Quantcast

Why can't someone with a 12mm TA axle make a saint style setup?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have been thinking.....

The saint rear derail. mounts to the axle. Meaning the axle must be longer then you're regular 135mm QR lenght. I know a 12mm TA axle isn't much more then what it says. 12mm diameter x 135mm lenght.

So what if somehow..........you took a 150mm TA axle and put it through, had a custom drop brakcet made to make a XT derailuer mount up like a saint, and bolt it on?

The saint derailuer looks like a XT (or whatever short cage) rear derailuer with the addition of a drop bracket to give it the correct chainline and spacing that it needs. For some reason with all the monkey's on here it doesn't seem like making an adapter of some kind would be too difficult. That way instead of bending your dropout you can bend the axle. Though I dunno how easy it is to bend a 12mm dropout.

Just wondering if someone has already thought of this. It looks like if you had some sort of a drop bracket it might work to mount a regular derailuer to the axle giving the strength of the Saint stuff without buying their specially marketed products.

Just an idea out in the air

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wish Saint was 12mm or at least an option (like make a 10mm AND a 12mm version). That way you didn't have to use the Saint hub.

Maybe I can make a step down bracket that converts my 12mm to have a 10mm Saint mount...

I will have to look at that this weekend, very interesting.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It doesn't seem all that difficult to do if you thought about it.

Take a look at a saint rear derailuer and a normal one. That is all that looks like is a drop down bracket but molded/built onto the saint derailuer.

I was thinking of figuring out how much drop and bend needs to go into it. It can be a thick piece of aluminum and one end is threaded for the derailuer and the other end just hollow for the TA axle. I figured some :monkey: on here can figure this out.

It'd be nice because anyone with any axle length and spacing could benifit from this. Anyone with a TA axle could as well.

We'll see what comes from all this.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
doesnt davinci have a 12 mm saint axle? I swaer i read that. a 12 x 150mm hub with a special conversion axle. Look for it....... im sure its out there....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hadley has a conversion axle. and are working on others for other bikes...

J

J5ive

sorry to bump this old thread- but does hadley have a website? If so- whats the address?

J

J5ive

Does anyone have anymore info about this adapter then>? Or an online shop where I can buy one?

J

J5ive

By the way- my thoughts for the saint axel mod.

Why not just make a thru axel that steps down to 10mm and is threaded at the end? the deraileur would pull the whole lot together? You might need a washer so its got something flat to sit against?

Whats stopping it from it being this easy?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by oly
doesnt davinci have a 12 mm saint axle? I swaer i read that. a 12 x 150mm hub with a special conversion axle. Look for it....... im sure its out there....
Originally posted by J5ive
Why not just make a thru axel that steps down to 10mm and is threaded at the end? the deraileur would pull the whole lot together? You might need a washer so its got something flat to sit against?
I'm pretty sure that's what the set-up on the Devinci Ollie is like.

-ska todd

Sep 10, 2001
I know someone who has already made this type of set up... But the dropouts on his Demo 9 were to thick to work with the Saint derailure... It only took him a couple of hours on the lathe to turn it out...

Brian

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Originally posted by jimmydean
I wish Saint was 12mm or at least an option (like make a 10mm AND a 12mm version). That way you didn't have to use the Saint hub.

Maybe I can make a step down bracket that converts my 12mm to have a 10mm Saint mount...

I will have to look at that this weekend, very interesting.
The question here should be why can't Shimano play with the other kids on the block.

All we ever asked was for Shimano to build a beefier rear deraillar and what do we get. A cool changer that only works with their hub, a hub that only accepts their brakes, brakes that only work with their shifters, and a crankset... oh for get it you know what I mean. Crap all I wanted was the deraillar!!! Now I run SRAM XO and I love it. Also I can run any brake hub combo I want.

Sep 10, 2001
Actually, from what I see, the Saint derailure could work with most frames if the dropouts aren't too think and you make the right axle. It is not dependent on the hub in any way..... I could probably have an axle made that would allow me to run a Saint derailure with my Hugi hub on my bike....

Brian

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by dhtahoe
The question here should be why can't Shimano play with the other kids on the block.

All we ever asked was for Shimano to build a beefier rear deraillar and what do we get. A cool changer that only works with their hub, a hub that only accepts their brakes, brakes that only work with their shifters, and a crankset... oh for get it you know what I mean. Crap all I wanted was the deraillar!!! Now I run SRAM XO and I love it. Also I can run any brake hub combo I want.
...This isn't true at all. The only two Saint products that NEED to be used together are their hub and their disc. You can't mount that disc on any other hub.

The rear mech can be run with a Hadley or Hugi (or any other 10mm thru-axle for that matter).

The rotors are a standard size, so any caliper can be used with them. But like ALL calipers, the appropriate lever needs to be used with it. And this doesn't mean that you need to run dual control. Older XT levers will work.

The cranks aren't dependant on any other component except for their bb, but that seems to be the case with all outboard bearing BBs (see raceface).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Can't believe it sounds like I'm defending shimano, but you can use pretty much any disc that takes 203 mm rotors (hayes, other shimano, etc) with the Saint hubs and rotors, and you can use other 203 mm rotors with the saint brakes, so you don't really need their hubs. A buddy of mine is using King Hubs, Hayes 203mm rotors, and Saint brakes. Friggin' sweet.

And you can use other shimano compatible shifters, not sure what you meant about needing the brakes and shifters to be the same.

And you can use any crankset, or use the Saint crank with other stuff.

But still, I agree, they should also offer a Saint or other burly rear der that works with a standard hanger.

Shimano: love/hate for sure.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by goin' medium
I still want one of those overbuilt indestructable tanks known as the Banshee Scream... I was looking at their website today, and they give you a Saint compatible 12mm 150mm long axel with your Scream for free! Banshees rock.

http://www.bansheebikes.com/bike-scream.html
I personally am not a fan of Banshee bikes, but that's a cool thing for them to offer. Shimano wants $53 for an axle! If you offer a derailleur hanger, why not offer an axle.