Quantcast

Why do Shorts keep getting longer???

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have noticed in the past 2 years baggy shorts keep getting longer, longer and longer. I mean come on. I am all for the form, but it starting to get in the way of function. The inseam on a pair of shorts I just got is like 10" on a size medium wtf :think: :angry: :think: They are almost past my knee standing up!
Its not like my legs are dispraportionately short or anything. I have a 32/34" waist and a 32" inseam.

The best pair of shorts I can remember was Zoic's "static" (I think), they had like a 6" or 7" inseam. I don't mind riding in nuthuggers, I do when I ride the road, but I prefer baggies when I am hitting the trail. This is starting to annoy me.

Rant off.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
clancy98 said:
you mean biking shorts, or shorts in general?
Biking shorts

clancy98 said:
Nobody likes to see balls.

How close do you get to your riding buddies? :think: :nope: :think:

Echo said:
Dude you go ahead and wear your short shorts and look like a 70's NBA player :D
I dont want short shorts, but jeeebuss these things keep getting longer and longer. Next thing ya know Fox is just going to sew a chamois into those shorts you see the 15 year old kids holding onto at the entrance to your local mall. Who knows maybe they will even include some faux boxers hanging out the top.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a problem finding baggies that don't drop below my knee when I pedal. And it sucks when they do that because it just rubs the skin on my knees and slows me down.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Westy said:
I have a problem finding baggies that don't drop below my knee when I pedal. And it sucks when they do that because it just rubs the skin on my knees and slows me down.
:stupid:

That's what I am talking about.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
SkaredShtles said:
Simple solution: wear lycra shorts. They haven't changed in something like 40 years........... :p

-S.S.-
I like baggies for a few reasons when I ride my MTB

1) I usually put on my shorts at home, as apposed to the trail head, so having pockets makes things easier. Not to mention if I have to stop to get gas, or water or whatever.

2) and most importantly I like the additional layer of protection. I dont crash too often, usually when I do it is something like a slide out or something simple, where the baggy shorts will get in the way of the ground tearing away my skin. :cool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

1) I usually put on my shorts at home, as apposed to the trail head, so having pockets makes things easier. Not to mention if I have to stop to get gas, or water or whatever.

2) and most importantly I like the additional layer of protection. I dont crash too often, usually when I do it is something like a slide out or something simple, where the baggy shorts will get in the way of the ground tearing away my skin. :cool:
:thumb: You'll probably have to live with 'em getting longer then. Unless they get shorter. :D

-S.S.-

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Westy said:
The ones that come down past your knees generally fit my long legs just right. Most bike shorts tend to give me the "Larry Bird" look as Echo alluded to. So I say, Keep on makin em longer!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

you could take them to get just the outer shell hemmed. I did that with my snowboard pants...I guess they think every chick that boards is a friggin amazon.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Nate at RIT said:
I'm a fan of the spandex underneath homemade cutoffs. But I'm aware of what you're talking about, which is why I stopped buying off the rack shorts.
I have been doing that more and more, but there was a nice pair of Oakley's on closeout for cheap. (that initiated this rant)

Also if you have an army/navy surplus store they usually have good nylon/cotton mix camo (also black/tan/olive usually) shorts for cheap that work well over spandex.

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I have noticed in the past 2 years baggy shorts keep getting longer, longer and longer. I mean come on. I am all for the form, but it starting to get in the way of function. The inseam on a pair of shorts I just got is like 10" on a size medium wtf :think: :angry: :think: They are almost past my knee standing up!
Its not like my legs are dispraportionately short or anything. I have a 32/34" waist and a 32" inseam.

The best pair of shorts I can remember was Zoic's "static" (I think), they had like a 6" or 7" inseam. I don't mind riding in nuthuggers, I do when I ride the road, but I prefer baggies when I am hitting the trail. This is starting to annoy me.

Rant off.
It's not the inseam, it's your paunch pushing down on the waistband! :blah: :eviltongu :D

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Snacks said:
Hahaha! :)

Rob, are you saying you were camo shorts on the trail? :think:

If I did, you wouldnt be able to see me now would you? :blah:

I had 2 pairs of those shorts, neither were actually "camo" one was black, the other olive.

Is that ok?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
If I did, you wouldnt be able to see me now would you? :blah:

I had 2 pairs of those shorts, neither were actually "camo" one was black, the other olive.

Is that ok?
:eviltongu

Yes, it's okay, I would perfer to see you in something shorter....more form fitting :sneaky:

Work it! :blah:

to get back to the original question you are actually describing what i have been waiting for shorts to do. i have a pair of roach Swade shorts, and love them for that specific reason, they come past my knees. and the reason.....cause they stay over your leg armour. that way it isnt popping back and forth accross the seam, which drives me NUTS!!!!!!! so i love a longer short like that so that it stays over the knee part of my armour and doesnt catch each time.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Zman said:
to get back to the original question you are actually describing what i have been waiting for shorts to do. i have a pair of roach Swade shorts, and love them for that specific reason, they come past my knees. and the reason.....cause they stay over your leg armour. that way it isnt popping back and forth accross the seam, which drives me NUTS!!!!!!! so i love a longer short like that so that it stays over the knee part of my armour and doesnt catch each time.
That's great for DH, and for DH specific stuff thats fine, but I am talking about riding XC or trail, where the majority of us arent wearing armor.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I hate baggy shorts allot! :mad:

They once caused me a nasty crash. I had taken off the adjustment caps on the top of my shivver, and i was pedaling through the street and the ****ing long short caught the right top cap of the shivver, and when my knee went down it pulled the wheel to the right, and i crashed with no helmet or anything at like 25 miles an hour in the middle of the street. Not only was it dangerouse and did i get pretty beaten up, but the whole town saw it... :nuts:

Now i dont even own a pair of shorts, other than swiming, but i usually swim in my jeans any way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
skip lycra shorts and go straight to bibs.

as for pockets to walk into a gas station and hold you wallet, you can wear baggy shorts over your lycra until you get to the trail head. Besides, you'll need regular shorts to change into after riding. The boys do like being aired out after a long ride.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I am all for the long shorts...based on the fact that I am 6 ft tall.

It's a bummer to go into the girls' section, and find out that all the shorts are pink and are about 6" long. :mumble:

I like a bit of protection on my legs.

So, I often wear guys baggy shorts.

-the Amazon