Quantcast

Why brown bears make bad pets...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Basically, it's all about how big your back yard is...

GOLDEN, B.C. — Boo the bear has a taste for freedom that apparently wasn't satisfied the first time he broke out of his man-made den at a B.C. resort in search of a girlfriend.
Just a day after his first, two-week romp in the wild ended with a tranquillizer dart and a helicopter ride, the grizzly pulled an even greater escape.

Sometime on the weekend, the bear smashed his way through a massive locked door and three fences at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort near Golden, the Calgary Herald reported Tuesday.
"Boo is out again. It's unbelievable," said Michael Dalzell, spokesman for Kicking Horse. "We thought there was no way. It was absolutely impossible, but he found a way. It was basically like breaking out of Fort Knox."

This time, Boo outdid himself — putting to shame his first bid for freedom when he dug under a fence and into the paws of a sow.
This time, he smashed his way through a 180-kilogram steel door, barrelled through two electric fences and then scrambled over a 3.6-metre fence reinforced with 60 centimetres of steel below ground.

Article here...

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
damn, that bear must have been horny as fudge if he did all that.
the moral of the story, girls are evil, they make you do stupid stuff.

good find

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BurlyShirley said:
You're thinking of a black bear. A brown and a grizzly are the same, no?
That I didn't know. I've never heard of a grizzly referred to as anything but.

I was indeed thinking of a black bear. My cousin got his tent ripped apart by one once. He got all pissy when we asked him if he soiled himself...so we assumed that meant that he did.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skookum said:
Does it make it more confusing that Black Bear can be brown too?

Kelowna.

Black bears can be brown and brown bears can actually be blond. Screw picnic baskets we need to keep those critters out of the hair dye.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
it s over in my book ss... we did some riding in september last year up at solden glacier in austria... fun, but i m more of a mid winter rider...

that said, i would have taken kidwoo up on his offer of mammoth riding this weekend if i wasn t in korea...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
BurlyShirley said:
You're thinking of a black bear. A brown and a grizzly are the same, no?
Yep. Ursus arctos.

"Grizzly" is basically just a large brown bear. Just like the Kodiak. Technically, they're called 'sub-species' but that's like Great Danes and Schnauzers are both dogs...

I can't say if a Blond Bear has more fun, but it's likely to get more attention...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Nobody said:
Yep. Ursus arctos.

"Grizzly" is basically just a large brown bear. Just like the Kodiak. Technically, they're called 'sub-species' but that's like Great Danes and Schnauzers are both dogs...

I can't say if a Blond Bear has more fun, but it's likely to get more attention...
Actually, Im pretty sure it's argued that Kodiak's are a subspecies, but that grizzlies are generally recognized as regular brown bears, only they're bigger because they live in coastal areas and have access to salmon. The grow bigger because of a more plentiful food supply, but are the same.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Keeping a grizzly in captivity is moronic.

I did see a big brown colored black bear last night riding. He was startled but stayed put until my friend and I got close. Then there was that whole staredown thing. I usually throw rocks at them and try to spook them away but this one looked like he might have retaliated.

I've seen a few grizzlies in montana but I NEVER want to see a kodiak. Those things are mutants.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I heard this story on the radio this morning. They said that the bear was scheduled to be neutered. I'd probably try to bust out, too.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cuz for no reason they will eat your freekin head off! Thats why. Think about that the next time you go camping and hear one rummaging through your campsite.