Quantcast

Why are trucks so dang expensive?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Seriously...? I'm looking for a used truck, preferably with little rust, 4wd, and hopefully with some ammenities such as cruise control. First off, these suckers are hard to find, and when I do, people jack up the price by almost 100%.

Honestly, Kelly blue book is supposed to be a guideline, then you subtract for various negatives, right? Like too much rust, a leaky something, no options, broken whoodydoo, you know. I looked at a POS toyota that the guy wanted $3000 for because of a suspension lift he didn't do. He had vice grips for the inside door handle. Another guy wanted 2500 for his GMC with no exhaust, limited options, and nothing left of what should be rocker panels. Now I'm looking at a ford f350 diesel that the guys claims he wants "fair market price" for, but is already up to 3500 (on the bay) and KBB is 3800 for an excellent condition truck, whereas this one is pretty much good. What gives?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Its called the law of "Supply versus demand" is why trucks are expensive, everybody wants them, new trucks are expensive, and t most trucks hold their resale fairly well. a battered truck has a much higher resale than a cleaner car due to the fact in can be used as a work vehicle, and generate income.

another approach to your dilemma might be to take a road trip out of your area. to a more farm rural area where the used truck selection will be larger therefore driving the prices a little lower.
where I live I can find clean used trucks all day in the 3k range(sure their probally over 10 years old) but there lots of nice used trucks available, but then again 1 out of every vehicle on the road here is a truck.....

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
its all market. in kamloops everyone has trucks everyone needs trucks and their all 4x4, for the most part all of them are loaded, and if a diesel is an option it has it. and their all expencive used.

Toyotas have always had High resales, especialy 4x4s with any lift,tires or other 4x4 accesories (winchs,roll bar) depending on the body (toys rust bad) and the fact that pre 1985 4x4s had a more desirealbe solid front axel just drives the price of the trucks up, also with gas prices where they are, compacts are in demand and are becoming priced acordinly.

domestic trucks as far as resale are so close that brand loyaltiy is the only diffrence, mainly what I have noticed is that due to fuel costs fullsizes with V8s and 4x4 have come down in price big time.any ting with the big gas hungy 454, or the V-10 have lost alot (some times thousands) verses the days of cheaper fuel. Deisels hold their value in canada a diesel engine plus the tranny adds about $8000 to the window sticker of a new truck. in my searchs for a used fullsize I have found that if you take 2 near identical trucks one with a V8 gas the other with the diesel, the diesel is on avereage $5000 more.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
older Toyotas will be priced at a premium due to the solid front axle.

like munkeehucker, i can find cheap used trucks all day long at home. but, i'd say almost every family owns at least 1 truck. there are 4 in my family of three (mom, dad, me), not including dad's work truck.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want to find an 88'-'01 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 ex cab, short bed. I am still not dure on the year though.

I want to do a 4" rancho lift in front and get alcan leaves in the back w/ rancho rs9000 x shocks w/ in cab adjuster/air compresser. I want to get 33" procomp AT tires on American Racing mojave teflon wheels.

I am going to do offroad/bike trips w/ friends in the desert. I'm going to film stuff then make videos.

I'm going to do trails, very light rocks, mud - all around mild offroading.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
MunkeeHucker said:
Its called the law of "Supply versus demand" is

well fine, but why does kbb have such low values for these trucks?

Why does a 6" lift and 35" tires add $1000 to the value of the truck? The tires are no more expensive than good all seasons, maybe $20 a tire, and the lift is a one-time only cost that can't be more than 4-600$. Plus, it's several years old. There's no way that it's justified.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mtnbrider said:
I want to find an 88'-'01 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 ex cab, short bed. I am still not dure on the year though.

I want to do a 4" rancho lift in front and get alcan leaves in the back w/ rancho rs9000 x shocks w/ in cab adjuster/air compresser. I want to get 33" procomp AT tires on American Racing mojave teflon wheels.

I am going to do offroad/bike trips w/ friends in the desert. I'm going to film stuff then make videos.

I'm going to do trails, very light rocks, mud - all around mild offroading.

mmk. I figure you can't get a good condition truck (stock) like that for less than $3500. Rather $4000, even for an 88. Around here, I'd expect a butt ton of rust and no options for less than $3000.

I live in a suburban area that borders rural on 3 sides (syracuse is the other), so there are plenty of trucks, they're all just priced high.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Trucks are expensive because they know that men with small Penii will spare no expense to have it enlarged.

:monkey:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Sandwich said:
well fine, but why does kbb have such low values for these trucks?

Why does a 6" lift and 35" tires add $1000 to the value of the truck? The tires are no more expensive than good all seasons, maybe $20 a tire, and the lift is a one-time only cost that can't be more than 4-600$. Plus, it's several years old. There's no way that it's justified.
KBB is a national average, your region is obviously above average.

As for lift and tires costing more it's all perceived value, if someone pays the asking price then it's justified if no one pays the price, price comes down.

here is a thought, buy yourself a cheap airline ticket to, Texas, Arkansas or Oklahoma, find a RM to hook up with and you can find a deal on a truck, well within your budget with little to no rust, and have the experience of a cross country road trip to boot.....

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Here is a small sample of what I found in the local paper today.

CHEVROLET 1994 1500 Work Truck. V6. Automatic. Runs Great. $2,500. 501-744-3947
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHEVROLET 1993 S-10, Dark green, 4.3L, Auto, A/C, Excellent condition, 60k., $3,500. 501-362-3305
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHEVROLET 1993 Full size Pickup, chrome whls., bed rails, Nerf bars, tint win. $3,800. 501-882-7758
CHEVROLET 1993 Silverado extended cab, red, 350 engine, great condition. $4,000. 501-231-1127
CHEVROLET 1991 3/4 Ton. Long Bed. Auto. Air. 350 Engine. Clean . Runs Great. $3,500. 870-246-5937
CHEVROLET 1991 S-10, $550. Chevrolet 1967 LWB $450. Call for details at 870-948-2340
CHEVROLET 1990 3/4 ton Silverado. Ext. cab. LWB. $2,800.
Call 501-455-2261.
CHEVROLET 1989 S10. 4-cyl. 5-spd. Reg. cab. 160K. $1,500. obo
Call 501-425-4997 Anytime.
CHEVROLET 1989 1500, new motor, but not running. $1,000. Call 501-744-6486
CHEVROLET 1989 Silverado, 350, long wheel base, great truck, $2,000 firm. Call 501-261-1992
CHEVROLET 1986 Scottsdale, lwb, 350, turbo 400 with shift kit, built for hauling, $2,500. 501-316-2252

There are tons of trucks here!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
0 of those say no rust, and 2 have ac. One isn't even running.

Trust me, I have three pages of classifieds for trucks only, of every make, and I have two other classified SECTIONS to look through. There are plenty of trucks to look at.

It's just that each one i see is overvalued by $1000, and call me ignorant, but I can't understand why. Must be a truck thing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Really? I got some specs on some 35x12.5s and they were like 180. I paid 270 installed for some all season dunlops on my starion. That's not incredibly far off.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Tenchiro said:
Trucks are expensive because they know that men with small Penii will spare no expense to have it enlarged.

:monkey:
Guys with short man's complex do love their big trucks. It's always fun to watch them try to get in...

Sandwich said:
0 of those say no rust, and 2 have ac. One isn't even running.

Trust me, I have three pages of classifieds for trucks only, of every make, and I have two other classified SECTIONS to look through. There are plenty of trucks to look at.

It's just that each one i see is overvalued by $1000, and call me ignorant, but I can't understand why. Must be a truck thing.
Well, find one that fits your desired requirements, show up with cash in hand and say "take it or leave it." Simple as that. Ca$h talks bro. If they don't bite, well move on to the next..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
i drive a lowered car. what does that make me? :think:
whatever we damn well want to think.

mostly some super-busy highpowered med school student who had the brain seize to sell all his bikes so he could play autocross