Quantcast

Who's the a-hole?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BV, you might have taken the subway before. I took the NYC subway for decades and I still take the Bay Area version.

I'm just telling you people do not like when you bug them, and East Coast people are going to react in a nonpassive way.

And I guarantee you won't snapping photos of strangers the next time you take subway either.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
BV, you might have taken the subway before. I took the NYC subway for decades and I still take the Bay Area version.

I'm just telling you people do not like when you bug them, and East Coast people are going to react in a nonpassive way.

And I guarantee you won't snapping photos of strangers the next time you take subway either.
Yeah, that was my first thought... I was picturing taking random pictures of people the 7 train and thinking that it'd be a great way to get your ass beat.

In reality she was probably a tourist from the Weeble-Wobble Nation (aka the South or WI) snapping pics of pure boston awesome.
:rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You keep emphasizing East Coast people, like I haven't lived on the east coast my entire life.

Read the original post. This was a completely passive activity that nobody commented on or even noticed until the OP aggressively demanded that she delete everything.

I'm not arguing about whether people would be inclined to say something or not. I'm quite sure that, if they noticed, many people might turn away, some may ask you to not take their picture, and a few people will make a scene.

I'm equally sure some people would demand the photos be deleted, and some might even get hostile and threaten you. Those people are assholes - which was the question at hand.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You keep emphasizing East Coast people, like I haven't lived on the east coast my entire life.

NC is the south, not the east coast. You could easily say your phone/camera was the memory eraser from MIB, and all the over-all wearing, rifle toting, tobacco chewing, straw sucking, lifted pickup driving rednecks would be too scared and confused as to why Will Smith is a nerdy white dude to bother getting mad at you.

And don't say when you were in NH that was the coast either, because that's basically the south of the north.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Read the original post. This was a completely passive activity that nobody commented on or even noticed until the OP aggressively demanded that she delete everything.

I'm not arguing about whether people would be inclined to say something or not. I'm quite sure that, if they noticed, many people might turn away, some may ask you to not take their picture, and a few people will make a scene.

I'm equally sure some people would demand the photos be deleted, and some might even get hostile and threaten you. Those people are assholes - which was the question at hand.
She was using a cellphone camera, not a SLR rig. It is easy to hide photo taking, which apparently she was doing.

as she tries to covertly takes pictures of everyone around her on the train.
And yes, the East Coast includes Newfoundland and Florida, so yes, your experiences as an East Coaster are similar to mine as as born and bred New Yorker, particularly when it comes to taking the subway.

And response level is certainly community-based. Hearing people tell each other to go **** themselves is not uncommon on New York Subway.

Take Borat for example. The crap he pulled worked great in the South, but NYers are somewhat more direct.

But if you want to keep proving how much you know about subway etiquette, then go ahead. I actually have to get on BART right now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
NC is the south, not the east coast. You could easily say your phone/camera was the memory eraser from MIB, and all the over-all wearing, rifle toting, tobacco chewing, straw sucking, lifted pickup driving rednecks would be too scared and confused as to why Will Smith is a nerdy white dude to bother getting mad at you.

And don't say when you were in NH that was the coast either, because that's basically the south of the north.
and you're from massachusetts....so you like black people as long as you don't have to live near them?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
your lucky she didn't try to molest you AND film it. if you felt that strongly about it then you could have gotten off at the next stop and reported her to a T Inspector. not sure if they would have done anything since most T workers are pretty useless, but at least throw the ball in their court and let them deal with it