Quantcast

Why do some ebay sellers suck?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have had many happy ebay dealings, but this month has been crap! First I bought an item, paid for it, then 2 days later get an email from ebay saying the seller account has been closed and i shouldn't buy from them. Since I paid, I gave it a week and a couple emails. No word, so I get PayPal involved, 5 days later, I have me refund. But I still need the item.

This very thing happend 2 weeks before that with an item I paid for only to hear after the fact that the item was a pirate copy and not to pay. I paid! You own PayPal, you KNOW I paid.

And now yesterday I find (by mistake, even better thanks to fat fingers) a killer deal and ask the seller for a shipping quote. 8 hours, no word, auction geting close, but it's a screaming deal. So I bid, I win, and I send another email asking for a shipping quote and total so I can pay and be done.

Now it's been nearly a full day since I won the item and still no response from the seller. I know it's only a day, but I guess I pay more attention to my auctions (more so when it's over $500). To think the seller hasn't checked the auction or email yet seems strange to me. At least I haven't sent any money yet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Believe me, a lot of the buyers suck, too.

I just sold my Playstation 2 on eBay. Winning bidder obtained an incorrect, $4 quote to ship a friggin' original PS2, 2 controllers and 6 games to Florida, plus insurance.

When the auction ends, and I quote her a very reasonable $15 to ship it (no profit to me, that's my actual cost, not even including packing materials), she flips her lid. Tells me I'm quoting outrageous shipping costs and jacking up the price on her. My calm and polite emails, and offers to split shipping get no response besides more harassment. I finally end up filing a non-paying bidder claim, but even after that, I'm out some of the auction costs.

:mumble:

The only satisfaction I have is that my non-paying bidder claim was enough strikes against her that her account was suspended.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:

I just sold my Playstation 2 on eBay. Winning bidder obtained an incorrect, $4 quote to ship a friggin' original PS2, 2 controllers and 6 games to Florida, plus insurance.

When the auction ends, and I quote her a very reasonable $15 to ship it (no profit to me, that's my actual cost, not even including packing materials), she flips her lid. Tells me I'm quoting outrageous shipping costs and jacking up the price on her. My calm and polite emails, and offers to split shipping get no response besides more harassment. I finally end up filing a non-paying bidder claim, but even after that, I'm out some of the auction costs.

The only satisfaction I have is that my non-paying bidder claim was enough strikes against her that her account was suspended.
Luckily, a fellow RM bought one of your games. A no-hassle transaction, I believe...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
Ok, you're right there. I sold my son's BMX years ago and got "neutral feedback" from the buyer because he didn't know how to adjust the brakes. I had a 5 or so day email trail trying to explain how to adjust the front brake once the bike was together. I told him to take it to a shop and they would charge him $15, of that I would pay for half. His feedback said "Bike was sold with faulty brakes". He paid $45 for for a Mongoose Snipper (pre-Pacific), it was perfect when sold.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
Luckily, a fellow RM bought one of your games. A no-hassle transaction, I believe...
Yeah, a shady fellow if I remember correctly... the bills he sent me had a white powdery substance all over them :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
Yeah, a shady fellow if I remember correctly... the bills he sent me had a white powdery substance all over them :think:
Which you "tested" fully?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I have an eBay horror story for ya.

So this was a few years ago. I had bought an Apple iBook and due to various circumstances decided I needed to sell it shortly there-after. So put the thing up on eBay and some dude wins it .. I think it was around $1200. He pays via paypal, I ship. I think all is good.

A couple of weeks later the harassing emails start. He starts calling me a fraud and wanting to know where the iBook is. I reply, blah, blah, blah. This goes on for a week or two. That's about when I get a letter from the Dist. Attourney of his state. He's filed a claim against me.

Now I'm freaking out. I can't find the receipt from shipping the iBook, he's gotten paypal to "take back" his money and he's got the law on me. Out of a complete stroke of luck, I'm able to talk to FedEx and they find me a scan of his signature upon receiving the iBook. What an ass.

All-in-all I was out the $1200 for a solid 3 months.

Now if I sell anything over a couple hundred bucks, I use FedEx and keep ALL of the damn paperwork. Maybe that's common sense, but it took a serious ordeal for me to learn.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It seems to be getting more common that ebay accounts with lots of good feedback are getting hacked. Generally the hacker gets a few people scammed before ebay closes down the account. Sucks.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Echo said:
It seems to be getting more common that ebay accounts with lots of good feedback are getting hacked. Generally the hacker gets a few people scammed before ebay closes down the account. Sucks.
My password gets reset by eBay every week - they say there is suspicious activity, but yet all my sales are legit and there are no records of me bidding on anything that I hadn’t.

I am just about done with EBay. It's getting to the point where unless the deal is amazing, it's not worth the hassle. And even then if the deal is amazing - it's probably fake...

Once I finish with my current round of sales – I’m going to have them disable my paypal account. After all, if they can’t guarantee security on my eBay account, why should I trust them with my paypal account?!?!?!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I didn't want to say anything out of embarassment, but my ebay account was hacked last week. Someone put 30 listings for Chanel bags before Ebay locked my account.

For one thing, I am glad I use a different password for Ebay than I do for everything else, particularily Paypal. I wondered how this could have happened, considering I don't click on links from email and I only use 2 computers.

Ebay cleared this matter up without admitting it could have been their fault. But it has taken a long time to build up my reputation (25 positive transactions), and I want to maintain my status.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
sanjuro said:
I didn't want to say anything out of embarassment, but my ebay account was hacked last week. Someone put 30 listings for Chanel bags before Ebay locked my account.
Damn I think I had bid on one of those!!! :redhot:

I had one suspicious transaction, bought some stuff for a good price from someone in Phoenix, paid for it, received it satisfactorily, then got notified by eBay that the auction was voided and I didn't have to pay (Hello, eBay, it's complete, we have exchanged feedback...).

Maybe it's time for a routine password change.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A week or so ago I was browsing around and saw a bunch of ads for Roland Fantom X8 synths for $500 with free shipping. The street price for that synth is like $2500 minimum. The account had 100% positive feedback, over 2000 feedbacks. Before the auctions for synths, all their auctions were for watches and handbags. Anyone who couldn't figure out that was a hacked account deserved to get ripped off...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I sold my Big Hit, the guy got it and said it was fine, left feedback and it was cool. Then 2 weeks later I get a message from PayPal saying they are pulling the funds because of a despute (said he never got it).

Because I shipped with a tracking number to his verified account address, I got to keep the cash.

Well, on this deal he is charging me $125 to ship UPS (DHL quoted me $55), but I still saved $250 on the purchase.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
binary visions said:

For this very reason I always ship flat rate...I'd love to do quotes, but people always bitch and whine about it, so I just take the price it would take me to ship it to the East Coast, and go from there.

I hate shipping internationally for that very reason...

I've been jacked on shipping far too many times.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:

how much did your ps2 went for??