Quantcast

Why do intelligent cool people hate Wal-Mart?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
me too.

on all counts "...combining trips..."

how would i go about doing that? if only there were one place where i could buy butter, bullets, beans & XXXL gansta tee's...:think:
Combining trips means to do all your errand running in one day as opposed to making multiple trips several times a week.

If you laid off the buttah, you wouldn't need XXXLarge mamal wangstah teez.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I walk to Ace. Now what?

See what I did there?

Not to mention the shops in downtown, 4 blocks from my house.
but if i move downtown i might catch teh ghey & my kid might go to a school where they teach the earth - which "apparently" is round - was created by a reincarnated pronghorned shamen. but at least i wouldn't have to burn a half tank of gas to beat up some hobos

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It's amazing to me that WalMart is so vilified and Target so embraced. Why do you think that is?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
but if i move downtown i might catch teh ghey & my kid might go to a school where they teach the earth - which "apparently" is round - was created by a reincarnated pronghorned shamen. but at least i wouldn't have to burn a half tank of gas to beat up some hobos
See, if you lived in a smaller and more functionally designed city, hobos are within walking distance as well.

We only have one guy in town who wears an old motorcycle helmet. He recently upgraded to a 2-cart system that seems to fit his needs. It's a little more time consuming because he has yet to tether them together, but it's not like he is in a hurry to get anywhere.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's amazing to me that WalMart is so vilified and Target so embraced. Why do you think that is?
Because they gave Spuds McKenzie a job! That dog has been out of work since the late 80's, so they care about community and their employees.

I'm not a big fan of Target, either.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No that's not quite what I meant. I was referring to the fact that there is a decreasing number of smaller individual stores and an increasing number of big box stores. This is what I mean by retail homogenization.

Maybe you want retail to be that way, all under the guise of consistency. However, as for me, I want diversity and the ability to choose.
if the product found in both walmart and ABC local store, inc. is sourced from china how does it make a difference? i'd rather pay less for the same with a better return policy.

that said, i almost never shop at walmart. the ones around puget sound aren't close to me, being designed for ugly suburbanites (vs. hip urban kids :D), and i don't like the clientele.

i do shop at costco whenever possible, on the other hand. i blend better with the FOB + upper middle class white clientele :homer: and its return policy for non-computer gear is unbeatable, on par with that of REI.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
if the product found in both walmart and ABC local store, inc. is sourced from china how does it make a difference? i'd rather pay less for the same with a better return policy.
But that is the thing, they aren't the same quality. They get a lower price because their suppliers often send them their "B" quality stock. That is one reason why I like Target because (from what I've seen) they sell top quality stuff. I also like how Target has wide isles and doesn't have stuff thrown all over the place. Plus, I've noticed that Walmart is only a few cents cheaper than Target so it is not worth dealing with the mess and low lifes.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I don't shop at Wal-Mart because it's a zoo....there are tons of parents with their kids and they never control them......our Wal-Mart is patronized by mostly hispanic ppl. Most elect to speak spanish, not english, and I find it annoying. In my home town Wal-Mart was the same, except it was white trailer trash

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Is their jewelry selection better than yours?
Sure, if you like mass produced jewelry that lacks any sense of design and is made by child labor.

I'm an award winning metalsmith/jewelry designer. I make my designs by hand using top quality metals and stones.

As far as design and quality goes, Walmart has nothing that can compare.

Walmart is all about cheap crap and tons of it.

The demand for cheap crap degrades the consumers expectation and appreciation for quality. More and more people forgo hand made items for inexpensive substitutes. This continuing trend is a contributing factor in the dumbing down of our culture.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I try not to shop at places I wouldn't work. I wouldn't work for Wal-Mart. Unless it was an upper mangement position....then I'd take them sacks of money from 'em.