Quantcast

Who's still open (East Coast)?

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
All the local mountains (Snowshoe, Wisp, Wintergreen) w/ riding seem to have shutdown for the season. Other than Diablo, anywhere else still have lifts running in the mid-atlantic? Does Seven Springs still have DH?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Snowshoe closed a week or two ago. Wisp doesn't really have a bike program. Wintergreen i wouldn't bother.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I hit Plattekill last weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect with the wet leaves, but it was awesome. There's something about landing 10-15 footers on wet roots and leaves that brings out the primal fear :devil:

Most fun I've ever had there.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
is wintergreen open till the end of the month? they seemed to have changed their website and i want to hit their new 30 foot road gap

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
metalMTB said:
is wintergreen open till the end of the month? they seemed to have changed their website and i want to hit their new 30 foot road gap

i'm not sure when Wintergreen closes, but if you are farther than 30-45 minutes away, don't waste your time and money. it's not bad riding if it's a last resort thing, but it isn't enough to make a big trip out of it.

as far as a '30 foot road gap'....what kind of measuring stick are you using? Pinkbike? NSMB? the only 'road gap' that i know of is a downhill run-in into a culvert and back up to road level,then sending you a whopping SEVEN FEET over a gravel access road onto an unlimited run-out area.

have fun with that one. :thumb:

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
no, this guy i know (jake) who works at village ski and bike showed me a video on his phone. it's definitely huge... and you have to make a sharp 90 degree turn after it and if you don't you go off a cliff?. sounds kinda sketchy, i've just heard this from 2 different people who've been there. i think it was a recent addition like a month ago.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dante said:
wondered where you were. you missed seeing some '06 toys as well as IH-sponsored pizza. :D you going to be back for the race this weekend?
dude if i could convince someone to go this weekend i would go. i don't have a car...
i will pay for all the gas there and back. but theres a small thing here called the Mudcup. not really thrilled about that one.. but nice to see a local mtn doing something.
will be there for diabloween though. already got my costume

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Echo said:
I hit Plattekill last weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect with the wet leaves, but it was awesome. There's something about landing 10-15 footers on wet roots and leaves that brings out the primal fear :devil:

I was there for this one, Truly epic. Arguably one of the best times I've ever had on 2 wheels. At first glance your like holy S**T what am I getting into, but once your on the trails and raging it doesn't get any better. All the drops are totaly doable although that wall ride kicked my ass atleast half a dozen times before I got up on it. If your going to go anywhere go there, I might be heading back again this weekend

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
While some may say don't bother, it is the only thing open....close to me anyway. I'm going up on Saturday for one last romp....

I'm going to have next season planned out better....

Speaking of which, when does Snowshoe open? May? yeah yeah yeah, I know, it was probably posted....but hey, I'm just a grumpy old man. :p

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
that's Wintergreen you are refering to, Sirknight? I don't have high expectations (Wisp is my local mtn), and it might be nice to visit my old stomping grounds in VA... Are they definitely open?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
MarsB said:
that's Wintergreen you are refering to, Sirknight? I don't have high expectations (Wisp is my local mtn), and it might be nice to visit my old stomping grounds in VA... Are they definitely open?
Wintergreen is open the next 2 Saturdays.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
MarsB said:

Well, It's not WISP, but, its convenient and it certainly a place to ride. I don't do the comparison thing, as one would have to be rather bored to do so.

WG is what it is. For me, it's convenient and a place to ride and open.

'm going up this Saturday.

Sep 28, 2005
mobius, why do you feel the need to always have a negative vibe towards wintergreen, as someone who rides there regularly, i have to say, you annoy the **** out of me, and you sound like your 15, jerkoff. almost heaven, the road gap of which you speak is actually 12 to 14 feet accross and you dont have infinite runout space, so dont comment on things you have no idea about, stupid hater, and sir mcknight, why do you play the fence with this loyalty game, its obvious to me you talk a big game to my face and then get on here and try to please other people by acting and talking like its uncool to come here. dont tell me what a good time you have here(wg) to my face and then turn around and not support me. to everyone else, had a great season hope to see everyone next year. -hot carl

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I read that post C, and I think................hhhhhmmmmmm.....Xanex....... :p :D

:think: I’ll bring some with me……:D

Again, for everyone to review WISP is what it is, Wintergreen is what it is, Snowshoe is what it is, Whistler, is what it is. What they are is a place to ride and have fun.

WG is fun convenient and close. SS. is huge, fun and long. WISP is huge, fun and fast. Whistler, I have no idea, never been.

We are ALL tired of the us and them thing.

So, back to the thread at hand, I'm going up to WG for one last romp. Its a great break for me from school, especially with finals.

I look forward to next season, so I can actually start riding in April May as opposed to starting in mid July.

Anyone else going up?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I have been to wintergreen and snowshoe. I really love snowshoe, and I would say wintergreen is very near to being as good as snowshoe.

And yes, the roadgap at wintergreen is quite scary. The lander is only about 2 feet wide and its very steep and you need to be on your brakes right when you land. I just did it last weekend! ;)

Wintergreen is sweet, and seeing how it is only 3 hours away, compared to 7 for snowshoe, wintergreen will be seeing some business from the Triangle NC guys! :cool:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Echo said:

What day were you there and what bike were you riding? I was there on sunday riding my turner. The wet leaves were a bitch, and im not really a fan of that side of the mountain. They better fix the triple before they close.

Lately the lift attendants have been very bitter. :think:

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Seven Springs has the Collegiate Nationals in about a week if you're looking for a good time with drunken DHers. I really wish I could go myself. But CU will take it home I promise you that. :thumb: