Quantcast

$(*&#$(*& Why am I up at 5am on Sunday GMT&(#*$&*

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Wifey is having a small panic attack about sarsbola. Her rich friends in Bay Area are going full prepper emptying the shelves of Whole Foods in fear of a region wide quarantine.

Her other super rich friends in SoCal are pulling their kids from school. A couple of Chinese kids in Newport Coast were put into school on Friday, not telling anyone that they were fleeing China. Newport Coast is a bunch of super rich people, so they are apparently above vaccinating their kids...

In other news, of our friends from college and single times after college, were the "poor" ones.

She also still wants a Peleton/Echelon...
email this to her friends..

20200301_225333.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would seem Seattle is in full Corona virus panic. Reports of runs on grocery stores, in particular water and TP for people to hole up in their homes. They must have forgotten that they get chlorinated water delivered that can essentially take care of both. Coincidentally, for the next week I am holed up in a remote cabin in southwest Utah, outside a town of 1000 with my dog and bike. If I have a vote for when the end time comes, I say now.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I almost bought 20 acres with water in Apple Valley 22 years ago, but bought a bike shop instead. Not sure if that would have panned out better, actually.
started riding there in 97’...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I almost bought 20 acres with water in Apple Valley 22 years ago, but bought a bike shop instead. Not sure if that would have panned out better, actually.
started riding there in 97’...

Views are amazing, dirt is fickle (dust or wet concrete or dry concrete). Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but if not for the weather and views I could get a similar experience riding staircases and loading docks anywhere. Assuming that fucking up a loading dock huck to flat would result in a Wile E Coyote style fall from a cliff.

That all said, if shit don't go sideways when I am done working I would see selling my place in Seattle and spending summers on the Olympic Peninsula and wintering here.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Yeah, I like Gooseberry for maybe one afternoon, but I have more fun on Little Creek, Grafton, JEM with the kiddo, Wire Mesa, etc.
I know St. George land would have tripled (or more) in price, but I wouldn’t have seen that return in A.V., from what I have seen. We bougt a house in Teton Valley in 2000 instead...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
1) Made it SFO-OGG finally. Landed about 3 hours late, which is a bit of a pain in the ass given that we have all 3 kids with us and this pushed things well past their bedtime in either time zone. But they're settled in.

2) As @Jozz noted heated gloves are a thing. I haven't tried them myself since my Hestras are fine 99% of the time, but I know of people who really like them, and Mrs. @stoney would as well, no doubt, especially as penance for the TX admin being attractive thing that's his fault, clearly. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
1) Made it SFO-OGG finally. Landed about 3 hours late, which is a bit of a pain in the ass given that we have all 3 kids with us and this pushed things well past their bedtime in either time zone. But they're settled in.

2) As @Jozz noted heated gloves are a thing. I haven't tried them myself since my Hestras are fine 99% of the time, but I know of people who really like them, and Mrs. @stoney would as well, no doubt, especially as penance for the TX admin being attractive thing that's his fault, clearly. :D
so are usb bluetooth heated insoles for shoes....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, I like Gooseberry for maybe one afternoon, but I have more fun on Little Creek, Grafton, JEM with the kiddo, Wire Mesa, etc.
I know St. George land would have tripled (or more) in price, but I wouldn’t have seen that return in A.V., from what I have seen. We bougt a house in Teton Valley in 2000 instead...
I plan on hitting all the trails in the area short of the redbull lines in Virgin.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Wow, I have ridden Brian Head and Cedar Breaks, but I have not heard of this trail. On the list now!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Eh, I rode Flying Monkey in my prime and it scared me shitless in a place or two...I believe it was some serious cliff exposure and I had a backpack full of cameras throwing me off.

That said, it's me, so it may not have bothered lots of others lol. But I don't feel I'm that much of a ninny....

(ed: watched video and I think I may have had to do some drops before any bypass lines existed...or I am just sacless...)

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Eh, I rode Flying Monkey in my prime and it scared me shitless in a place or two...I believe it was some serious cliff exposure and I had a backpack full of cameras throwing me off.

That said, it's me, so it may not have bothered lots of others lol. But I don't feel I'm that much of a ninny....

(ed: watched video and I think I may have had to do some drops before any bypass lines existed...or I am just sacless...)
My friend rode it with a local and said it helped a lot with line choice and speed.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It would seem Seattle is in full Corona virus panic. Reports of runs on grocery stores, in particular water and TP for people to hole up in their homes. They must have forgotten that they get chlorinated water delivered that can essentially take care of both. Coincidentally, for the next week I am holed up in a remote cabin in southwest Utah, outside a town of 1000 with my dog and bike. If I have a vote for when the end time comes, I say now.
you still have your GTI?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TBF, slices in NYC are on average better than pizza in Italy, in my extensive research. But that’s just the pizza I grew up with, sooo...
Well, he was basing all this on some clients from Chicago saying this was better than anything they'd had there... so the whole situation was really suspect right from the beginning...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks for the heads up, but according to my favorite weather app, that is under at least two feet of snow.
I was gonna mention that...reminds me of this thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Everything here has significantly higher consequences than I am used to. I find myself questioning stuff I would normally ride without a second thought, but a mistake will not be a roll in some loam but falling off a cliff or at least lots of pointy rocks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I hadn't even read the whole thread...didn't realize you were there at this very moment.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah road tripping in the Golf R. That thing can cover some serious distance quickly and comfortably. At 80+mph milage does drop a bit with a long ass bike hanging off the back.
One day I will get one, too, as long as they are still available with a 6T manual.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One day I will get one, too, as long as they are still available with a 6T manual.
This is my 3rd golf variant. If there is still a gas MT option available the next time I need a new car I will probably end up with a 4th. But that is unlikely, I justified the R over a GTI because it is likely my last opportunity for such a car.