Quantcast

Why are MTB helmets so ugly?

Dirtclod

Chimp
Mar 10, 2006
Norco, CA
I usually wear my pro-tec helmet for trail riding, dirt jumps and skateparks. Need to find something with more ventilation for trail riding. Problem is, every MTB specific helmet that I can find looks like it should be worn by a fat guy in spandex. Any help?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Giro Xen

Giro Hex

Both look cool, and work well. Kind of like a pro-tec w/ a visor, but lighter.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Specialized Decible, matte black, best looking XC helmet out there!

But why does it matter? All mountain bikers look about the same, is there a fashion contest I didn't get invited to?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
Apparently........... :think:
I mean, if your that pretty that you have to worry about what helmet looks the best, maybe MTB isn't the sport for you.....maybe croquet or beauty pageants.....

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I'll add another vote for the Xen. Really nice looking, fits (me at least) pretty well, good solid protection. Problem is the damned price.

And it's all in the eye of the beholder. I love the Pneumo (an other road helmets) and Xen, but hate the Hex.

Dirtclod

Chimp
Mar 10, 2006
Norco, CA
Oh c'mon, you've got to admit that some of the helmets look like they should be on the 40 year old virgin with one pant leg tucked in the sock.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Dirtclod said:
Oh c'mon, you've got to admit that some of the helmets look like they should be on the 40 year old virgin with one pant leg tucked in the sock.
I've never seen someone so concerned about looking like a fat, 40 year old virgin, because of a bike helmet........makes you wonder?:clue:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Make your own out of tin foil. Seems to work for N8 at least.

I have a Bell I got at Wal-Mart or something for $20 and it seems to be ok since I haven't fallen on my head since I got it 10 years ago.

I also have a Vigor Vamoose 2 because it's the only one that fit my HUGE melon. It's chrome and ugly as hell, but it was $120 and light with great vents.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jimmydean said:
I also have a Vigor Vamoose 2 because it's the only one that fit my HUGE melon. It's chrome and ugly as hell, but it was $120 and light with great vents.
Also the helmet of choice for those of us with wee melons. :ouch:

Personally, I have the carbon model which IMHO looks badass. :cool:

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
DH Diva said:
I've never seen someone so concerned about looking like a fat, 40 year old virgin, because of a bike helmet........makes you wonder?:clue:
Hey now! Not all of us fat 40+ guys are virgins. :oink:
But just so you know this fat azz is so good looking that I wear a full face! lol

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
spookydave said:
But just so you know this fat azz is so good looking that I wear a full face! lol
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply such a thing. :) :)

And hey, if you got a good lookin mug ya gotta protect it right?;)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Dirtclod said:

Yeah but still an improvment over those ugly BMX lid....look like the sort of thing mentaly handicaped kids would design.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
spookydave said:
PSSSHT! PSSSSHT! PSSSHT! Hear that? That's the sound of an expanding head...

(writer's embellishment)
"But just so you know this fat azz is SO GOOD LOOKING that I wear a full face! Well, at least when I'm not running around pulling a bell tower rope screaming, "SANCTUARY, SANCTUARY!"
:rofl:

Oh hell, I think that's such a good sarcastic funny, I'm gonna put a second rofl in there.:rofl:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hit by a car at only 45?
Any certified helmet will do but a DH helmet would be good.
However your better bet equipment upgrade for that would be body armour.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hit by a car at only 45?
Any certified helmet will do but a DH helmet would be good.
However your better bet equipment upgrade for that would be body armour.
Incorrect.

You need an F150 Raptor that you've spent another $20k extra on stick on brodozer accessories.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
If you are cruising at 45km/h and get hit by a car. I would wish for a motorcycle helmet? Or do u think the MIPS Mtb helmets would be up for the task? Would a motocross-styled helmet be better than the helmets with flatter jaw protection? Ty
Well I am not really sure on the freedoms to KM conversion, but that sounds fast. I’d recommend full leathers. I wear leather at most group rides. They are hot but I feel safe.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
45km is about what I get upto on my hardtail on faster sections of track around here.
it's about 25 derp's per hour.
it's also about the speed limit on suburban streets around here and going by the injuries I've seen at the bike shop over the last decade I'm still going with body armor being a better upgrade than a moto helmet.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The same reason that pretzels come in a plastic bag that rips wide open when you try to only carefully open the top. Sure, of it....