Quantcast

why are tires so freakin tight

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i just broke 3 tire levers, scratched up my rim and kept ripping wholes in the tube trying to get it back on

tried soap and water too

wtf

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Still Sun rims.

They seem to have the shallowest well of rim manufacturers which makes tires super tight to put on.

Make sure the bead is pinched together and as far in the rim as you can get it around the opposite side of where you are trying to put it over the rim.

I wear long fingered gloves or mechanics gloves to work the bead over as much as I can.

If I have to resort to levers I just use them to lift the bead and press it over with my other hand to prevent pinching the tube and putting holes in it. Don't use the lever to pry the bead over the side of the rim. Just lift and push hard a couple inches over.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I know it sounds like a cop-out, but think about switching to Kevlar beaded tires, preferably broken-in.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
i just broke 3 tire levers, scratched up my rim and kept ripping wholes in the tube trying to get it back on

tried soap and water too

wtf
WTF?

Operator error wimpy. You have to use your brain and muscles. Obviously you have neither. Don't make me show you how it is done.

wimpy

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
my mechanic uses these ($4). seems like a way better design since you dont pry with them. you hold them vertical, hook the tire, lift up and pop the tire off it, up over the rim, with your thumb.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
broke a tire lever today trying to mount up some heavily studded Nokian Gazzy-G's on my 823's. I blame it on the cold. Took bringing them inside to get the bead to seat even with 60psi.

By far the heaviest wheel-tire combo I've ever held. 823's + Hadleys + Nokain Gazzy-G+ Hundreds of SelfTapping Sheetmetal screws+ heavy as **** DH tubes + Duct tape covering screw heads from inside. Oh well, i'll have traction for the snow race at Blue Mt. on Saturday!

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
you have no idea. try putting geax or a sun add! i went out and bought a set of park tool levers just because of it! nothing compared to my 823's and minnions.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have a hard time putting on tires too. I have Azonic Outlaws with Maxxix DH tires. I always use metal Park Tool tire levers. I hate those plastic ones. They work one time before they bend or break.
My XC setup is hard to put on too. Azonic Outlaws with Kenda Tubeless tires.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Your hands must be way stronger than mine. That must mean you spend WAY more time alone than I do.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
These tire levers kick ass,

I've mounted many a tire on Rhyno-Lites and 5.1d's and have yet to break one, I have broken every other plastic lever I have used at least once