Quantcast

why do I have to be nice at work?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What's wrong with just being professional? I don't really care what you did last weekend or why your b/f is a jerk.

Why can't I just do my job efficiently and professionally?

Seems like if I don't engage in useless, pointless, and boring banter, I get crap from people.

Am I wrong, is being friendly required in the work place? Has it always been this way?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well I suppose it depends on where you work, but around here we are graded on attitude as well as technical proficiency. Depending on who is evaluating you at raise/promotion time, "friendly" and "pleasant to be around" could be taken into account.

I'm with you actually, I could care less about most of the fat idiots around here and what they do outside of work. But I play the game.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Dude, if some chick is whining about her boyfriend being a jerk, she may as well be wearing a sandwich board saying NOW ACCEPTING NEW PENISES!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
stinkyboy said:
Dude, if some chick is whining about her boyfriend being a jerk, she may as well be wearing a sandwich board saying NOW ACCEPTING NEW PENISES!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I used to try to be atleast polite ..now I treat people the way they treat me...no matter how high up the ladder some of these people think they are.....

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
LordOpie said:
What's wrong with just being professional? I don't really care what you did last weekend or why your b/f is a jerk.

Why can't I just do my job efficiently and professionally?

Seems like if I don't engage in useless, pointless, and boring banter, I get crap from people.

Am I wrong, is being friendly required in the work place? Has it always been this way?
Just start giving her REALLY bad advice and she'll stop talking to you. Tell her if she wants to make her man happy she'll bring another women into the bedroom. Then talk about football or beer until she goes away.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Isn't part of "being professional" getting along with the people you work with? Just smile, nod and pick up the check and the end of the week Loopie.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Well I suppose it depends on where you work, but around here we are graded on attitude as well as technical proficiency. Depending on who is evaluating you at raise/promotion time, "friendly" and "pleasant to be around" could be taken into account.

I'm with you actually, I could care less about most of the fat idiots around here and what they do outside of work. But I play the game.
LOL! It's tough for me to think of you being nice to someone you don't want to be nice to :think: In fact, I am imagining your face to look like your avatar :rofl:
It sucks, but I have to do it everyday...students, parents, staff. It's never fun, but it's my job.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
valve bouncer said:
Isn't part of "being professional" getting along with the people you work with? Just smile, nod and pick up the check and the end of the week Loopie.
I find myself doing a lot of nodding and smiling and I would certainly like to do more of this picking up the check at the end of the week :D

J

JRB

First you bitch because LB and miSSionary don't like you, now it's because people are too nice. Jeebus man. I'm with splat.

Brand new rope, I tell ya.