Quantcast

Why do DH riders use the UCI?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So serious question. Since almost everything I read about the UCI in regards to anything gravity oriented is negative, why do they still use them as the governing body? Why not start one that uses smarter rules?

Serious question, not a troll. Genuinely curious.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Im also very curious. Our local governing body (that falls under the UCI) is even worse.

Though I would guess out of comfort and lack of alternatives. Creating an alternate circut and the whole point system that would qualify you for the worlds would take a lot of time so a few dry years may scare people off.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
how is it that the FMB came about?? they seem to work well and no one is complaining. Lets face it, DH will never be an olympic sport, so why even need a UCI as a governing body with a bunch of old school twats behinds chairs telling us what to do and what not to do. It would be a great idea to start something new, but as norbar says, it would take a lot of time and... MONEY. Whos' gonna fund it?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
It would be a great idea to start something new, but as norbar says, it would take a lot of time and... MONEY. Whos' gonna fund it?

I don't understand why a bunch of passionate riders can't start a co-op of sorts. I guess all it takes is a leader...

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
It should be run more like moto racing, (without the international governing body) using different insurers and LESS EXPENSIVE!!

For us Canadians, look at oasis insurance (www.oasisinsurance.ca) as their rates are less expensive and a lot less hassle to put on events. DH should have nothing to do with the UCI.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
For an American if your end goal was to race a world cup you need to have USAC results to support your license going from Cat 2/3 to Cat 1 to pro and then earn enough points (in the states) to race a world cup.
So 99% of the US racers will never get to or care about reaching that level of competition...but if you do that is the only way as an individual racer.
UCI/USAC, are roady and XC biased, but still make some money from us so they wont let go of the Gravity racers. The only way that gravity racing will ever be run properly (fun and at least financially neutral) would be if it was controlled by a completely new organization.......I can dream cant I?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
It's like back in the days with ISF and the FIS...

The problem is, that all the major companys have a roadie and a xc relationship with the UCI. I don't know if that matters.
I'd like to see that the FMB starts doing gravity races maybe in cooperation with the IXS tour. This would give the whole gravity movement in mountain biking one platform, guided by riders.
It worked in snowboarding with the TTR tour, so why not?

Now that mountainbiking starts really to grow, it should be doable.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
The FMB is as far as I know the very first "governing body" for slope style type of events along with the FMB being started by people who are actually into the sport they cover.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's like back in the days with ISF and the FIS...

The problem is, that all the major companys have a roadie and a xc relationship with the UCI. I don't know if that matters.
I'd like to see that the FMB starts doing gravity races maybe in cooperation with the IXS tour. This would give the whole gravity movement in mountain biking one platform, guided by riders.

Im with you mate. As for the major companies - I remember a lot of the big guns being sponsored by k2, salomon, rossignol etc so it was not really different.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
AT the same time though, you don't want to create a CART/IRL situation where everybody loses.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Right now there is no viable alternative to the UCI. Running a local race serious is a major undertaking. Running a National race series is a massive undertaking. Running an international race series is...well, almost impossible without a dedicated team with lots of funding, connections, and experience.

Could someone step in and form a breakaway world series? Yes, but it would take a massive effort from more than a handful of people, and all the teams and manufacturers would have to be on board. I think getting everyone to sing off the same hymn sheet is not as easy as we think.

Buy the chances of this happening are better now than ever... I'm hopeful!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Right now there is no viable alternative to the UCI. Running a local race serious is a major undertaking. Running a National race series is a massive undertaking. Running an international race series is...well, almost impossible without a dedicated team with lots of funding, connections, and experience.

Could someone step in and form a breakaway world series? Yes, but it would take a massive effort from more than a handful of people, and all the teams and manufacturers would have to be on board. I think getting everyone to sing off the same hymn sheet is not as easy as we think.

Buy the chances of this happening are better now than ever... I'm hopeful!
The ixs guys run 4 or 5 different cups now, including a euro cup so it is possible

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The FMB is as far as I know the very first "governing body" for slope style type of events along with the FMB being started by people who are actually into the sport they cover.

yopaulie, I think that honour goes to the TTR tour, as mentionned by Monarch. But I'm wondering... didn't BMX go through this in the 70s and 80s? I have no idea if this is the case, but I seem to have vague recollections. Didn't BMX form its own, grass-roots, bottom-up governing body, and then it got big and well organized, and then they were able to negotiate with the UCI from a better position? Can anyone who actually knows correct me if I'm wrong?

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
The ixs guys run 4 or 5 different cups now, including a euro cup so it is possible
This is what I'm also thinking all the time. Maybe I'm not that deep in the business of organizing DH Races, but there should be no Problem to get one or two venues in the states or canada being part of a 2012 ixs Cup. Mhh- lets call it something like uhm.... WORLD-ixs-Cup!!! :D

Everybody would step up the game. Sponsors get worldwide recognation, Riders are going for a real international competition, Freecaster and all are beloved Photodogs and sites bring us great coverage and for us inet-spectators- we will get a great show. :thumb:

lolWes

Chimp
Aug 24, 2011
I think it would be better for the sport if we just forget about the UCI and relying upon old, out of touch road bikers to make the rules and decide the future of the sport. Start a league that is governed by Reps from inside the industry and all the major teams in the circuit. Have them vote on the venues for the races and any rule changes. When i played national level paintball, we had a similar setup for a league. And it worked pretty good, even got a event broadcast on espn and a show on fsn. The difference is that UCI cares about money, and the rider care about the growth of the sport. UCI get's sponsors that call it "Off Road Biking", not Mountain biking. Feels a little out of touch to me.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
1 mountain biker in the UCI hall of fame???
What are the rules for getting in. If you have to have been retired for 15 years or something, it could just be the youth of the sport that is keeping them out.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
When i played national level paintball, we had a similar setup for a league. And it worked pretty good, even got a event broadcast on espn and a show on fsn.
Well, I was president of the Global Mumblety-Peg Championships League from 1996 through 2010, and I can assure you we got galactic network coverage for every one of our 114 competitive events each calendar year. The very best revenues were from Planet Grognak in the Kranhelter System, but they paid us in quatloos (their native currency) which have no trading equivalent on Planet Earth.

Still, plenty of galactic glory to go around. And we Progressed the Sport, which is the real goal of all promotion.

Don't ask me to define "progressing the sport." All I know is that it's a great thing that nobody should ever question or define, because it's so great!

If you'd like to learn more, I can give you access codes for our Intergalactic Internet Information Kiosk. The access cost is only $24.95 per day.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
What are the rules for getting in. If you have to have been retired for 15 years or something, it could just be the youth of the sport that is keeping them out.
LOL! Ned Overend still kicks some serious ass. he was National US MTB Singlespeed XC Champion in 2010.... that's not how i imagine my retirement.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
What's Rainbow Jersey got to do with it? There's been 80-something senior rainbow jerseys handed out, and only one MTBer is on that plaque.