Quantcast

Why do road bikes cost more than mountain bikes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was surfing Ebay, and I sorted all bikes, highest priced first. There were 30 bikes, and only 5 were mountain. And of that, only one was not a XC bike (a Demo 9).

I should know this answer, but it befuddles me. Mountain bikes are more complicated and stronger, but cost less?

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
because roadies used to be all yuppies...and they have to pay a ton of money for stuff, just so they can tell you how much they spent...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
goodtobeirie makes me laugh. you may want to do some more valid research with a real bike store before you make assumptions. hopefully someone else will chime in because im too lazy to go into all of the details right now.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
gnurider1080 said:
goodtobeirie makes me laugh. you may want to do some more valid research with a real bike store before you make assumptions. hopefully someone else will chime in because im too lazy to go into all of the details right now.
glad to be of service...the post was purely sarcasm...I have no clue about road bikes, as I ride my mtbike on the road...:)

that is, when they won't let me on the trails...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
johnbryanpeters said:
30 bikes on eBay? I would have expected 300. No idea on the relative price, Lance wannabes, maybe...
Sorry, the first page listed 30. Some of the bikes were ridiculous, like Colnago/Ferrari bikes, but most were ti/carbon jobbies.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
johnbryanpeters said:
Naw, I'm talking taking a road bike onto technical singletrack. That's how I got started at this game when someone pointed out some trails - I just started riding.

That just sounds...................stupid :think:

:D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
They cost more because people are willing to pay more for them.

I dont think that I would be wrong in saying that the average road biker has a higher disposable income than your average hard core mountain biker.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
They're more expensive basically because of weight. Think about it, the lightest Sora/tiagra crap weighs a lot less than say deore or acera. On the lower end MTB crap they can just give you a hunk of metal and not worry about weight but you can't sell a 35ibs low end road bike b/c no one would buy it.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Everything is meant to be light. Road bikers are extreme weight weenies and need everything to be light so they can go extremely fast. Some road bikers are dousche bags whereas us Mt. Bikers, or at least most of us are laid back and cool.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
biker3 said:
They're more expensive basically because of weight. Think about it, the lightest Sora/tiagra crap weighs a lot less than say deore or acera. On the lower end MTB crap they can just give you a hunk of metal and not worry about weight but you can't sell a 35ibs low end road bike b/c no one would buy it.
Ummmm yea....35 lbs. road bike...I think Raleigh makes one....hahahaa.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
rpk1988 said:
Ummmm yea....35 lbs. road bike...I think Raleigh makes one....hahahaa.

But then you see 'that guy' riding a Litespeed with his office executives who stacks in at 5' 4" and 250 lbs.

splat

Nam I am
rpk1988 said:
Some road bikers are dousche bags whereas us Mt. Bikers, or at least most of us are laid back and cool.
Ive met my fair share of Mt Bikers that are peckerheads!

as for whay they cost more ? well you buy a hight end road bike and it is going to last a Long long time , if not forever. ( my Wifes Road bike frame is 27 years old ! and it still awesome ) Road Bike components last a Long long time. and someone who is pure roadie , will ask the basic question , "how come something that is built like tank and weighs a ton cost so much ?"

when a top end bike is used for what it is intended for it makes a Difference and it costs for that.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
GravityFreakTJ said:
No we are not!!!!!!!!!!

my road bike is 16.8# with pedals:thumb:
I know someone who has one that is 15.4# with pedals. So we added lead weights to his seat post when he wasnt looking. Haha. But then he found out.

splat

Nam I am
Wumpus said:
Have you seen how some people on here ride there mountain bikes? Would you pay top dollar for one of their bikes? Plus, mountain bikers are a bunch of cheap bastards.

he has a point there ! I know when I go to Road Rallies ( like GEAR ) it is held at a Local college , and we stay in college dorm rooms , Mt bike Festivals, ( like Pedros Fest ) we camp , and the same can be said for Endurance races too. Road we stayed in Hostels/Motels Mt , we camp.

My local Shop owner says Roadies are more likely to take there bike to a shop, then a MT Biker.

J

JRB

I don't know what my road bike weighs either. I did laugh at goodtobeirie, which has only happened a few times. Since Lisa bagged out, I may stalk irie for a while. :D

edit - there was a thread with Orven riding a legit roadie on trails, but I don't feel like searching.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
rpk1988 said:
Some road bikers are dousche bags whereas us Mt. Bikers, or at least most of us are laid back and cool.
So some mountain bikers suck and some road bikers suck, what is your point? Some people suck?

Are you going to pay top dollar for a bike that has been used and abused pretty heavily or for one that has been ridden only on roads and used fairly lightly? A road bike retains its value much longer than a mountain bike.

And at the basic level mountain bikes may cost less than a road bike, but for nicer models I'd say the mountain bikes cost more. Look at the downhill market. Or better yet compare the price of a carbon mountain bike to a carbon road bike. You can get a carbon road for about 1800-2000. I haven't seen too many carbon mountain bikes for that price.

The Ito

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
A lot of it is the "Lance factor" a lot of people are aware of road biking now and some roadies are extremely status conscious. Part of it is due to to the more exotic construction for some road bikes like Ito points out and the extreme emphasis on light weight. You rarely see TI and Carbon fiber on Mountain bikes, when a bike is built of comparable materials, the mountain bike usually costs more because it's a more complicated build.

It's one thing to make a single part of a bike lighter, but when you think about the fact of a pro-XC MTB'er's bike weighing in at about 21-24 pounds, and then a pro road biker's bike(or some exotic bike like a colnago), weighing in as low as 15 pounds(I've even heard rumors of complete bikes as low as 11 pounds), and w/this being bikes often with significantly larger frames, that's a H#LL-OF_ALOTT of weight to be removed!

Talk about expensive, I seen a write-up in velo-news, showing a
pinarello frame for $10,000, or whole bike(w/allotta in house parts)
for $20,000!!! That is sick! For $20G that thing better weigh 5pounds or less, and get me a first place in the tour de france!

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
ito said:
So some mountain bikers suck and some road bikers suck, what is your point? Some people suck?

Are you going to pay top dollar for a bike that has been used and abused pretty heavily or for one that has been ridden only on roads and used fairly lightly? A road bike retains its value much longer than a mountain bike.

And at the basic level mountain bikes may cost less than a road bike, but for nicer models I'd say the mountain bikes cost more. Look at the downhill market. Or better yet compare the price of a carbon mountain bike to a carbon road bike. You can get a carbon road for about 1800-2000. I haven't seen too many carbon mountain bikes for that price.

The Ito

Definatley not ITO.. Road bike frames are way, way more expensive then downhill bike frames and bikes- hands down.

Look at downhill frames...they pretty much top out at 3 grand. 5-6 grand built with the MOST expensive stuff you could find on a foes 2:1, brooklyn...other super pricy options.. Now 3 grand...Thats not a lot for a road frame, when you have serotta's and lightspeeds for 6-7 grand for the frame, and many bikes breaking 10 grand complete. I doubt it would be possible for a dh bike to break 10 grand, hardly 7 grand. (Barring any prototype stuff, just off the market parts) I mean there are road wheels which retail for several thousand dollars alone. To say mountain bike is more expensive then road is just wrong.

To put it bluntly, I think its demographic. Road bikers are older. Older= real salary.

(-tiltmode)

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
splat said:
My local Shop owner says Roadies are more likely to take there bike to a shop, then a MT Biker.
An alternate possibility might be that more mountain bikers than road bikers know how to work on their own machines and keep them in good working order. I started as a mechanic in the early 80's and have worked in a number of shops to date. From my experience, most roadies bringing their bikes into shops needing stuff like flats fixed, wheels trued, or deraileurs adjusted, really tough stuff (NOT!) The roadie stereotype I've grown to accept is that the bear's share of them are executive types who are just used to having underlings do the dirty work for them. Just MHO.

splat

Nam I am
OrthoPT said:
An alternate possibility might be that more mountain bikers than road bikers know how to work on their own machines and keep them in good working order. I started as a mechanic in the early 80's and have worked in a number of shops to date. From my experience, most roadies bringing their bikes into shops needing stuff like flats fixed, wheels trued, or deraileurs adjusted, really tough stuff (NOT!) The roadie stereotype I've grown to accept is that the bear's share of them are executive types who are just used to having underlings do the dirty work for them. Just MHO.

which just goes right along the lines of Roadies tend not to be a cheap as MT bikers. I'm not saying it makes cents ( <-- Play on words ) . I'm just stating that is the way it is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A road bike may cost more but they usually end up being cheaper in the long run. I spend a few grand a year replacing MTB parts. The most I have ever had to do to a roadbike is bar wrap, tires and a chain after a few thousand miles.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
splat said:
which just goes right along the lines of Roadies tend not to be a cheap as MT bikers. I'm not saying it makes cents

you know its kinda funny.one of the shops i used to frequent the mechanics would make fun of the roadies for bringing in their bikes for every little thing,and how mtb'ers fixed most everthing themselves.guess they never figured out that the roadies they loved to crack on were the reason they had a job:rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The hyper-focus on weight is probably part of it. Also, high end road bikes these days generally have more carbon and titanium. Most importantly, I think, is the relative volume of each - it seems to me there are a lot fewer road bikes so the economy of scale is not really there. Also, for road frames you need 1 or 2 cm increments in sizing and with mtb most companies can get away with 4 or maybe 5 sizes. Plus, many of the uber pimp road bikes are made in Europe so you have additional duckets tacked on for import duties, taxes, etc.

Having said that, yes at the super high end road bikes are more expensive but I'm not sure it's really true when you look at intermediate level stuff. There are some really high quality, light and inexpensive road bikes out right now.

Bikes are like computers, for the average person they just keep getting better and cheaper.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
The hyper-focus on weight is probably part of it. Also, high end road bikes these days generally have more carbon and titanium. Most importantly, I think, is the relative volume of each - it seems to me there are a lot fewer road bikes so the economy of scale is not really there. Also, for road frames you need 1 or 2 cm increments in sizing and with mtb most companies can get away with 4 or maybe 5 sizes. Plus, many of the uber pimp road bikes are made in Europe so you have additional duckets tacked on for import duties, taxes, etc.

Having said that, yes at the super high end road bikes are more expensive but I'm not sure it's really true when you look at intermediate level stuff. There are some really high quality, light and inexpensive road bikes out right now.

Bikes are like computers, for the average person they just keep getting better and cheaper.
Almost every FS bike is made of aluminum. No matter how fancy the design, alu is still the cheapest material around.

No doubt you get a better value with a $1100 road bike than you do with the equivalent mtn bike (typically a crappy fork). But the high end bikes are really overpriced, but I guess it is what the market will bear.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Road bikes are the profit makers for the industry(Lance Factor) right now. Back int he 90's it was MTB's, now MTB's aren't as mainstream(except for the mass merchant crap). And several of the roadies I know are weight weenies, I mean who else pays close to $100 for a carbon water bottle cage? One of the guys I ride with bought these and when he told me how much they cost to save something like 30 grams I almost sh!t. I told him I could save hime twice that weight for half the money. when he asked how I grabbed his water bottle and squeazed about an ounce of water out of it!!!

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
GravityFreakTJ said:
you know its kinda funny.one of the shops i used to frequent the mechanics would make fun of the roadies for bringing in their bikes for every little thing,and how mtb'ers fixed most everthing themselves.guess they never figured out that the roadies they loved to crack on were the reason they had a job:rolleyes:
Umm... they know that the roadies help keep the store open for business. That's why they never made fun of the roadies to their faces. The driving reason for the mechanics making fun of them is that they bring in wicked expensive machines because they don't even know how to change their own flat. The glaring difference here is the mountain bikers generally know a whole lot more about their bikes and how to maintain them while the roadies just sit back and let someone else maintain their ride for them.