Quantcast

Why do protestors wear helmets?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is more preparation on both sides for protests. The police have better control tactics but the protesters are also better in counter tactics.

Frankly, I like to start trouble on my own, I don't need a mob or a cause to do it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Peaceful protests? What about the fall of the Berlin Wall? Tienimen (sp?) Square? I can't bring myself to believe that there is NEVER a need for a violent protest.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kinghami3 said:
Peaceful protests? What about the fall of the Berlin Wall? Tienimen (sp?) Square? I can't bring myself to believe that there is NEVER a need for a violent protest.
The Fall of Berlin Wall wasn't a protest, it is a reaction of 50 years of separation. Tiananmen Square was a peaceful protest until the Army decided to end it.

While in oppressive countries, the right to protest is tenuous, in most Western countries, you can protest without much trouble, so I still don't see the need to get violent.

Keep in mind, a few protestors start throw stuff, scrap with cops, then the police attack in force, and they will win.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
sanjuro said:
The Fall of Berlin Wall wasn't a protest, it is a reaction of 50 years of separation. Tiananmen Square was a peaceful protest until the Army decided to end it.

While in oppressive countries, the right to protest is tenuous, in most Western countries, you can protest without much trouble, so I still don't see the need to get violent.

Keep in mind, a few protestors start throw stuff, scrap with cops, then the police attack in force, and they will win.
Sorry, misuse of vocabulary concerning the Berlin Wall. Concerning Tiananmen, it is too early for a political debate.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
sanjuro said:
...in most Western countries, you can protest without much trouble, so I still don't see the need to get violent.
As long as you stay within the cage 10 miles away from the event...

Not that I have ever thought much of the protesters... but our right to assemble has taken some SERIOUS hits under the current administration. And if I had an issue that I was really passionate about and they told me I could only protest in a certain area - I'd get a bit unruly and belligerent...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I don't know but when the "peacefull" protestors showed up in Seattle, for the WTO meetings, with honest to god gas masks I have to say that seemed self explanitory.

They came looking for trouble. I mean where do you get old military gas masks, at the corner store? No, $.99 rain pounchos yes. Gas masks? No.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
You've gotta realize that was a very small percentage of people w/ gas masks at the WTO, but they were right at the center of the action, so they were what you saw on the news. There will always be someone looking for trouble.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
RhinofromWA said:
I don't know but when the "peacefull" protestors showed up in Seattle, for the WTO meetings, with honest to god gas masks I have to say that seemed self explanitory.

They came looking for trouble. I mean where do you get old military gas masks, at the corner store? No, $.99 rain pounchos yes. Gas masks? No.
Now why on earth would they need gas masks?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
90% of "protests" dont get chit done.
more effective way to get stuff done, is to make their own lobby.. use the time they waste protesting to work, and use that money to fund their lobby.... now, lobbies gets stuff done i say!!!....

i hate them protesting bitches... i guess, now that i pay taxes, am turning into a conservative....

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
ALEXIS_DH said:
i hate them protesting bitches... i guess, now that i pay taxes, am turning into a conservative....
How can you know you hate all protesters? What if someone were protesting the soon to be televised execution of your wife. Would you hate that bitch?