Quantcast

Why did the Ipod Revolutionize the world? How did Apple do it?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MP3 Players have been around for a long, long time. My girlfriend still has one that is HUGE and only holds 16 megs, and that was top of the line like 6 years ago. (maybe longer) There are PLENTY of other companies out there that make MP3 Players, how did Apple become so popular with the iPod? Is it just advertising? The black figures with the white earphone lines?

I mean, they are not the best MP3 players out there, but they certainly are the most sold. 6.5 million this quarter.

What is it about Apple? are they just THAT good at advertising?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they successfully turned it into a lifestyle accessory, which has the cachet of being "cool".

however cool the machine may be, if yr listening to def leppard, gloria estefan, bob seger, or ratt, your music still sucks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
i was surprised to not see any reference to Toshi or Transcend in the wikipedia entry. :D
seriously tho, products like the iPod need evangelists. it caught my eye at an early stage (i bought a 1G 4 months after intro, for half off i might add), and i'm well connected in the sense that my identity is plastered all over the web, i run two email lists, etc. multiply me by a hundred thousand early adopters and then everyone has a nerd friend who has that cool, new device... assuming it works well enough that said nerd is happy with it then it takes off.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
seriously tho, products like the iPod need evangelists. it caught my eye at an early stage (i bought a 1G 4 months after intro, for half off i might add), and i'm well connected in the sense that my identity is plastered all over the web, i run two email lists, etc. multiply me by a hundred thousand early adopters and then everyone has a nerd friend who has that cool, new device... assuming it works well enough that said nerd is happy with it then it takes off.
But why choose to champion an inferior product?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
disclaimer - I do not even own an Ipod or any portable MP3 player for that matter..

Ciaran said:
But why choose to champion an inferior product?
Thats what you dont get. Its not an inferior product. It maybe technically inferior to other players in SOME manor. However a products success is inevitably measured by its profitability.

It works well, there are plenty of resources out there to help you get it to work well for you, they are "cool" your friends have them, they arent that expensive, apple does a good job marketing and distribuiting them. bla bla bla bla... All those (and many more objective and subjective criteria) are what make the IPod a superior product to other stuff out there.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BigMike said:
MP3 Players have been around for a long, long time. My girlfriend still has one that is HUGE and only holds 16 megs, and that was top of the line like 6 years ago. (maybe longer) There are PLENTY of other companies out there that make MP3 Players, how did Apple become so popular with the iPod? Is it just advertising? The black figures with the white earphone lines?

I mean, they are not the best MP3 players out there, but they certainly are the most sold. 6.5 million this quarter.

What is it about Apple? are they just THAT good at advertising?
Ahem.

Dead horse, BUT....

It's trendy. That's ALL. I like my nomad MUCH more than any Ipod I've ever touched. That, and I have such an intense hatred of Apple in general.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
riderx said:
1) big and ugly
2) i'm going out a limb here, and saying that iTunes is better than any proprietary software sony makes you use to organize music
3) did i mention big and ugly?
4) no mac support.

to stave off the ghost of syadasti: