Quantcast

Why do intelligent cool people hate Wal-Mart?

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
The reason I refuse to go into a Walmart is not because of the "killing local stores" or "its a mess" or any of these.
Its because there is WAAAAAAY too much Whiskey Tango that shops there and it gives me the willies. Id rather spend an extra dollar on a bag of dog food or a pack of socks and shop somewhere else than deal with parking next to beat up 1987 F-150s and rusted out Corollas and standing behind some 20yo baby's mama with 4 kids in tow in the check out line. Its the same story in Manchester CT, Rome NY, Peabody MA and every other Walmart Ive ever been to

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
Rolling money back into the local economy is not the same thing as having a page of their corporate website dedicated to candycoating their attempts at avoiding taxes through charity donations and grants.

Most local M&P's are not going to voluntarily give up money without some kind of incentive either are they? Nope... ain't happening.

Call it what you like... this is coin going back into the local economy.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
N8 said:
What if Wal-Mart didn't exist... where would all these poor wretches you speak of work then? For some family owned and run M&P? For McDonalds?

:p
No kidding. How hard is it to fly to China and get your manufacturing job back?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
luken8r said:
The reason I refuse to go into a Walmart is not because of the "killing local stores" or "its a mess" or any of these.
Its because there is WAAAAAAY too much Whiskey Tango that shops there and it gives me the willies. Id rather spend an extra dollar on a bag of dog food or a pack of socks and shop somewhere else than deal with parking next to beat up 1987 F-150s and rusted out Corollas and standing behind some 20yo baby's mama with 4 kids in tow in the check out line. Its the same story in Manchester CT, Rome NY, Peabody MA and every other Walmart Ive ever been to

So if you are 'too good' to mingle with the unwashed masses then Target is your ticket!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I do have to give N8 a few clever points. Based on the title of this thread, several people have owned up to being idiots.

It probably belongs in the PD forum, I was hoping to make it further into 2006 before I had to start oppressing though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Couldn't find the exact source but here is a study done in Austin that shows some differences.

Shopping at locally owned businesses puts three times the dollars into our economy. A landmark study found that of $100 spent at a local business, $45 stays in the community. But that same $100 spent at a chain store would put only $13 in our local economy. Don't give your money away, keep it in our community

http://www.ibuyaustin.com/

Of course the study was done by local business owners.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
N8 said:
So if you are 'too good' to mingle with the unwashed masses then Target is your ticket!

Thats actually more true than you realize. We are in Target at least 3 times a week el oh el :D. I am a fancy man and I like to shop at fancy stores. The only thing I dont like at Target is its weird smell. Plastic disinfectant mixed with popcorn and roto-dogs in the Target-urant

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
I do have to give N8 a few clever points. Based on the title of this thread, several people have owned up to being idiots.

It probably belongs in the PD forum, I was hoping to make it further into 2006 before I had to start oppressing though.

Why? It isn't a political issue.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I Are Baboon said:
I enjoy shopping, but I can not stand Walmart. It has nothing to do with the political or social reasons everyone discusses. I just think the stores are a mess, the people that shop there suck, the people that work there are unhelpful, and trying to get through the cash registers makes me want to shoot someone. It's not a fun shopping experience, and MBC has to drag me kicking and screaming anytime she wants to go.
Could not have put it better!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
luken8r said:
Thats actually more true than you realize. We are in Target at least 3 times a week el oh el :D. I am a fancy man and I like to shop at fancy stores. The only thing I dont like at Target is its weird smell. Plastic disinfectant mixed with popcorn and roto-dogs in the Target-urant
I shop at Target since these isn't anything at Wal-Mart I usually need. Besides, my local Target has my ultra sucessful-metro demographic down... they have a Starbucks shop inside it...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
N8 said:
I shop at Target since these isn't anything at Wal-Mart I usually need. Besides, my local Target has my ultra sucessful-metro demographic down... they have a Starbucks shop inside it...
Next thing you'll be espousing economic theory from the underpants gnomes.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
SkaredShtles said:
Interesting view. Replace WT with the "N" word and see how it sounds. :rolleyes:

This does not apply to this situation. They stay in the South Bay Center, I havent been there since college. Theres a reason I dont shop in Dorchester

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
Call it what you like... this is coin going back into the local economy.
The money spent at local businesses goes directly into the pocket of the local business owners, which is, in turn, spent in the community. What do you think is done with all the money the local businesses receive? Do you think it's hoarded away in mattresses? Even if they aren't actually giving it away as charitable donations, the money is staying local.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
N8 said:
But Wal-Mart does have a large Community Involvement... at a far greater amount than any local M&P that's for sure:
http://www.walmartfacts.com/community/

This is just for Louisiana:

I KNEW you were going to point to their benevolent community involvement. I'm not convinced this is anything other than publicity-driven kickbacks they grudgingly pay to get building permits and other entitlements. That's right, I think they BUY their way into the communities.

Whatever, there is no arguing with your "logic" except to say that you are ignoring subjective issues like loss of community and local character.

You don't seem to care about anything other than what you think is best for you in the short-run. You probably like shopping at places like Walmart, whereas they turn my stomach.

You probably also think I'm just a stupid hippy lacking your sophistication. Luckily I don't put much stock in your opinion or your labels.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
I enjoyed the change you made :D

Yeah I went from and idiot to intelligent and cool in about 5 minutes while my hate of Walmart remained unabated.

I also agree with IAB. Waiting in line at Walmart is like waiting for the slaughter.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Let's see whose mind is feeble when the housing market corrects, and fuel/heating prices expose 5400 square foot houses in 40 mile away suburbs for what they are.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incidentally, I don't avoid Wal-Mart because of economic reasons, I'm just participating in the discussion.

Our local Wal-Mart is filled with a combination of total idiots, the morbidly obese, and people who can't seem to walk faster than 0.000062mph - not to mention the stupidest, surliest employees I've ever seen in my life - which makes shopping there a hellish experience, which is the only real reason I don't visit very often. :dead:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
Let's see whose mind is feeble when the housing market corrects, and fuel/heating prices expose 5400 square foot houses in 40 mile away suburbs for what they are.

What in tarnation are you talking about?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
Incidentally, I don't avoid Wal-Mart because of economic reasons, I'm just participating in the discussion.

Our local Wal-Mart is filled with a combination of total idiots, the morbidly obese, and people who can't seem to walk faster than 0.000062mph, which makes shopping there a hellish experience, which is the only real reason I don't visit very often. :dead:

You are too cool for Wal-Mart... See Target.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
You are too cool for Wal-Mart... See Target.
Target is better, but it's still too crowded. Though I have to admit (and you grabbed my post pre-edit, so see my comment about the employees), the employees there seem far less disgruntled and they're actually willing to smile at you.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So basically people hate Wal-Mart largly because of the people who shop there? Nice! Way to be tolerant of those less fortunate than you are... :rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
So basically people hate Wal-Mart largly because of the people who shop there? Nice! Way to be tolerant of those less fortunate than you are... :rolleyes:
Did I say anything even remotely similar to that?

Edit: and yes, people make choices all the time about where they would like to go based on what sort of experience it will be. There's a reason I don't go to certain parts of the city of Rochester too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
Why are you equating hating Wal-Mart because of the people who shop there, with being intolerant of those less fortunate than I am?

I don't go around telling these people they're dumb, obese, or physically infirm. I don't deny them their right to shop there. I simply don't want to shop with them. What, exactly, is your problem with that? :rolleyes:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
Why are you equating hating Wal-Mart because of the people who shop there, with being intolerant of those less fortunate than I am?

I don't go around telling these people they're dumb, obese, or physically infirm. I don't deny them their right to shop there. I simply don't want to shop with them. What, exactly, is your problem with that? :rolleyes:

Of course those could easily be code words for other races too...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
N8 said:

ROFL!!! Sweeet, suddenly the republican is the champion of the less fortunate!! Nice one N8, that was right out of the Bush playbook.

:nopity:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
Of course those could easily be code words for other races too...
Oh, blow me. Yes, I'm talking in code for my hidden racism :rolleyes:. Where do you get this kind of retarded crap?

I don't care if it's a morbidly obese white person shuffling along at a snail's pace, or a morbidly obese black person, I don't friggin' want to be behind them. If someone is driving down the highway, doing 35 in a 55, it doesn't matter if they're old, young, black, white or another race, nobody wants to be behind them. I don't begrudge them their right to live and shop and drive, but I'm going to do my best to avoid them.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
Oh, blow me. Yes, I'm talking in code for my hidden racism :rolleyes:. Where do you get this kind of retarded crap?

I don't care if it's a morbidly obese white person shuffling along at a snail's pace, or a morbidly obese black person, I don't friggin' want to be behind them. If someone is driving down the highway, doing 35 in a 55, it doesn't matter if they're old, young, black, white or another race, nobody wants to be behind them.
I stand corrected... see post #76.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
Opps.. my bad... perhaps I should have said "less beautiful, hip and fit" instead of "less fortuate"...

:confused:

Where did I mention the physical appearance of the people who shop there?

My point is, no matter what Walmart I've been in, the shopping experience has sucked.