Quantcast

Why do so many of my friends watch Fox News?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And not for the same hilarious reasons I do, either.

A good friend of mine that I have known since kindergarten became a fan of Glenn Beck on facebook a few weeks back. I gave him a little grief about how I loved his wacky antics on his show. Then yesterday he saw I became a fan of Palin (as a joke) and asked what was up.

This is the 3rd "Fox 'n Friends" friend of mine who has brought up the Palin thing. These are pretty good friends of mine, most of whom I have never talked politics with because I know where they get their ideas from. But they are also somewhat intelligent people who are just too lazy to be bothered with "facts" when it's so much easier to let someone else tell you what to think and feel.

It bothers me a little, but at the same time it's amusing. Is that wrong?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm in the exact same boat man, I just don't get what is up with friends of mine whom I otherwise consider fairly intelligent, well meaning people. Its pretty frustrating is it not? :confused:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Some people thrive on negativity and are unwilling to think for themselves. Fox news is the biggest fear merchant on TV. Life is a whole lot less stressful since I quit watching television.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I read an analysis of the popularity of right wing radio, and it made a joke/comment that long-distance drivers, truck drivers and salesmen, tune it in. It further extrapolated that these guys are lonely (true), bitter and angry (conclusion) from being on the road so much.

But if you think about the Daily Show, the true rival for "commentary/entertainment" to Beck/Hannity/O'Reilly ('cause MSNBC is still a news station), I watch it with friends and laugh at the stupidity, or when I am by myself, save it for later.

It was funny though, because I was over at my buddy's house watching Maddow, then he wanted to switch to something different, so he tuned in Jon Stewart, who was interviewing Maddow (and she was wearing the same exact outfit).

Later, we flipped on Beck for 5 minutes, and he made no sense as he drew on the chalkboard and raved about Ben Franklin.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Some people thrive on negativity and are unwilling to think for themselves.
true.
oh, msnbc much? i watch more maddow & bedwetter olbermensche (his coverage of prejean was mint) than all other fox pundits combined, if for no other reason why jd watches fox
Fox news is the biggest fear merchant on TV.
as raw numbers & ratings go, this is a fair point.
Life is a whole lot less stressful since I quit watching television.
but now you're not as "informed".

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think Stewart is funnier than any of the Fox guys. I laugh at the Daily Show, but I find myself getting angry if I watch Fox because some of the stuff they come up with just out there.

Plus, the Daily Show likes to take an event and show it from MSNBC, CNN, and Fox. The different takes are an interesting compare/contrast look at how perception can be created using tactical coverage.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I don't watch any news anymore, except the local guys occasionally. It's funny how they're the only ones willing to demonstrate even a hint of professionalism with regard to unbiased reporting.

Now I mostly just read my news on google and keep up with the latest tazings here on RM.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All cable news is a joke, one side editorial infotainment. 100 years ago they called it yellow journalism, actually quite the american tradition. I still think NPR is a great source for real news with actual details.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
All cable news is a joke, one side editorial infotainment. 100 years ago they called it yellow journalism, actually quite the american tradition. I still think NPR is a great source for real news with actual details.
...yeah I guess I do listen to NPR on the way in to work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am going to defend Maddow.

She interviews all kinds of people, like the guy who runs Freedom Works and the ceo of Duke Energy.

I can't say these interviews are slam dunks for liberals, but I thought it was a reasoned discourse.

She also interviewed the guy who thinks homos can be cured, and she slammed that dude.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am going to defend Maddow.

She interviews all kinds of people, like the guy who runs Freedom Works and the ceo of Duke Energy.

I can't say these interviews are slam dunks for liberals, but I thought it was a reasoned discourse.

She also interviewed the guy who thinks homos can be cured, and she slammed that dude.
But that isn't news. Print may be dead but they got one thing right, editorials/opinions are only worth one page. Present the known facts and let people form their own opinions. Cable news just jams opinions down peoples throats, they never even let one think. Just choose the channel that makes you feel good about yourself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Greed, anger and ignorance. Buddha called them the three poisons, the source for all human suffering. Fox news calls them a marketing strategy.