Quantcast

whos still riding an m9 ?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
looking on getting mine freshened up and getting back out there. I stopped riding it cause it still creaked even after the new boxlink and bearings, anyway curious to know who is out there on one and how is it treating you.

bb is one spacer to the left and 2 to the right, right ?

cheers

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Spacer set-up probably depends on how the welder was feeling that day.
pretty much, I still can't believe they didn't want to warranty my boxlink and got no support from my local distributer and had to pay for it as I also worked at a shop who at the time distributed intense. I'm thinking either my bb threads are toast and I need deeper cups like a king bb, or something is still loose somewhere, or my swingarm is twisted

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
still on mine after almost 6 years and 3 box links later. havent had any issues since replacing them several years ago and all the creaking went away with it. this is the longest ive had a bike and the downtube is pretty beat up but the frame is still good to go.
i have two spacers on the left and one on the right and my chainline has never been an issue.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
still on mine after almost 6 years and 3 box links later. havent had any issues since replacing them several years ago and all the creaking went away with it. this is the longest ive had a bike and the downtube is pretty beat up but the frame is still good to go.
i have two spacers on the left and one on the right and my chainline has never been an issue.

3 box links ur shitting me, how could u tell they were good ??? Binding ?? Spacing ??? Axle line up ??? I recently torqued the fuck out of my flip chips n the bike seams quiet, havnt been to the mountain yet.

Interesting chainline debate

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
3 box links ur shitting me, how could u tell they were good ??? Binding ?? Spacing ??? Axle line up ??? I recently torqued the fuck out of my flip chips n the bike seams quiet, havnt been to the mountain yet.

Interesting chainline debate
Stock one didn't have the updated collet axle setup and the second one was somehow tapped from the opposite direction for the axles. Third one was the charm. Ha
Be careful over tightening the flip chips as they are only aluminum and you will pull the threads out.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
M9 looked so much cooler than the M16 IMO. The new one just looks a bit patched and gusseted together where the M9 looks so clean and purposeful with the hydro forming.
Probably due to the carbon version's lines, but still.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Stock one didn't have the updated collet axle setup and the second one was somehow tapped from the opposite direction for the axles. Third one was the charm. Ha
Be careful over tightening the flip chips as they are only aluminum and you will pull the threads out.
Just to make sure from the non drive side witch direction are they suppose to tighten ?? And do you know the torques ?? Are you still greasing/ anti seizing your chips even withe your new box link ?? I have the new one, if it still creeks I'm thinking bb or the bushings on my ccdb....

4130 I agree, my m9 is so dope I love it, I need to rebuild my 40
N get some new stickers
image.jpg

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Just wish it didn't creak and my 40 wasn't so fucking loud too with spring slap, looking too bleed the brakes when I get fresh covers for a lever, fresh rotors too maybe a new chain if I can find a 9 speed, maybe swap to m820 shifting, needs a ti 400lbs not this 350 and doesn't anyone know the actual stock setting of the ccdb on the m9 or is it a factory ccdb setting from the factory ??

And does anyone run some funny 40 settings ?? Like 1 click from wide open low speed and 2 clicks from closed high speed with mid rebound ?!?!?!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just to make sure from the non drive side witch direction are they suppose to tighten ?? And do you know the torques ?? Are you still greasing/ anti seizing your chips even withe your new box link ?? I have the new one, if it still creeks I'm thinking bb or the bushings on my ccdb....
are you talking about the box link? the collet should be tightened to 65in/lbs and the bolt is 120 in/lbs iirc.
yes, i still put a light layer of antiseize on the chips even with the new link. it is a tighter fit than the original link so the thin layer is really just there to cover my bases on noises that are preventable.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I used to use Teflon tape on my flip chips. The bike never made a sound.

I had replaced my box link from the old to new one and it was solid.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I've got two M9s in my garage, mine and my daughter's. I got mine from the first batch and have had zero problems. Got hers used this spring, it's a year or two newer. Mine creaks a bit, but mostly it goes away if I make sure the spring is sitting on the collar properly.