, and road rides as well. I love the versitility of the bike.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Jake, but ride one and see what you think. :)

Thanks! I'll look into the the Rocky Mountain. I'm certainly not using it for racing, as I'm primarily a mountain biker. Price is definitely a factor too and Jake (around $750) seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

And other suggestions/other bikes to check out would be great!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bluebug - you should be able to get a great price on a 2005 Kona right now - shops are moving bikes to make room for 2006s Konas already. So maybe you could get into a Jake the Snake after all.

Keep us posted if you go with a CX bike!

You might also want to inquire about the price of a Surly Cross check - it may be a tad heavier, but it is a steel frame and it may give a more compliant ride.

I think Jamis makes a nice CX bike too and that can probably be found at a good price point as well.

What brands of bikes does your favorite LBS carry?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
bluebug32 said:
Thanks! I'll look into the the Rocky Mountain. I'm certainly not using it for racing, as I'm primarily a mountain biker. Price is definitely a factor too and Jake (around $750) seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

And other suggestions/other bikes to check out would be great!
Actually the Rocky Mountain is not made anymore, its a couple years old. But I think the Jake is a great bike! You should get it. :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
Bluebug - you should be able to get a great price on a 2005 Kona right now - shops are moving bikes to make room for 2006s Konas already. So maybe you could get into a Jake the Snake after all.

Keep us posted if you go with a CX bike!

You might also want to inquire about the price of a Surly Cross check - it may be a tad heavier, but it is a steel frame and it may give a more compliant ride.

I think Jamis makes a nice CX bike too and that can probably be found at a good price point as well.

What brands of bikes does your favorite LBS carry?

Hey. Kona dealers are hard to come by. My local shop has nothing in the way of O5 Jakes. Anyone have any 49s floating around their local shops??

I can get a lot of different brands down here....Trek, Specialized, Marin, Kona, Gary F., Cannondale, Fuji, Giant, Jamis, Santa Cruz...and probably some I'm forgetting about.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That gives you lots of options then. A small CX bike like that might be hard to find stocked in a shop though. They may have to order you one.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I had a first generation Jake the Snake in a 49. Good little bike. I pimped it up a bit with XTR cantis, new rims wider bars lighter chair and post, 1 inch Synchros headset.. One thing with that Jake, it had a high bb so I had a hard time getting the bars at saddle height. Plus it had toe overlap which for trail ridding can be an issue. I think at our frame size, they are all a bit harsh. There's just not a lot of tubing length to have much give. Just get wider tires.

The Lemond Poprad is a pretty nice rig too. Cannondale are nice but might be too much coin for your budget.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
bluebug32 said:
Hey. Kona dealers are hard to come by. My local shop has nothing in the way of O5 Jakes. Anyone have any 49s floating around their local shops??

I can get a lot of different brands down here....Trek, Specialized, Marin, Kona, Gary F., Cannondale, Fuji, Giant, Jamis, Santa Cruz...and probably some I'm forgetting about.
Have you tried Trailblazers yet (he's a Kona dealer)? It's a bit of a drive but the owner, Victor (posts here sometimes as T-blazer) is absolutely WONDERFUL to work with. Give him a call and see what he can do for you and you can certainly tell him I sent you :thumb:

His website & info: Trailblazers

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have a Kona Jake that I use for cyclocross and winter road riding. It is kinda a harsh ride offroad since it is pretty much a burly road bike. It is significantly heavier then a road bike, but not quite as heavy as a mountain bike. I don't have any complaints about it. Kona does usually sell out of them so I don't know how much luck you will have finding a left over one from last year.