Quantcast

wht do you guys think of the new banshee legend mk1

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I've spent a bit of time chatting with Keith (the designer) and the guy does know his stuff alright... I'll be riding one this year too, will let you know how it goes.

Oct 14, 2007
looks nice/simple...its still good to find people out there that wont try to indoctrinate you with lies on linkage issues....just straight up no none sens description

Terrorfirma

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
The wonderful world of catalog bikes...

At a risk of sounding biased from my (old and unfitting) username, the bike is quite visually pleasing to me.
I've read this post a couple times but I still don't know how it reads... are you saying Canfield is a catalog bike or am I interpreting the meaning wrong.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was thinking Karpiel... but then again, it looks like something I drew up on a napkin, when I was drunk and still living in Montreal. They copied me!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Firstly, saying a frame looks like another is pointless.

Secondly, I wanna see the revised geo.

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hmmm... no negative comments so far. it will be a proto ride. hoping it will be a fast one! The numbers seem right. i cant remember seeing another bike with its shock positioned so low. should corner well in theory i guess. never know till u ride the final product.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
I will be riding one this year as well. Only one in california?! It definitely looks to be a winner and I am truly happy they are going with Igus bearings instead of roller bearings... Finally someone gets it.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Lets see a real picture of one!

All we've seen is computer produced renditions of this bike, there must be something made of aluminum for the public to see by now, especially if you expect racers to be using them this season.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Looks like there are serious about DH now and are in it for the long haul.

They have selected 50 riders around world to race on this frame this year. I beleive the top Pro rider in Brazil is one of them.
They hope to use the input from these racers during the season to improve and modify the design for next year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
excellent shock placement and center of gravity. doesn't look as long as the canfields...those bikes always seem to ride great, so I imagine this will.

It would be cool if that kind of technology came to the low end of things. Canfield bikes are always pretty expensive, a taiwan knockoff would sell like hotcakes.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I thought of that after I posted. What's the price difference between these bikes? Does the banshee have a floater?
The Banshee doesn't need a floater - the IC is a fair way forwards anyway.

as are many, many others.

The Banshee Legend isn't some catalog frame. The guy who is designing it posts here and on NSMB. Where the actual frame production happens doesn't mean a whole lot. Welders are welders.
Correct - I have been speaking to Keith for a few weeks now and let me assure you the guy is doing 100% of the design work himself. He also has more than half a clue about bikes/suspension.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Edit
as are many, many others.

The Banshee Legend isn't some catalog frame. The guy who is designing it posts here and on NSMB. Where the actual frame production happens doesn't mean a whole lot. Welders are Robots.

I really, really, really dig all the new Banshee FS bikes. What a phenomenal turn-around in the ID and engineering department.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seriously, this is a big upgrade from the scream et al.

The new line looks great, I could see a small travel bike in my future. I'm waiting to hear real-world comments.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
First test for the Legend prototypes... the Pan American championship DH after 2 days of learning to ride and trying to set up the new bikes.

Markolf: 1st Mens Elite DH (won by 3 seconds)

Marcelo: 1st Junior DH (Won by 3 seconds even tho he crashed hard in qualifying and had to go to hospital due to a badly swollen knee and was riding a 500lbs spring instead of a 350lbs! says a lot about his riding ability!)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
very cool looking bikes! Its nice to see one of those frames built

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
thye look great, but I am very hesitant. This is a big jump from what Banshee was doing earlier, and they are making a lot of claims that don't jive with thier history.

While the frame LOOKS good, I would wait and see how she rides before commenting. I don't beleive the wins listed above mean much, as we don't know who the competition was, and its been proven again and again that a top rider can make even a mediocre bike a winner.

That said, I hope they are close to as good as they say. The banshee guys are a good bunch of people.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
thye look great, but I am very hesitant. This is a big jump from what Banshee was doing earlier, and they are making a lot of claims that don't jive with thier history.

While the frame LOOKS good, I would wait and see how she rides before commenting. I don't beleive the wins listed above mean much, as we don't know who the competition was, and its been proven again and again that a top rider can make even a mediocre bike a winner.

That said, I hope they are close to as good as they say. The banshee guys are a good bunch of people.

As far as the competition goes down there, it is good. Up to par with a National up here, with a couple of World Cup level racers mixed in. I agree with your statement about the rider making the differance however.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I agree with your statement about the rider making the differance however.
Even more when they point out one of the riders was on way to heavy of a spring. This does not say much about the performance of a bike since the bike was not working properly.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Ever heard of iron horse? :rofl:
Yep, but Iron Horse jumped in stages. First came garbage, then the new SGS (good), then the Sunday (very good), then the polished up Sunday (thats now.)

Banshee has, so far, made middle of the road stuff. Nothing amazing, but fairly solid. The Legend is a far step above anything they've tried, or done before. It will be very interesting to see their progress.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
SGS (good),
That's debatable. ;)

My point is just that this may very well be a good dh bike. You'll never know till you ride one. The guys may have making them might have learned a lot in a few years. I'm not holding their past against them. Every company out there has made some lemons.

I think the screams were crap too but I'm also open to the possibility that these guys may have gotten in right in one step. I hope to see some this summer and mabye get some riding on one.

I just brought up iron horse because they went from (relative) obscurity to making the most popular dh frame on the planet in a REALLY short time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its funny, but we are saying the same thing. :D

I am really curious to see if they can pull it off. I am a bit skeptical, but that might be from the ridiculous stuff posted about the frame already. If you read the marketing flak, you can pretty much ride this thing on water. :)