Quantcast

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So, if I got this right, MacDonalds (who is owned by Tenneco) actually makes Marzocchi forks, which is why they need moar shimz and have iced mocha coffee in lieu of 5W oil?

With that in mind, I present the new Mac-Monster:

Btw, I actually have a 2010 888 EVO, and while I've only had one day on it, it felt amazing. Adjustments work, no egregious brake dive (I'm 190 lbs), and more than stiff enough. :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I hate to compare things to things I see on Pinkbike, and I don't know you, so maybe you're not really like this in real life, but everything you posted in this thread just reminded me of the drivel I saw on that site the one time I tried to read their forums. The lack of real world understanding, the quick descent to name calling, the absolute knowledge that your understanding of the world is bulletproof, it's like the whole thing is just copied and pasted from the juvenile rantings on that site.

The internet is a funny place.
Hey, it's a Jersey thing..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i dunno, i guess what they teach at marketing/economic seminars and how things work for large companies is all BS then.

we do case studies on these companies for a reason, they do try to go for the best economical option, which isn't always the "cheapest", if you bothered to read what i stated, i said they are forced to do so via laws and regulations.

As hard as it is to believe to those who know nothing about this, customers are actually also requesting healthier options with the same flavour.

Fact is still, they do use a lot of money on research into having healthier options.

Stick to facts not calling BS when you got no clue what your on about :)

and again back on topic, no real experience with the new 888s ?? then how can ya comment on their performance??
Either you've been to some crap semminars or you don't really understand what was thought there.
In saturated markets like the US and Europe McDolands can't really sell much more burgers or whatever they come up next. The main way to increase profits is to cut costs. The most money they put into research goes into making their foods cheaper, some of it goes to comply with the LAWs again THE CHEAPEST POSSIBLE WAY. That is one of the reasons McDonalds is much less healthy in countries with looser food health laws.
As for consummers wanting a healthy products - let's be honest McDonalds offers only products that can be advertised as healthy but most of them is still artificialy flavored, still a lot of conservants and still will make you fat - many salads with sauce are as healthy as big macs. That has been a fact for years, documented in many studies/articles. And don't try to tell me McCustomers won't be fooled, proper marketing can fool any customer and they only want an illusion of healthyness.
Seriously, going to Mc for a salad is like going to a whore for a hug.

btw. PLEASE READ THIS as apparently you don't read my posts carefully enough. I never commented on 2010+ marz performance so stop saying I do. It disrespectfull as it shows you don't read what I write carefully just skip through it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That's a bit BS. They only put cash into research of finding the Cheapest (!!!) way to fit the norms. In every country they are pushing them. The looser the norms the less healthy mac is.
I can't speak for other countries, and I hate to get so off topic as talking about McDonalds when were supposed to be talking about suspension forks, but in America, McDonalds menu is above all the other burger joints (and most major fast food joints, including those like subway) in terms of healthy eating. And as far as food standards and quality goes, I'll be the first to admit that America doesn't have the most stringent standards in the world; be that as it may, after the subway push for "healthy eating" and getting away from burgers, McDonalds spent lots and lots of money to improve their quality, and now far surpasses all of the federal food standards in terms of meat quality/testing/inspection.

Again, maybe not high end burger restaurant quality, but certainly not a bottom of the barrel cutting corners type of place.

Now, if he had said something like taco bell he wouldn't have gotten any argument from me. Anyway, I guess the overarching point I'm trying to make is twofold: his examples sucked, and he's dead wrong on marzocchi quality and performance.

Back OT:

When I bought my boxxer team (2010) instead of a 888 evo, it came down to a few things things: weight, price, feel, and service. I haven't ridden a 888 evo - maybe it feels marginally better, I don't know. But I had ridden a 2010 boxxer team, and setup right it meets my suspension needs - its stiff, predictable, and feels pretty damn good. I know how to rebuild it, its easy to rebuild it, and I'm going on 50+ hours of shuttle since the last time I rebuilt it and its still feeling good. It is also significantly lighter and was like 40 bucks cheaper. Now, I know some people are prone to exaggeration and "OMFG this FORK IS OMFG bETTR!!!1!" whenever they try something different, and I'd be the last to say there is no room for improvement on my boxxer team, but at the end of the day, it performs really really well. Its very smooth, it tracks very well, I can make it stay where I want to in the travel, its light weight, and tuning was relatively easy once I got the hang of it (and like I said, it does exactly what I want it to).

There is a good possibility that marzocchi could make some refinements on it, and put out a fork that performs slightly better, but it is at the cost of weight, price, and how comfortable I am with the company. I wasn't really that happy with marzocchi after my 08 66rc3. They charged me alot of money to do things that should have been under warranty that they didn't end up fixing. It also meant alot more time off the bike, because it would take a week to get there, 2 weeks for them to get to it, and a week to get back. With Sram, they send me the parts if I need them, and it means I don't miss any riding time. It sounds like marzocchi has turned over a new leaf, but there is something comforting knowing that my fork works pretty much exactly how I want it to, I can count on the service that I want (if I end up needing it, which I so far haven't with my boxxer), that it weighs less, and it costs me less. My .02 cents for buying a boxxer instead of a 888evo

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Where did I bash marz? I find it silly that having a different opinion on ONE point in the topic on RM means you have different opinion on them ALL. WTF?

Seriously read my previous posts: I had 07 rc2x, liked it but it had some issues I didn't like. I would LIKE to try a new gen marz but I'm not to eager to throw money at it before I try because of the reasons I mentioned in the previous posts.

btw. Spending less time is cool but really even if I spend a whole day ie. 8h fixing my bike 3-4 times a season it's not going to kill me. Seriously it's 3-4 days a season usually it's closer to 3-4h if I want to look over everything, have a beer and pizze while doing it. Why is that a lot for some people?

As for washing too much. I have no problems with my bikes unless I crash. Apparently some people must be washing their bikes more ;)

UDI - sorry but that's not a problem for me. I'm not pretending I wouln't like to service my boxxer less often but it is not a selling point for me like it is for some of the marz fanboys. I may have explained it wrong. I just claim that if the main reason you buy one fork over another is maintanance that is lazy for me. Not wanting to maintain your bike as often is normal ;)

I apologize. Having re-read your posts you weren't bashing marz. Just as a counterpoint to your points about maintenance and upkeep; we must lead very different lifestyles. I work 50-60 hours a week, have a wife, feel like there's constantly too much to do. For me, buying a complex bike part like a fork would, in large part, be decided by reliability and "set-it-and-forget-it-ness". For me, an 8 hour period spent working on my bike means that missed a trip to the mountain. So I guess our priorities are a little different. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but for some of us, a low level of maintenance IS a big deal. I have an old 888 on my bike now (because it was on it when I bought it) and I haven't really needed to do anything to it in 2.5 seasons. Still works pretty well. If it turns out that the 2010 and onwards zoke products are reliable and offer solid performance I'll be picking one up in the future on the used market.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
people who are looking for a healthy meal aren't looking to mcdonalds
You'd be surprised. This guy I worked with last summer went on a "health kick" and got McD's smoothies in the morning and McD's salads for lunch. I wanted to put my head through my monitor. How can you eat a salad and think it's a "healthy option" when it's got a pile of fried chicken on top of it? Bewildering.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You'd be surprised. This guy I worked with last summer went on a "health kick" and got McD's smoothies in the morning and McD's salads for lunch. I wanted to put my head through my monitor. How can you eat a salad and think it's a "healthy option" when it's got a pile of fried chicken on top of it? Bewildering.
great marketing success!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So, I'm building a new DH bike and am looking at fork options. Basically what I'm hearing here is that:

1. The Fox 40, Boxxer, and 888 EVO Ti are all awesome forks that are basically leaps and bounds better than the stuff we were all hot and heavy for 5 years ago.
2. Your average rider like me will be pretty stoked with any one of them.
3. High performance parts need a little service now and then.
4. If you like to tinker you can make your awesome fork marginally better.
5. Someone in control of the internet bent the rules of the universe so that "I like this one better" now means "This one is better."

Does that about cover it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So, I'm building a new DH bike and am looking at fork options. Basically what I'm hearing here is that:

1. The Fox 40, Boxxer, and 888 EVO Ti are all awesome forks that are basically leaps and bounds better than the stuff we were all hot and heavy for 5 years ago.
2. Your average rider like me will be pretty stoked with any one of them.
3. High performance parts need a little service now and then.
4. If you like to tinker you can make your awesome fork marginally better.
5. Someone in control of the internet bent the rules of the universe so that "I like this one better" now means "This one is better."

Does that about cover it?
Yeah. Doubt you can really go too far wrong with any of them.

also: that post = /thread.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I apologize. Having re-read your posts you weren't bashing marz. Just as a counterpoint to your points about maintenance and upkeep; we must lead very different lifestyles. I work 50-60 hours a week, have a wife, feel like there's constantly too much to do. For me, buying a complex bike part like a fork would, in large part, be decided by reliability and "set-it-and-forget-it-ness". For me, an 8 hour period spent working on my bike means that missed a trip to the mountain. So I guess our priorities are a little different. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but for some of us, a low level of maintenance IS a big deal. I have an old 888 on my bike now (because it was on it when I bought it) and I haven't really needed to do anything to it in 2.5 seasons. Still works pretty well. If it turns out that the 2010 and onwards zoke products are reliable and offer solid performance I'll be picking one up in the future on the used market.
I agree. If you work a lot that is important. I'm a bit anti the no maintanance group as most of the people I go who talk about it simply don't care about their bikes but I understand where you coming from and liking marz seems reasonable. I'm a student with a lot time of my hands so that's not a problem.

As for the McArgument - it must be different in america. I've been in Mc's in Spain, Italy, France, Czech rep, Germany, Slovakia and they are far from being the healthiest fast food joint. Though still they are really unhealthy, even if a bit less than other us joints. Not having the lowest standard is far from being healthy. Though I agree you can find some unheathy food in the us you would never find in yurp to top what mc offers but maybe it was the fact I was in Florida ;)

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
This thread:

From the very first post.

A+

Would read again. Thanks for the entertainment on a slow day bros!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
"Why are people running 40's and Boxxers over 888s?"

Post #1
Post#2
Post#3
Page ?:

FORK PIT! FORK PIT! FORK PIT!

(*shoves nearest bystander/charges another tackling him into crowd*)

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I use a 2010 Boxxer Team and I've been vegetarian for 28 years so for me it's Subway for me anyday over McDonalds and Boxxer over Marzocchi.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
you go and get fast food many times.. same amount of maintenance of boxxer..they are everywhere. I see mcdonalds everywhere

with marzocchi you enjoy one time of expensive meal and plushness makes you remember of the experience in the whole life ;) I remember I saw one Ducatti bike from company with Zocchi fork and Öhlins in rear. Nice surprise for me.

I like marzocchi girls too. Where are Sram girls? They eat Mcdonalds crunch. Of course im kidding. the topic is strayed off here in the thread

Last edited: