Quantcast

Why did we go to war against Iraq?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
Time will tell.
How much time? It's been 4 years and there are a lot more terrorists than there were back then. If the trend continues, we will all be terrorists by 2010.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Question: If Bush doesn't govern by, or care about the polls as he has so often said, why is he running around the country trying to 'shore up support' for his policies in Iraq now that 57% oppose him?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
N8 said:
boat
Pronunciation: 'bOt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English boot, from Old English bAt; akin to Old Norse beit boat

1: a hole in the water into which man pours money
Iraq
1. A bottomless hole in the middle east the US pours money into.
2. A car by chevrolet used to cruise Walmart parking lots in the south e.g. "Hey, couter lets go crusing the walmart lot in my Iraq"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think if we were going to remove Saddam Hussein we would have had to go all the way to Baghdad, we would have to commit a lot of force... then we'd have had to put another government in its place. It would have been a mistake for us te get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq-Dick Cheney
The man spoke the truth.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Truth! But his figure is low!
According to a UNICEF report at the end of 2003, more than 3 1/2 million children had been immunized.

School Attendance is up 80%-Truth!
Again, according to an April, 2004 report from UNICEF, school attendance in Iraq increased by 60 percent shortly after the war to more than 95 percent during the recent national exam week.

More than 1,500 schools renovated-Truth!
UNICEF says that as of April, 2004, more than 2,500 schools have been renovated with the goal of 4,000 being completed by the end of the year, but 10,000 more need repair.

The Port of Uhm Qasar [sic] renovated so grain can be offloaded faster-Truth!
In a November, 2003 interview on National Public Radio, Andrew Natsios of the U.S. Agency for International Development said that the port at Umm Qasar, Iraq's largest, is modern and functioning for the first time in 20 years.An interim constitution has been signed-Truth!
On March 8, 2004, an interim constitution that defines Iraq as being "federal, democratic and pluralist" was signed by members of the Iraqi Governing Council.

Girls are allowed to attend school-Truth! But Misleading!
A quick read of Sgt. Reynolds' report would leave the impression that Iraqi girls are able to attend school for the first time because of the invasion.
According to Human Rights Watch, Iraqi girls and women have enjoyed comparatively more rights than in some of the other countries of the Middle East.
The Iraqi Constitution of 1970 included women's rights for voting, attending school, owning property, and running for office.
Still, the status of women in Iraq has not always been the best because of other cultural and economic factors such as the aftermath of the 1991 war and economic sanctions.
School attendance for girls has not been prohibited although more boys than girls have been enrolled, especially in rural areas.

Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs-Truth!
Not only are U.S. soldiers demonstrating field sanitation and hand washing, but UNICEF is conducting an active health education program to improve personal hygiene and promote more hand washing.

Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years-Truth!
According to published reports, a team of U.S. appointed Iraqi educators combed through more than 500 Iraqi textbooks and removed every mention of Saddam Hussein and the Baath
party including pictures.
The texts will probably be revised by the Iraqis at some point in the future, but the pre-war texts were dominated with Saddam H
All of the hospitals operating-Truth!
Because of disrepair and looting, it took a lot of work to get hospitals back up to speed but according to James Haverman, the Coalition Provisional Authority Senior Advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Health, all 240 hospitals in Iraq as well as 2400 primary health care clinics were operating as of December, 2003.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Not sure what your point is, but I can guess. My counterpoint can be found in the bolded test below.
Heath Sherratt said:
Truth! But his figure is low!
According to a UNICEF report at the end of 2003, more than 3 1/2 million children had been immunized.

School Attendance is up 80%-Truth!
Again, according to an April, 2004 report from UNICEF, school attendance in Iraq increased by 60 percent shortly after the war to more than 95 percent during the recent national exam week.

More than 1,500 schools renovated-Truth!
UNICEF says that as of April, 2004, more than 2,500 schools have been renovated with the goal of 4,000 being completed by the end of the year, but 10,000 more need repair.

The Port of Uhm Qasar [sic] renovated so grain can be offloaded faster-Truth!
In a November, 2003 interview on National Public Radio, Andrew Natsios of the U.S. Agency for International Development said that the port at Umm Qasar, Iraq's largest, is modern and functioning for the first time in 20 years.An interim constitution has been signed-Truth!
On March 8, 2004, an interim constitution that defines Iraq as being "federal, democratic and pluralist" was signed by members of the Iraqi Governing Council. [YOU MAY WANT TO THINK CRITICALLY ABOUT THIS ONE, GIVEN THE RECENT CONSTITUTION ISSUES]

Girls are allowed to attend school-Truth! But Misleading!
A quick read of Sgt. Reynolds' report would leave the impression that Iraqi girls are able to attend school for the first time because of the invasion.
According to Human Rights Watch, Iraqi girls and women have enjoyed comparatively more rights than in some of the other countries of the Middle East.
The Iraqi Constitution of 1970 included women's rights for voting, attending school, owning property, and running for office.

Still, the status of women in Iraq has not always been the best because of other cultural and economic factors such as the aftermath of the 1991 war and economic sanctions.
School attendance for girls has not been prohibited although more boys than girls have been enrolled, especially in rural areas.

Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs-Truth!
Not only are U.S. soldiers demonstrating field sanitation and hand washing, but UNICEF is conducting an active health education program to improve personal hygiene and promote more hand washing.

Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years-Truth!
According to published reports, a team of U.S. appointed Iraqi educators combed through more than 500 Iraqi textbooks and removed every mention of Saddam Hussein and the Baath
party including pictures.
[UMM, DO WE REALLY THINK REMOVING EVERY MENTION OF SADDAM IS A GOOD THING? HELLO MEMORY HOLE]
The texts will probably be revised by the Iraqis at some point in the future, but the pre-war texts were dominated with Saddam H
All of the hospitals operating-Truth!
Because of disrepair and looting, it took a lot of work to get hospitals back up to speed but according to James Haverman, the Coalition Provisional Authority Senior Advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Health, all 240 hospitals in Iraq as well as 2400 primary health care clinics were operating as of December, 2003.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Focus on what you want to see...that is my point. Truth is what it is. it stands alone. What you focus on decides your direction in life, just like in riding. If you focus on tree, you get tree.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Heath Sherratt said:
Focus on what you want to see...that is my point. Truth is what it is. it stands alone. What you focus on decides your direction in life, just like in riding. If you focus on tree, you get tree.
Focusing on the trail doesn't make the tree disappear.

That's a terrible analogy, by the way. Why would anyone choose to put blinders on just to make their world easier to live in than if they faced reality? Well, I guess I know why, but I don't have a lot of respect for it.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
ohio said:
Focusing on the trail doesn't make the tree disappear.

That's a terrible analogy, by the way. Why would anyone choose to put blinders on just to make their world easier to live in than if they faced reality? Well, I guess I know why, but I don't have a lot of respect for it.
Are you going to ignore what i am really saying? Do you look at the trees when you are flying down single track? or even putting down it? You cannot grasp this basic analogy? No one said the tree dissapears, it's merely a metaphor to explain your narrow view. It's actually pointing out that you are so focused on one tiny part of this picture that you don't recognize the whole thing when it is shown to you. Sometimes blinders are a good thing...ever been to Vegas? Horses use blinders to help them stay on task and not be distracted by things. They are FOCUSED on finishing their tasks. That's exactly what the U.S. needs to do, finish the task at hand and get out of IRAQ. With all this horse puckey and negativity being flung around it is amazing we can get anything done.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Heath Sherratt said:
Truth! ...or is it?
If positive things are happening, good. But I have serious doubts about any and all of these "Truth!"'s. What is the bar? After the war ... and all the crap we destroyed? Pre-war ... and all the havoc our policies have caused? Or most accurately, Pre-GulfWar 1? If they are not based on Iraq prior to the first Gulf War, then they are complete and total BS. Just my not so humble opinion.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
valve bouncer said:
See what the Iraqis have to say. Remember they have to live there.
http://vitw.org/archives/174
What the hell does it matter what the Iraquis think?
Bush is such a do gooder that hes gonna "help" them anyways.
Anyone else notice how much money is being made from the war while helping these people? Sure its costs a lot of taxmoney but companys related to the Bush administration are making billions of dollars out of this war.
Ever hear of the Carlyle group maybee?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3995.htm

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I might of missed something from reading all these threads and posts but I still haven't read why Iraq had to be 'liberated' in the first place. Their people are oppressed...etc etc etc...so is half the planet!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ChrisRobin said:
I might of missed something from reading all these threads and posts but I still haven't read why Iraq had to be 'liberated' in the first place. Their people are oppressed...etc etc etc...so is half the planet!
There are many reasons why we invaded. And they keep changing as the last reason gets invalidated less the administration admits they ****ed up or explains some hidden reason they have yet released.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
You guys should listen to Heath Sherrat, Bush knows a lot more then us mortals and the people dont need to know these secret reasons behind the war for we are probably to stupid to understand...
This discussion is neverending because no matter how many evidence and valid points you bring the table there will allways be ignorant people who will support Bush.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Less and less. His popularity continues to decend, but apparantly still over 100 million people have their heads up their asses.