Quantcast

Why do people hate fences?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I say we install some large hydraulic jacks along the border that will actually split the earth's crust and push Mexico south separating us by an ocean. Mexico never really seemed like North America anyway.

give them back Texass as a token as well..

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Plus what about hills???? How is water going to go uphill???? I hereby retract my previous support for moats and endorse Mike "the MAN" D's idea of guard towers but only if they are accompanied by minefields, especially if every 10th mine is a tank destroyer.
wha?

I don't endorse a wall--much less guard towers...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
white 19th century American people (with a little help from Sharps rifles) kick ass!!!
If they were smart they would have switched from exotic to native farm animals and saved themselves a ton of headaches - it took them a while:

Bison Today

We also caused more problems than we fixed when we extirpated the gray wolf from North America in the early 1900s.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
US might gain much more if the money spent for land degradation and separation of people would be invested in development of education system, environmental protection and other cruical infrastructure vital to social and economic development. Building border fences doesn't fit for the 21 century.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
US might gain much more if the money spent for land degradation and separation of people would be invested in development of education system, environmental protection and other cruical infrastructure vital to social and economic development. Building border fences doesn't fit for the 21 century.
If you're not for the moat you're against the moat and therefore a commie pinko! (or a terrorist... pick your flavor)

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I was referring to the LO original question not the moat delusion.
However true moat lover would have his own, private moat, built by cheap illegal labour, so your wishes are self contradictory.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How does that relate to illegal immigration? Unless you're saying that money should be spent in Mexico, but you wrote it like US money spent in the US?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
tell me more about the 'land degradation' as it relates to environmental protection, and compare that with the efforts of our neighbors (but only if it's relevant).

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
How does that relate to illegal immigration? Unless you're saying that money should be spent in Mexico, but you wrote it like US money spent in the US?

I thought it was rather obvious, I mean you want to remove the cause of the problem. I think that any kind of border fence represents very expensive, short term and uneffective solution.
US might achieve the longterm solution by removing illegal employment opportunities in US and investing in faster development of Mexico at the same time. Smart investment strategies could result in creating new employment opportunities in both sides of the border, etc, etc...

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
tell me more about the 'land degradation' as it relates to environmental protection, and compare that with the efforts of our neighbors (but only if it's relevant).
Border fence is a kind of land degradation unless you are saying that Mexicans represent hazard for the environment.
I'm just saying that tax money could be spent for something that is actually needed.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Border fence is a kind of land degradation unless you are saying that Mexicans represent hazard for the environment.
I'm just saying that tax money could be spent for something that is actually needed.
I saw a mexican litter just the other day

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
And who do you think will build a border fence, rich white kids?

Just saying.
You are right, construction of border fence would require too many workers.
The giant moat between US and Mexico could be built with nuclear excavation. That way you could still have cheap workers for cleaning the moat around the house.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I thought it was rather obvious, I mean you want to remove the cause of the problem. I think that any kind of border fence represents very expensive, short term and uneffective solution.
US might achieve the longterm solution by removing illegal employment opportunities in US and investing in faster development of Mexico at the same time. Smart investment strategies could result in creating new employment opportunities in both sides of the border, etc, etc...
I wasn't obvious as it was convoluted.

As for your idea... it's nice in theory, but we don't currently have the resources to do that.

Also, Mexico has an unhealthy influx of immigrants coming to them from the south, so do we fix those economies too? Seems to me that we've been interfering a little too much?

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Fixing economy is not the proper term, offering help would suit much better.

My idea is nothing new, it's been used in practice in various parts of the world, but it takes time to achieve results. Unless US is preparing for the war with aliens there should be plenty of resources. Besides such investments are expected to return, but only if the job is properly done.
In addition, faster and healthy development of one region would also effect on their less developed neighbours. It also couldn't harm if other regions would be participating in such programs.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
You guys are missing an obvious solution, one which has been proven effective in many 3rd would countries and bad neighbor situations. I'm really hesitant to mention this for fear someone might take me seriously: Landmines. For those who want to shoot, incarcerate and exploit poor immigrants, you should really go all the way support landmines.

For the sake of arguement, fences in other parts of the world are maintained to keep out violent people who want to blow up the entering country. In our situation, people want to come and work- (of course you could argue the resulting cheap labor has the same terrorist economic sanctions on the middle class as blowing up a restaurant).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, on moral grounds, landmines are one thing, and you're being facetious anyhow, right?

But on practical grounds, they're still not entirely effective used alone. Landmines are an obstacle, just like a fence. Landmines on their own do present a deterrent, but are also pretty easily defeated given time.

The point of landmines used as a barrier, like other obstacles, is to channel adversaries into a particular position (using overt minefields) or to slow their advance... either result being a way to shoot them (under military circumstances.) They're not a tool to block anyone totally or cause serious attrition on their own.

If you don't observe your minefields, you will end up with safe lanes being made through them via infinite methods (plowing with vehicles, probing by hand, forcing someone to walk ahead of you, whatever). So in the end, they're no better than any other obstacle. The primary tool for border security and control is observation (arrayed in depth, preferably), not a single Manginot line of some kind or an belt of physical obstacles.

Given the heavy manpower requirements for physical defense of the border, we'd better use a technical solution. But hopefully something better than that Boeing boondoggle "virtual fence."