Quantcast

why do my new brakes suck

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Bought Saints brakes last fall. If I remember they were working great until I started skiing and stored it away. The bike spent winter in garage.
Now they are loud as **** x 3 good rides and don't stop nearly as well. The rear is a joke actaully. I can't skid on loose dirt unless I pull as hard as possible. ANd then it is poor at best. Any ideas ? FYI:
Me/160# bike/35# I'm running 7" front and 6" rear. Should be plenty of power right ?

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Doubtful anything spilled on them. I'm going to rub down the rotors w/ Whhhiskey and see if that helps. I don't think bleeding is neccesary seeing as I have < day/24hrs of total riding on them.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
OK. I'll bleed em and put some rubbing Alcohol on the rotors. That doesn't do it I'm off to the shop. Good bleed article for Shimano on NSMB btw.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Was your bike in the garage all winter? Good chance air has seeped in and replaced some of the braking potential that the fluid did have. Cold weather and air/moisture can do a number on brake fluid without much notice. Cars see more use but are still prone to this but not as bad as a bike. Bleed the brakes with some ATE gold DOT4 it has a very high boiling point and have had great luck with it in all my little fuel burners.

Pick up some non chlorinated brake clean when your at the autoparts store. It flashes off real fast and is great for cleaning up grease and grime. Just make sure if you wear gloves unless that kinda thing does not bother you.

Good luck