Quantcast

Why do BMX bikes...

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
depends what you are using the bike for is guess (racing, dirt, street). v-brakes are used in racing. street still uses 990 style brakes. when set up right they can work well enough. i guess they are an evolution from the old side-pull u-brakes that mounted/pivoted on one center bolt. i think v-brakes would be more prone to damage on a street bike and they won't work with gyros because they have more cable pull. as for the rear-only, you really don't need much more. especially for racing where kids usually start. a kid might not realize that grabbing too much front brake will send you on your face. that and having just one brake simplifies the bike even more.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
... and U-brakes are smaller and fit into tight areas around the chainstays easier the V-brakes.

Also, the dual cable U-brakes are easier to set-up with a gyro.

When crashing, you want as few sharp, pointy things sticking out of the bike as possible.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Race bikes have only rear brakes cause basically you never use them, the corners have high berms where you carry your speed. Dirtjumping bikes evolved form race bikes so it is just a carryover. Freestyle brakes have front brakes and they are not v's because those could be to easily bent in half.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
another thing is that generally, BMX bikes do not need as good stoping power, because generally thay are ridden on flat...i only have a rear U-brake on my BMX, and i find that i really dont need anything else in terms of stopping power.

A

a13x

20"ers don't even use brakes. manual? nope. dirtjumping? racing? nope. :)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Originally posted by a13x
20"ers don't even use brakes. manual? nope. dirtjumping? racing? nope. :)
in a perfect world we can race manual and dirtjump without a back brake, but god knows that never happens....

try and manual a bmx bike without that back brake for reassurance.....pretty difficult.....i always end up using it.....

i wish they had stronger brakes....it's a good question....I've always wondere how the hell freestyle riders do nosewheelies with those crappy-ass brakes???

Ian

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk
990s work pretty good when u tune em right.
but it generally takes alot of work and it is a pain in the @$$ to tune em right...bit yes, they can work quite well.

A

a13x

Originally posted by Ian Collins
try and manual a bmx bike without that back brake for reassurance.....pretty difficult.....i always end up using it.....
ah see son i'm talking about REAL 20 INCH riders. Not wannabeconvert MTB'ers (myself included when I hop on 20's). When I roll with the real dudes they school up and the brake is there merely for looks.

BTW: Seth's pretty much all done being a 'wannabeconvert MTB'er on a 20' now.. Kid's stupid at the Dirtjumps on his 20 now.. Bustin the BIG jumps and pulling no footed can cans.. bastard:angryfire

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by a13x

ah see son i'm talking about REAL 20 INCH riders. Not wannabeconvert MTB'ers (myself included when I hop on 20's). When I roll with the real dudes they school up and the brake is there merely for looks.

BTW: Seth's pretty much all done being a 'wannabeconvert MTB'er on a 20' now.. Kid's stupid at the Dirtjumps on his 20 now.. Bustin the BIG jumps and pulling no footed can cans.. bastard:angryfire
yup...us REAL bmxers dont need brakes:D actually im not really a big BMXer, but when i have time...i do ride BMX alot. i actually rode brakeless for like 6 months last year. but you really dont need brakes riding BMX...because it is fairly flat on street, on dirt you dont need to stop at all and in park you dont need to. it makes it more fun brakeless...and good no foot can cans are so sweet

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Race bikes only have a rear brake because its like an emergency brake, you only use it if the guy eats it right in front of you, or you case a jump real bad in a rythym section, and you can't make the next one. Anyway, front brakes are illegal for racing, so you won't even make it into the gate with one.