Quantcast

wht do you guys think of the new banshee legend mk1

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Holy crap, who was responsible for the decision to hire an engineer at Banshee? It looks like it was actually designed by someone whose design goals weren't a frame best used to pound nails or use as ballast.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Haha, it was my idea to start working for Banshee, the old designer Pip had other things he wanted to do, and I saw it as a good challange to completely revamp and update the banshee line, I've been here 18 months and have made 7 new models to try and change what people think... I realise it will take some time and a lot of effort to get everyone away from thinking Banshee = heavy gussettes, but I know we can do it because we have access to the most advanced tooling in the bike world, so the sky is the limit.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
looks pretty bitchin' to me.

anybody know the projected price of this beast?

is this design in violation of any US patents? and if so, would that affect the availability in the US?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i liked my scream, it just happened to be a small...and i ride mediums, the wt wasn't killer cause it was pretty bomb proof, my only gripe was the rocker bearings...needed needle bearings, i crushed some regular ones

this new frame looks pretty nice though. be interesting to see how it rides

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Edit

I really, really, really dig all the new Banshee FS bikes. What a phenomenal turn-around in the ID and engineering department.
I whole-heartedly agree with this statement :banana:
Not only have they stepped up with some great frames, they are great dudes to talk with, are super stoked on bikes, building trails and listening to their riders and are very supportive.

I'm not saying that other companies are not doing this, I'm just saying it is good to see these guys going for it and making big improvements. If they are willing to put their neck out there to create an awesome product, have great CS and get people involved then I am all about it!

From everything I have read and seen about the Legend it should be a great frame. Will it be then end all be all of FS DH frames? I dunno I cannot say as I have not ridden one yet?

Will it ride on water? Maybe if you are fast enough...it does have a "canoe" :)

syc7090

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
good looking frame. looks simple and clean, just the way i like it.

hope it rides as good as it looks.

Terrorfirma

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
looks pretty bitchin' to me.

anybody know the projected price of this beast?

is this design in violation of any US patents? and if so, would that affect the availability in the US?
Price will probably be about 3K with DHX5 although I am considering also offering the double barrel OE as it fits so nicely in the frame and all the dials are just packaged nicely in the frame.
Also me and Chris Canfield we're talking about hi-speed rebound and figure its actually something worth having.

We've done our due diligence on the patent part. The closest would be the DW Link, and a Trek patent but without going into a huge post let me just say that we have significant differences in the design so as to not infringe on any of the ones that are closest to this design.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Price will probably be about 3K with DHX5 although I am considering also offering the double barrel OE as it fits so nicely in the frame and all the dials are just packaged nicely in the frame.
Also me and Chris Canfield we're talking about hi-speed rebound and figure its actually something worth having.

We've done our due diligence on the patent part. The closest would be the DW Link, and a Trek patent but without going into a huge post let me just say that we have significant differences in the design so as to not infringe on any of the ones that are closest to this design.
3K!!!!!? I wasn't guessing that high, but I figured that big machined chunk was going to be costly. Wait...

...is that NT or USD?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yep, but Iron Horse jumped in stages. First came garbage, then the new SGS (good), then the Sunday (very good), then the polished up Sunday (thats now.)

Banshee has, so far, made middle of the road stuff. Nothing amazing, but fairly solid. The Legend is a far step above anything they've tried, or done before. It will be very interesting to see their progress.
Well the common factor between IH and Banshee is that they both improved very quickly when they got a new designer on board.

I've spoken to Keith quite a bit about the design and whatnot, and in my fairly educated opinion he knows his stuff. I have no doubt that the first year models will have some minor bugs to iron out (my expectation is hardware or clearances or something), but that's why they're getting 50 of us grassroots guys on board - we get the frames for cheap as a trade for being guinea pigs and providing feedback.

I actually don't think it's that hard to get geometry at least close to right though - low BB, slack head angle and an appropriate choice of wheelbase will pretty much do it for ya.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
There have been more delays than I care to recall... I will personally be going out to the factory next week for a month to oversee the legend production which should be ready to start shipping by the end of May.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
There have been more delays than I care to recall... I will personally be going out to the factory next week for a month to oversee the legend production which should be ready to start shipping by the end of May.
This is how the rest of the bike industry should operate. Prompt, honest and with a plan to make things better....

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
So far we have 5 Golds from 5 races on the Legend prototypes

Now here are some pics of how the frames will look for the lucky 50...

BLOG

Jul 19, 2005
Manizales, COLOMBIA
I`ve ridden Marcelo`s Bike and its great. Huge jump for banshee bikes, this is a true DH race bike, it looks good too!!
His legend is at 17.4 kg. we took some pictures of it last week and they were supposed to put them on their blog, if not ill put some later.