Quantcast

Why do I take this stupid Vitamin pill?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Kizzi77 was on something similar for a while. She was doing a clinical at some wellness center (she's a phys. therapist) and one of the other therapists sold her on it. After a couple months... she didnt notice a thing, and quit using it. I have 2 unopened jugs of the stuff in the cabinet. It was expensive as well.
Glad to see that she's off it. I have some cycling friends who are part of the machine and it's sad just how much $$ they spend on their supplements. A few month supply = car payment(s). If I were you, I would throw it on ebay or CL and see what comes of it. Who knows? You might even come ahead if you sell to the right chump.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Oh, Juice Plus is a supplement product, I thought you were talking about things like Tropican with extra calcium, etc...

If you don't eat lots of fruits and vegetables supplements like that are better than nothing...
Yep, the supplement, but you were correct in your first reply. The company claims to have something like 85 different veggies packed into one pill. Uhh, I'd much rather just cook some chicken and steam some veggies, thank you very much. Plus, we don't even need to get into the size of things...112 veggies into a pill that's no larger than a Centrum?

According to wikipedia, J+ came out with a children's multi-vitamin that had a wicked high amount of corn syrup. That's one expensive piece of candy and something I'd rather not give my child.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Glad to see that she's off it. I have some cycling friends who are part of the machine and it's sad just how much $$ they spend on their supplements. A few month supply = car payment(s). If I were you, I would throw it on ebay or CL and see what comes of it. Who knows? You might even come ahead if you sell to the right chump.
A friend of mine was all into supplements. He was buying some protein powder that cost about $50/month. I read the label and it provided nothing more than you get in a glass of milk. Of course if you mixed it with milk it would be like drinking two glasses of milk.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't doubt that quite a few supplement companies make some outrageous claims but if people are too busy/lazy to get the recommended servings of fruits and vegs (which have further increased in recent years) from the real thing the dried supplements are better than nothing. Its not like they are wasting their money on cigarettes/hard liquor/drugs.

Gary Null was the one that started the green and red dried plant supplement crazy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Null

I like no bull**** supplements from Pure:

http://www.purecaps.com/

They give you a CD with all the data for your review and its targeted at clinical professionals.

I only buy one supplement, this one:

http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=EDG2

We have it a lot better than birds in the rain forest. They eat mud to get their charcaps with minerals. Wait a second, some people didn't get the memo:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/sep/23/thisweekssciencequestions

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Calcium helps your body in other ways but its not making your bones stronger unless you are younger.

The human body reaches its maximum density in the mid-twenties. Afterwards the density of Ca in the bone declines (faster in females than males). No supplement or drug has been found in scientific studies to increase Ca levels after you have reached your mid-twenties. You can slow the decline but you can't make your bones any stronger.
Actually, it does help your bones, Specially when healing..... Something Both my wrists are currenetly doing. Docs orders on that one. But yes technicaly<sp> it will not make the bones stronger, but keep them from getting weakened as I get older and My boy starts to attack the bones, Of coarse this is more prevelant in women, but i dont feel like my bones getting brittle as I get older

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My bone density is apparently increasing still and I'm 30. Kinda sucks, I liked it when they were light and bendy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My bone density is apparently increasing still and I'm 30. Kinda sucks, I liked it when they were light and bendy.
Depends on which bone you are talking about but your overall bone density is probably just peaking unless you are an outlier.

Bone density peak usually occurs for women in the mid twenties while for men around 30 so its hard to pick an average number unless you specify sex...

Here is an article about men:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/502_men.html

As the majority of bone research clearly shows:

Once bone is lost, it cannot be completely replaced using currently available therapies. Therefore, it is essential that men be evaluated and treated before significant bone loss has occurred. Building strong bones during childhood and adolescence can be the best defense against developing osteoporosis later.

Although it cannot be cured, osteoporosis can be slowed down, and steps can be taken to help prevent the disease. A special kind of X-ray, the bone mineral density (BMD) test, is a safe, accurate, quick, painless, and noninvasive way to diagnose osteoporosis, detect low bone density, monitor the effectiveness of treatments, and predict the risk for future fractures.