Quantcast

Why are the 2008 Troy Lees so ugly??

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm finally ready to buy (or at least ask for - for Christmas) a TLD helmet and I got around to looking at the 2008 lineup. They're all really ugly. :twitch:

Have you guys seen them? I'm trying to decide which is the least ugly one - right now I'm leaning towards the Steve Peat b/c at least the right hand side of that one looks okay. Any thoughts?

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
I have a SE-2 Crusader in silver on the way. It was the only version of the SE-2 I liked. 2007 did have better designs. They have little to no 2007 SE-2's left.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Should I get the SE-2 instead of the D2? The price tag on the composite D2's seemed a lot more appealing but I know they're not DOT approved and all that jazz.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
i rock a d2...
motos are a bit heavier.......but doug and spazwell seem to like theres alot
I can't seem to find a lot of 07 D2's around in normal sizes. I'll probably spring for the Peat but I need to get a sticker to cover up that awful cartoon drawing of him. :plthumbsdown:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Beyond Bikes has garnered some pretty nasty reviews around the net. I've been hesitant to buy from them ever since I started riding. But they ARE the cheapest I've seen.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
We have the Chito composite and the Blue carbon in my shop and they both look 10x better in person than they do on a computer screen. I thought the same thing, I was gonna call our TLD rep and see if I could get an 07 but when he brought in the 08s they looked so good I'm gonna have to go with an 08.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
We have the Chito composite and the Blue carbon in my shop and they both look 10x better in person than they do on a computer screen. I thought the same thing, I was gonna call our TLD rep and see if I could get an 07 but when he brought in the 08s they looked so good I'm gonna have to go with an 08.
I like that blue chito one.
And if you want something more plain, the phobia is cool.
But those carbons ones cost.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Beyond Bikes has garnered some pretty nasty reviews around the net. I've been hesitant to buy from them ever since I started riding. But they ARE the cheapest I've seen.
I've never had a single issue with Beyond Bikes thus the recommendation.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've never had a single issue with Beyond Bikes thus the recommendation.

That's cool...I've never ordered from them so I have no idea how their service is 1st hand. I just remember reading more than one nasty thread about them on mtbr.

I'm glad to hear they look better in real life though. :monkeydance:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've actually got a 661 carbon now and it's got a little crack in it. Plus I've heard a thousand times that every other helmet feels like you "put a turd on your head" after you've worn a TLD.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I've actually got a 661 carbon now and it's got a little crack in it. Plus I've heard a thousand times that every other helmet feels like you "put a turd on your head" after you've worn a TLD.
True dat yo.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I like that blue chito one.
And if you want something more plain, the phobia is cool.
But those carbons ones cost.
Yea we have the Blue Chito, I'm considering buying it. But I've also considered getting the 08 661 Full bravo in the White/carbon. It looks hot in the catolouge but I haven't seen any in person.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Yeah, get a 661! This one has a pretty simple toned down design & exceeds DOT safety standards:
I would recommend going to try on a 661 before purchasing. I personally did not like the fit and construction compared to all the other MX helmets I have worn. The face guard was too close to my mouth. I could practically touch it by extending my jaw.

riddle me this? why would you need a DOT standard helmet for MTB'ing? I'm getting a full face when i get home also so it would be good info to know.
Hight level of safety and better testing when compared to CPSC standards. The same standards applied to your walmart "bell" helmets is applied to the lid you use to keep your head safe while riding DH. MX helmets also offer a lot of bang for the buck. You typically get a bag, extra hardware, extra visors, and random other stuff. Also the "skirt" of a MX helmet comes farther down your head and neck offering greater protection while also making it so that you can use a Leatt Brace or some other neck brace/protection.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
riddle me this? why would you need a DOT standard helmet for MTB'ing? I'm getting a full face when i get home also so it would be good info to know.
It just depends on how fast you go and how often you crash. I push myself pretty hard on rough terrain, so I hit the ground more than the average DHer. I use to wear TLD D2s and I really liked them, but I tried a moto (DOT) for awhile and its so MUCH more comfortable during a crash. There is so much more padding. Sometimes I don't even know that I've hit my head until I check my helmet and find scratch.

Some people benefit from motos, some don't. Look at the terrain you ride most, how fast you go, and your potential for crashing. Most in the SE are served well by a mtb helmet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can I make a suggestion? If you think the '08's are ugly, you should get this 2007 model:

Since your style is low profile, but high tech, I'd think you'd have already ordered this one. And the carbon weave on it is so bad ass. Very subtle graphics. Oh...and I'd like to thank Pricepoint for making the visor look like a toolshed!

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
It just depends on how fast you go and how often you crash. I push myself pretty hard on rough terrain, so I hit the ground more than the average DHer. I use to wear TLD D2s and I really liked them, but I tried a moto (DOT) for awhile and its so MUCH more comfortable during a crash. There is so much more padding. Sometimes I don't even know that I've hit my head until I check my helmet and find scratch.
Good point. MX helmet does have substantially more padding. My new SE-2 has a kick ass liner inside of it, sooooo comfy.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Since your style is low profile, but high tech, I'd think you'd have already ordered this one. And the carbon weave on it is so bad ass. Very subtle graphics. Oh...and I'd like to thank Pricepoint for making the visor look like a toolshed!
:rofl: Ya damn right my style is high tech!

I know I LOOK like a million bucks but that I don't know that I can justify the cost difference between that and the composite when the weight difference is so minimal and the composite I hear is potentially stronger.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
:rofl: Ya damn right my style is high tech!

I know I LOOK like a million bucks but that I don't know that I can justify the cost difference between that and the composite when the weight difference is so minimal and the composite I hear is potentially stronger.
carbon is stronger. would you ride a composite handlebar or a carbon one?

If you are considering a moto helmet or at least want to see the difference you should be able to go check them out a dealership some what close to your house. Motocross is huge and unless you live in a bloody cave there should be stocking dealers in your town(especialy FOX). Check the websites of the company you are considering and see if they have dealers close if so give them a call to see if they have that model and check it out. I know DH helmets are a little harder to come by in your local bike shop sometimes. Like Doug said depends on who you are and what you ride but I personally feel with weights of moto helmets coming down and courses that are never short of rock gardens and road gaps I think it is a inteligent choice. I am not going to debate saftey standards but the comfort inside a motocross helmet and a DH helmet is like comparing the comfort of a lazy boy and a folding chair.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
they all are carbon and composite the ratios are just different....
more carbon= a lighter helmet
less carbon = a heavier helmet
take your pick, no real advantage to a carbon lid its just more BALLA!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
BALLA fo LiFE!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, both of the D2's are made out of carbon and composite.
There is only like a 20% difference in the ratio.
I don't care either way.
My bashguard is made out of composite and it holds up.
If I hit my head any harder than I have hit my bashguard,
I'd be rocking out a drool bib anyway.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
How could I get anything else with a review like that? :busted:

Moto hemets are definitely cool for strictly DH but a lot of my descents involve a nice climb beforehand and the thought of having a moto helmet strapped to my back is unappealing.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Moto hemets are definitely cool for strictly DH but a lot of my descents involve a nice climb beforehand and the thought of having a moto helmet strapped to my back is unappealing.
Carbon TLD 2 is noticeably lighter on your head than the numbers indicate.
Not that the Composite is heavy. Just saying if I am doing xc type stuff,
I am glad I have the carbon. They can take a damn hard lickin'
I can still say I'd rather get into a crash on a bike with a Moto helmet though!

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Hight level of safety and better testing when compared to CPSC standards. The same standards applied to your walmart "bell" helmets is applied to the lid you use to keep your head safe while riding DH. MX helmets also offer a lot of bang for the buck. You typically get a bag, extra hardware, extra visors, and random other stuff. Also the "skirt" of a MX helmet comes farther down your head and neck offering greater protection while also making it so that you can use a Leatt Brace or some other neck brace/protection.
thanks guys!! looks like I missed out on all this busy due to some action over here in the sand box! So what i'm getting out of all of this is i can go to my motorcycle shop and pick up a helmet there also??